The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-17-2017, 04:25 PM

Default Neck coating wearing off my CA

Howdy all,

So I noticed this last gig run that what looks like the coating is wearing off the neck of my CA. it can occasionally get a bit irritating to my hand. I was looking at the other thread about using clear epoxy to fill a chip in the coat but didn't want to hijack his thread

Is there an easy way to fix this? can I just sand it smooth? or should I clear coat it? or just live with it?

Old 10-17-2017, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Did you try and contact CA? I would think they are the experts.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:57 PM
Anticipation Junkie

The problem is really hard to make out in that pic. Whatever is going on, it doesn’t seem normal, so if it’s a Peavey model, it’s likely best to contact them.

I’ve owned two CAs, an ‘08 Cargo (which I still own) with a neck with a smooth variation of the Road Tough finish (was only available on pre-Peaveys), and an ‘08 GXi (sold) that had a gloss black neck. The neck finish on my Cargo hasn’t changed at all and neither did the neck finish on the GXi in the four years I owned it.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:43 PM

Well unlike a wood neck there really isn't any need for the finish. If Peavey is of no help I would just sand it down to a matte finish progressing down (or is that up?) to 1000 grit or so. I mean at this point you've nothing to lose. Later if that proves unsatisfactory you could see about having someone clear coat it with polyurethane.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:06 PM

This is a PRE peavey CA. They want nothing to do with it I still have the email where they stated they do no service or repair on pre peavey models.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:08 PM

I just want it back smooth at this point not to bothered with how it looks, matte, gloss, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
Well unlike a wood neck there really isn't any need for the finish. If Peavey is of no help I would just sand it down to a matte finish progressing down (or is that up?) to 1000 grit or so. I mean at this point you've nothing to lose. Later if that proves unsatisfactory you could see about having someone clear coat it with polyurethane.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber