The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-22-2017, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

It was me that said you posted erroneous statements.

The statements you made that seemed (to me) inflammatory are these:

Quote:
The Cordoba has adjustable truss rods, because the quality isn't there.
That's equating quality to a truss rod and insulting to Cordoba - seems like bashing

Quote:
Cordoba's are put together on an assembly line in China, so they need to be able to be adjusted.
Need to be adjusted because of where they are made? Not a nice statement.

Quote:
The rods also absorb string energy, and deaden the sound. ...
The tone of a guitar comes predominantly from the soundboard

Quote:
The Kremona is dovetailed as they should be
define "should"

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 02-22-2017 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Rule 1
Old 02-22-2017, 10:49 AM

just to be clear.. per the Kremona website, your Kremona is built in a factory with 120 employees.

Cordoba guitars are indeed built in China in a similar sized factory.

FYI--- Córdoba guitars consist of three designers Kenny Hill: An internationally recognized guitar maker, player, and teacher, Hill has been building guitars since 1973. Edmund Blöchinger: Since 1982, Blöchinger has handcrafted guitars from the finest quality woods, and has worked closely with the great guitarists of the Romero family. Tim Miklaucic: A leading expert on the nylon-string guitar, Tim Miklaucic is the founder and president of Guitar Salon International, Tornavoz Music, and Córdoba Guitars. (Kenny Hill is no longer associated with Cordoba now that he has started his own line of guitars.)

I'm pretty sure that there is machinery used in both factories. Neither company makes a completely hand built guitar.

So, both the Cordoba and the Kremona guitars are on a factory "assembly line". Just as Martin guitars are built in an assembly line fashion.

I'm not sure anyone could state that one factories employees care more about the quality of the product than another's factory.

I've owned several different models of Cordoba guitars, crossover as well as standard classical. I appreciate the addition of a truss rod to make minute adjustments in neck relief.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

Last edited by dkstott; 02-22-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
just to be clear.. per the Kremona website, your Kremona is built in a factory with 120 employees.

Cordoba guitars are indeed built in China in a similar sized factory.

FYI--- Córdoba guitars consist of three designers Kenny Hill: An internationally recognized guitar maker, player, and teacher, Hill has been building guitars since 1973. Edmund Blöchinger: Since 1982, Blöchinger has handcrafted guitars from the finest quality woods, and has worked closely with the great guitarists of the Romero family. Tim Miklaucic: A leading expert on the nylon-string guitar, Tim Miklaucic is the founder and president of Guitar Salon International, Tornavoz Music, and Córdoba Guitars. (Kenny Hill is no longer associated with Cordoba now that he has started his own line of guitars.)

I'm pretty sure that there is machinery used in both factories. Neither company makes a completely hand built guitar.

So, both the Cordoba and the Kremona guitars are on a factory "assembly line". Just as Martin guitars are built in an assembly line fashion.

I'm not sure anyone could state that one factories employees care more about the quality of the product than another's factory.

I've owned several different models of Cordoba guitars, crossover as well as standard classical. I appreciate the addition of a truss rod to make minute adjustments in neck relief.
Well put, especially the last sentence in red. I actually appreciate my guitars having truss rods and it's always a buzz kill when I look in the sound hole of an acoustic instrument and there is none. I've owned many classical guitars with truss rods, and many without. I've sensed absolutely NO difference in tone between the two. So all things being equal, I'd rather have the guitars that give me options in case I want to tweak them to my personal taste. I've tweaked the truss rod on nearly every Cordoba I've owned... not because they were inferior... but because I wanted things exactly as I prefer them. Without a truss rod, I would have had to just "live with" things as they were. I'm a Cordoba fan who chooses their guitars not because of their name, but because they are my favorite nylon strung guitars that I've played and owned. That is why I keep coming back. I'd love to be an endorser of the brand not because I want free or discounted stuff... but to have my name officially associated with the brand.

I recently contacted Cordoba to buy a golpeador for my latest GK Pro (since they no longer include them on these models -- after hearing many customer requests to leave them off). I received a prompt reply from Daniel stating so, but telling me that they would send me one free of charge, and also asking for my T-shirt size -- which would also be sent complimentary because of my support for the brand. That's my second Cordoba T-shirt and I wear both proudly. I don't get paid to do it. I do it because I think they're amazing guitars and am happy and proud to be a long-time owner/player of them.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:49 PM

I`m still Happy with my Cordoba C5ce. Plays nice,sounds good and records Excellent. What more could I ask for and the string balance is Perfect!.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:54 AM

I thought I'd jump in again, since I just acquired a Cordoba GK Pro purchased locally at Instrumental Music in Santa Barbara (my Studio had a crack in the top I hadn't realized, since I bought it cheap on the internet). I had the golpeadors installed professionally and the guitar set up (it didn't need much) by Chris Jensen at Jensen's Music locally/

My initial impression so far is that the Pro has a very bright "In your face" projective quality compared to my other two Flamencos (a Flamenco Takamine TC-132SC special ordered with spruce top and cypress sides) and a Sanchis Flamenco Blanca, similarly constructed). Both have Takamine Palathetic/CTP-2 preamps/pickups installed.

The Cordoba is beautifully finished, very light, and sounds very Flamenco but so far (very subjectively) seems to lack the harmonic complexity of my other two guitars. However, the Fishman pickup system does accurately reflect the unplugged sound of the guitar with the mic blend turned all the way down (off) - I hate that "mic'd" sound for Flamenco.

The GK Pro does have the conventional nut width, which was a deal breaker for another Studio for me; I do a lot of alza pua, and the narrow nut width is uncomfortable for those and many other Flamenco right hand techniques I use.

The GK Pro is certainly worth the investment for me, and I will have to break it in and put new strings on it to really suss it out over time, but the prognosis is very positive indeed, and it is fast becoming my "goto" Flamenco guitar.

(FWIW, I use a Wampler Euphoria to add a little harmonic interest in all my Flamencos, but many overdrives available will also work; one merely has to learn how to adjust the gain vs. level to taste).
Old 10-21-2017, 10:28 AM
Guest 2143

I preferred the cedar top Cordobas to the Spruce top ones I was able to try. I bought a used C9 crossover (cedar) a while back after being impressed by the punchy, balanced, and resonant qualities of the guitar.

Off topic a bit - the string spacing at the saddle is 59mm, which is within the standard range for a classical guitar. It is just the nut that is narrower at 48mm. For me, the wider string spacing for the right hand and narrower spacing for the left hand is a great combination. Also, what I like about the C9 crossover is that it is a classical guitar, same at the C9 classical, except for the neck - narrower nut width, lower profile, and radiused fingerboard. It does not have electronics, a cutaway, thinner body, or other features of many other crossovers.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
Off topic a bit - the string spacing at the saddle is 59mm, which is within the standard range for a classical guitar. It is just the nut that is narrower at 48mm. For me, the wider string spacing for the right hand and narrower spacing for the left hand is a great combination. Also, what I like about the C9 crossover is that it is a classical guitar, same at the C9 classical, except for the neck - narrower nut width, lower profile, and radiused fingerboard. It does not have electronics, a cutaway, thinner body, or other features of many other crossovers.
Good point about the neck width; maybe it was my imagination or subjective preference, instead of having a real effect on my right hand technique. I didn't have a chance to check any of the other models except the Negra Studio, but didn't play it enough to be able to make a comparison...
Old 10-21-2017, 10:53 AM
Guest 2143

The GK pro might have narrower than typical classical guitar spacing at the saddle. I don't know.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:56 PM

I think the OP is on to something. I've had both a Spruce and Cedar C12 and I completely agree the cedar top seemed to sound markedly better all round. So much so that it was hard to believe they were the same model from the same maker.

I'm not taking a shot a spruce here, I'm just supporting in my (albeit limited) experience Cordoba gets better results with cedar.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

I recently acquired my first Cordoba, a used GK Pro, which has a spruce top andSpanish cypress back and sides. I LOVE this guitar! Sweet tone with great clarity, fully capable of flamenco growl when playing Flamenco music.

I also love the thin neck and the 50 mm nut and the 59 mm string separation at the bridge.

Do they make a spruce cutaway Classical model with the same neck dimensions?
Old 10-23-2017, 07:28 AM

I've had my GK Pro Negra for almost 2 1/2 years now.... It's been played at least 1-2 hours everyday... The spruce top has opened up very nicely.

I've owned my used 2015 Cordoba Solista with Cedar top for about 5 months now.. It's also very nice...it needs more playing time from me to really get the cedar to open up.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 10-23-2017, 02:11 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyknots View Post
when I am comparing a cordoba spruce top model to another spruce top factory guitar, like a kremona spruce top that I had a chance to compare for example, the kremona will show the brilliant highs and colors of a spruce top off bat, where (typical to the ones I play, and the spruce c9 I own) the cordoba spruce top will just seem muted, sound plasticy, and have almost zero resonance. Where the cedar cordobas, like the cedar c9's I have owned, will resonate so much that the entire guitar will vibrate. Am I just asking too
Ah - you just need to punch a couple holes in the side and sand down the main cross brace a little, you'll love what you hear then!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical