The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-19-2016, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Default 1972 Hernandis?

Played a 1972 cedar/rw Hernandis #2 in a shop and liked it better than everything else $2200 and under.

Anyone know if $1350 is a good, fair deal on these old Japanese workshop guitars? It comes with a case. It's a bit beat up, but just some top chips, nothing serious.

Most importantly, I like the sound better than the Kremona and the Cervantes they had (in addition to others).

There are a few super cheap ones on reverb so I wasn't sure why those were so much cheaper "but in better condition.". Consignment out of touch? I want to be able to get some of the money back when I inevitability want something fancier someday. I do like the idea of having a guitar that's older than I am though, ha ha!
Old 10-19-2016, 07:43 PM

I just took a look at the current reverb Hernandis and one that sold recently. From what I read, I think that you're wise to question the resale value of the one you played. What is it about the sound that stood out?
Old 10-19-2016, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
What is it about the sound that stood out?
It had great sustain, equal volume across the strings and felt good in the hands. (Based on reviews I have wanted a Cordoba C10 but can't find one to try in person!) I played it next to a $1600 Kremona and $2200 Cervantes and it was excellent. I understand part of the open sound is due to it's age vs a new Kremona. The Cervantes was nice but not for $1k more, there are other options in that price point.

If these were $100-250 new from Japan in the 70's I don't see why this one would suddenly be worth so much now that I've looked into it a bit. This is an older article, but articulates a bit more about why I'm scared of paying $1350 for a #2 when even the best #1 should only be 1k perhaps for the luthier version? http://www.ebay.com/gds/Hernandis-gu...3251895/g.html

I'd like to think I'm just missing something! It's a great store, perhaps it's just that the person with it on consignment paid too much?
Old 10-19-2016, 10:34 PM

I guess that whoever determined the price figures that it's an outstanding guitar, in great shape for its age. My experience with Cervantes is with the S/R and the C/Ov, nice, if not a lot of volume. The C/Ov has good clarity, though. The only Cordoba of consequence that I have is the lattice-braced C12, which has the Classical sound that I go for: rich bass with clear highs. I strummed a C5 hanging on a shop wall, and its power made me step back, though, I'm not in the market for a Classical (love my C12), so I didn't take it down to play.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Seems like no one in SF area stocks the fancier Cordobas.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Heard back from the store.
They verified that it was indeed the plywood backed one that should be much cheaper. However, the owner bought it at auction (probably paid too much) and his lowest price is still more than double a nicer condition one floating around.
Oh well. I'd consider paying for it if I didn't think I'd ever want to upgrade etc.! The store was very cool about it and apologized for the mistake so that's really cool!
Old 10-16-2017, 09:35 PM

This is my first post. I own a 1974 Hernandis Classical which I believe it is made of pine. I bought it new in 74 for about $700. I also owned a 1978 Ramirez that I bought new in 78 and recently gave to my son. I compared the two guitars and they were surprisingly close in tone. I am old (77) with marginal hearing, but I did this carefully in a quiet room with my ear next to the guitar body.

Don't know if this is the same Hernandis in question, but this is my experience. The one I have is obviously of decent quality. My $0.02

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical