The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-12-2017, 07:15 AM

Default New World Estudio 628 or Cordoba C9 Parlor

Does anyone have any experience in how these two guitars might compare from a playing and sound perspective? Both are short scale “7/8” sized guitars. However, the C9 parlor is all solid with mahogany back and sides while the New World Estudio has laminated rosewood sides and back. The Estudio can be had in cedar or spruce top. I do not think the C9 Parlor is available in spruce. These two models are pretty comparable in price. I would like to hear from those who might have experience with both these guitars, how they differ in sound, dynamics, playability, and which might have the most potential for a very average player who is just beginning to explore the classical guitar.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:31 AM

I don't think either of these will be a mistake - one of the first guitars I owned was a New World Player 628 (solid wood as opposed to laminate but pretty similar to the Estudio otherwise) and I have played a C9. Personally I would go for the Cordoba because they are excellent value for money, very easy to play and quite consistent.
Julie
Old 10-13-2017, 05:14 AM

You might consider the Cordoba C 10 which is the same size as the C9 but comes with rosewood back and sides and either a spruce or cedar top. Really nice small classical.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:35 AM

Thanks to you both for the information. I have considered the C10 Parlor in spruce as well. But lately it does not appear to be available. I do not have a real preference between rosewood and mahogany, aside from the aesthetic perspective. I have played several Cordoba models in music stores and they are very consistently good. I have not had a chance to play any of the parlor models. I have a noticeable preference for my steel string guitars that are the shorter 24 3/4” scale length and I think I would feel the same comfort with the 628mm scale of these smaller classicals. Thank you for your input on your experience with both Kenny Hill and Cordoba Guitars, Julie.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical