The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-11-2017, 05:54 AM

Default New model Harp guitar from Emerald

Saw this video and two things struck me. One I didn’t realize that Emerald came out with a new model Harp guitar. I think this design is just breathtaking, he is such a artist with design. He continually takes it to the next level. And also the electronics really help this instrument perform. At one point you see inside the sound hole.

https://youtu.be/d_6hXZvYdj0
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-11-2017, 06:55 AM

It's a custom for Jamie Dupuis. 3 different PUs.
http://emeraldguitars.com/portfolio/...v=7516fd43adaa
Old 10-11-2017, 08:28 AM

Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback. I believe we launched the Synergy X20, our full size harp guitar, late last summer. It's cool that you spotted it being played by Jamie Dupuis. We are very honoured that he plays a custom Synergy X20, which Song kindly pointed out to you.

Best Wishes,

Sean @ Emerald
Old 10-11-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Guitars View Post
Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback. I believe we launched the Synergy X20, our full size harp guitar, late last summer. It's cool that you spotted it being played by Jamie Dupuis. We are very honoured that he plays a custom Synergy X20, which Song kindly pointed out to you.

Best Wishes,

Sean @ Emerald
Always late to the party! Lol
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 10-12-2017, 08:19 AM

Dont worry Steve. The Harp Guitar party is only just about to start.
Alistair
Old 10-12-2017, 09:44 AM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Too tempting!!!!!

I want a harp guitar and a fan fret like this (scale)... and you put them in one guitar!!

This is just awesome. The aesthetics on this one with the single bridge is quite stunning. The scale length is just right too, 25 to 26. This sweetens up the high strings, ads power and definition to the bass, all with a transition that is virtually seamless from the standard 25.5 scale. I also like where you put the perpendicular fret. It's like you guys have done this before... It makes 1st position not a horrible twist on the wrist but upper chord play still very nice. Good thing I'm not all that into black. First I need to get my hands on an X20. Then I can look to something as wonderful as this.

So do these harps thunder when you just play the guitar side?? The body is huge. 15¾ width is very manageable (my Taylor is 16¼). 6 5/16 deep is... DEEP. This guitar must have a huge voice! I would love to hear it and feel it in person. I know, I know... just buy it and it can all be arranged.

You guys REALLY hit it out of the park here. BRAVO!!

Old 10-12-2017, 01:28 PM

If only my talent deserved it!
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 10-12-2017, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
There's a talent requirement for buy-in?? Don't tell the Guitar Police - I'd be in big trouble.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
There's a talent requirement for buy-in?? Don't tell the Guitar Police - I'd be in big trouble.
You want strict ? You should try joining the UMGF.

After the initial 12 week “cooling off” period, the elders may start to consider your application, , ,
then , the inspectors/enforcers have the right to knock your door at any time of the day or night and demand not just to see your Martins,
but also test your skillset ,
which has to at least include recognisable versions of “Blackbird” , “Love the One You're With” , “Folsom Prison Blues” and a G run.

There is a three hour written test on the back stories of all the guitars of KY Dave , Todd Yates and Rich Macklin.

Anyone found lacking in any of these basic requirements is subject to unspeakable and humiliating penalties, followed by eternal banishment.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:43 AM

Unfreaking believable. Not late to this party!!!

http://emeraldguitars.com/product/sy...v=7516fd43adaa
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 10-13-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I thought that too until a few days ago. My original thought was that I should get quite good at fingertyle before moving on to a harp. Then I got to thinking about my bass playing journey. I started on 4 strings, had a couple of 5 strings, then got into the 6 strings. 6 is where I finally felt at home. I actually found it easier to play the 6 string! The additional low string gave me access to thunder, no more down-tuning. But the additional upper string meant I didn't have to position shift as much. If I wanted to do something interesting like add some upper melody lines while playing bass lines I could. 2 hand tapping now had more room. *By 2 hand I don't mean crazy over the top stuff... simple things like tapping out a bass line and adding some upper melody. It sounded like 2 different instruments playing basic lines.

Translate that to harp guitars. I get frustrated trying to write a melody line where I can have some open strings to ring out. Right now I have very few choices on a 6 string, so I have to change my tuning. A harp guitar gives me way more open string options for my bass notes. Plus I think it would sound so huge when just playing the guitar side. I wonder if I could still strum on it though. The harp strings are pretty close to the low E on the guitar side so I'd have to tame things down a bit.

The only change I would make to the awesome fan fret one is either have vertical carbon weave or a woody top. The sideways weave, with the single curved bridge and fanned fret makes for some weird optical lines. Still quite cool in it's own right though, some probably prefer it.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:49 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
I thought that too until a few days ago. My original thought was that I should get quite good at fingertyle before moving on to a harp. Then I got to thinking about my bass playing journey. I started on 4 strings, had a couple of 5 strings, then got into the 6 strings. 6 is where I finally felt at home. I actually found it easier to play the 6 string! The additional low string gave me access to thunder, no more down-tuning. But the additional upper string meant I didn't have to position shift as much. If I wanted to do something interesting like add some upper melody lines while playing bass lines I could. 2 hand tapping now had more room. *By 2 hand I don't mean crazy over the top stuff... simple things like tapping out a bass line and adding some upper melody. It sounded like 2 different instruments playing basic lines.

Translate that to harp guitars. I get frustrated trying to write a melody line where I can have some open strings to ring out. Right now I have very few choices on a 6 string, so I have to change my tuning. A harp guitar gives me way more open string options for my bass notes. Plus I think it would sound so huge when just playing the guitar side. I wonder if I could still strum on it though. The harp strings are pretty close to the low E on the guitar side so I'd have to tame things down a bit.

The only change I would make to the awesome fan fret one is either have vertical carbon weave or a woody top. The sideways weave, with the single curved bridge and fanned fret makes for some weird optical lines. Still quite cool in it's own right though, some probably prefer it.
If, by vertical carbon weave, you mean the weave is perpendicular to the strings on a single neck guitar (that’s how I would interpret it), then I have never seen an Emerald guitar done as such. However, if you mean that the weave is parallel to the strings on a single neck guitar, this is what Emerald refers to as unidirectional weave. The June Select Series Guitars we’re built this way. I prefer it myself.

By the way you describe your playing, an Emerald Harp Guitar seems like to could be right up your alley. Enjoy the GAS!

Last edited by Acousticado; 10-13-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
If, by vertical carbon weave, you mean the weave is perpendicular to the strings on a single neck guitar (that’s how I would interpret it), then I have never seen an Emerald guitar done as such. However, if you mean that the weave is parallel to the strings on a single neck guitar, this is what Emerald refers to as unidirectional weave. The June Select Series Guitars we’re built this way. I prefer it myself.

By the way you describe your playing, an Emerald Harp Guitar seems like to could be right up your alley. Enjoy the GAS!
By vertical I meant parallel to the guitar strings. like the June select. I now see that vertical wasn't the best word

As far as playing styles, yes and no. Yes as far as way more open string options. No as far as a bass player. There's no fretboard for me to play on, can't tap either. At first I couldn't figure out why no harp guitar have a fretboard under the strings, then I got it. A 6 string bass is tuned B, E, A, D, G, C with the C string being just over 2 octaves from the B string. Harp strings are tuned F, G, A, B, C, D all in one octave. There's no reason for a fretboard as you need those open string options.

I could get a double neck guitar with a 5 or 6 string bass neck in place of the harp strings. The upside is now I have access to ALL notes. #'s & b's, octaves, chords tapped harmonics and so on. The downside is that I would have to change tunings more often to use the open strings as harp strings. I could never tune it like a harp guitar without replacing almost all strings. You can't down-tune a whole octave without it becoming spaghetti!

As you can see I have been thinking about this quite a lot. Interesting conundrum! Step one is to get my hands on an X20 and see if I even like Emerald guitars! Tommy did some interesting work on this one to somewhat simulate a bass player walking down to a note. It's mostly a short walk but it works.

I'm going to add this as it fits in... sort of. It's ummm.... CRAZY!! Just get a triple neck. The bass neck is upside down (backwards). You fret up top by what would be the saddle for the low notes. I would assume the bass neck is only electric but...just found it so I don't know. I don't anything close to this stuff!!

Old 10-13-2017, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Wow! Those videos were impressive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber