The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-18-2014, 02:17 PM

Interesting....I'm swaying toward the Performer now. I'm waiting until after this weekend, I really need to sell another amp (a Roland KC-550) and have a deal pending. If it falls through I may need to go to plan B and lay out the cash.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenstrings View Post
Loudbox performer is a great amp.. would have quality sound and all the power you want !
If its an older Performer with a metal grill, than its built like a tank in a good way..
Outputs on loudbox are extremely versatile if ever needed
Curious what you wind up with..
I am looking at a used older model with the metal grill. I see the older ones are 130 watts which is the same as the Artist. The older Performer has (2) 8" speakers and (2) tweeters. Would it be worth buying the used Performer or a new Artist (with factory warrenty). Both are the same price?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:04 AM

I own a Fender Acoustasonic Jr and play my Martin 000-15 through it, and so far it's served me well as an acoustic amp for coffeehouse and restuarant gigs. I tired out a Fishman Loudbox at the music store, and thought it sounded great with very pristine tones.
http://stevehung.bandcamp.com
Old 04-21-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXEL276 View Post
I am looking at a used older model with the metal grill. I see the older ones are 130 watts which is the same as the Artist. The older Performer has (2) 8" speakers and (2) tweeters. Would it be worth buying the used Performer or a new Artist (with factory warrenty). Both are the same price?
I believe the older Fishman Performer had Two (2) 6 1/2" drivers a 4" midrange and a Tweeter. The New Performer has a single 8" driver, a 5" midrange and a Tweeter. The new Performer has a fuller sound due to the single 8" driver.

That said, Larry's recommendation of the UltraSound DS4 with its twin Co-ax 8" drivers (tweeters are inside the center cone of the 8" drivers) really will give you a natural and fuller sound yet. I have heard all three and sound wise, the Ultrasound wins, it just falls short in connectivity, ergonomics (at least to me) and the effects are better on the Fishman with more control. (again my opinion on the effects)
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 04-21-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggleman View Post
I believe the older Fishman Performer had Two (2) 6 1/2" drivers a 4" midrange and a Tweeter. The New Performer has a single 8" driver, a 5" midrange and a Tweeter. The new Performer has a fuller sound due to the single 8" driver.

That said, Larry's recommendation of the UltraSound DS4 with its twin Co-ax 8" drivers (tweeters are inside the center cone of the 8" drivers) really will give you a natural and fuller sound yet. I have heard all three and sound wise, the Ultrasound wins, it just falls short in connectivity, ergonomics (at least to me) and the effects are better on the Fishman with more control. (again my opinion on the effects)
The older Performer has (2) 8" drivers, 5" mid and 1" tweeter. So your saying (1) 8" driver has a fuller sound?
The DS4 is only 50 watts which I think will not be enough. They have a 100 watt model but I'm not sure about it.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
The older Performer has (2) 8" drivers, 5" mid and 1" tweeter. So your saying (1) 8" driver has a fuller sound?
The DS4 is only 50 watts which I think will not be enough. They have a 100 watt model but I'm not sure about it.
We may be confusing models, here are the specs for the older Fishman Loudbox Performer specifications right from Fishmans website:
130W RMS, cumulative, tri-amped power with active crossover
Two 6.5 in. Woofers: 80W amplifier
One 4 in. Cone Midrange: 40W amplifier
One 1 in. Neodymium Soft-Dome Tweeters: 10W amplifier

The New Fishman Loudbox Performer is as follows, again from Fishmans Website:
Power: 180 Watts, bi-amped
Drivers:
One 1” Soft Dome Tweeter
One 5” Midrange
One 8” Woofer

Yes to my ears, the single 8" driver sounds fuller than the two 6.5" drivers in the original model. Your mileage may vary. I also think going with a Bi-amp design in the new model makes it less harsh and the bigger mid-range smooths out the tone.
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics

Last edited by briggleman; 04-21-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:35 PM

I own and play the Fishman Artist. I use it to monitor. I can also play bigger venues by adding a powered speaker through the Post DI out and still use the Pre DI out to the PA. It is light enough to be versatile on all fronts.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:37 PM

A local 2nd hand guitar shop ( run by the world's preeminent Les Paul Sunburst collector : ) has a Genz Benz Shenandoah Pro for sale. PM me if you want his contact info
Gibson Firebird non-rev '65
Moll 16" Flat Top prototype/custom
Fender USA Strat Deluxe
Wynn Mandolin
Conklin 5-string Century Bass
Conklin 5-string Fretless Custom
Englehart Acoustic Upright
Coxster Electronics Upright (mine)
Fender Ukulele
Dulcimer, Tenor Banjo, Kantele, Psaltry . . . .
Old 04-21-2014, 05:00 PM

I test drove an AER 60/3, AC60, Loudbox Mini, Loudbox Artist. I bought the Loudbox Artist. It's an amp I would have paid another $100 over the new price it's that good. Not regrets. It has great built in effects.
Ed

Hoffman L-00 w JJB
Kronbauer TDK w K&K
Martin OM-35 w K&K
Gibsons: J-150 w Fishman, CL-35 w JJB, Hummingbird w JJB, Les Paul Custom
Crafter TM-035 w JJB
Recording King ROS-647 w JJB
Voyage-Air OM-04, Washburn Red Rocker
Amps: Crate 2x12, Peaveys, LoudBox Artist
Pickups: JJB & K&K Mini
Callaway Big Bertha Clubs
Old 04-21-2014, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi AXEL...

If you plan to run bass guitar or keyboard through an acoustic amp, then you will need a 10" or 12" woofer.

An acoustic amp with an 8" (or a pair of 8") woofers will put out great acoustic guitar sound. If you need enough volume with the amp alone (no help from a PA) then you need something with at least a 12" woofer plus high frequency driver, or else you need a Bose tower, or Fishman SoloAmp 220, or something similar.

You will definitely encounter feedback issues trying to carry any room/auditorium with any noise (think coffee house) or audience which is making noise with a simple acoustic amp by itself.

Watts are rated so many ways, that specs don't tell the story. One company rates it's amps at 8ohms, another at 2ohms, and neither may tell you how much distortion their max figure contains. The real way to know is plug in your own rig, and try it out.

If/when the specs are the same, it takes 10 times the power to double the volume. So to double the volume of 50 Watts, it takes an amp which puts out 500 Watts. An amp rated at 50 watts at 8 ohms will outperform the volume of a 150 watt amp rated at 2 ohms.

With my dual source K&K pickups (mini plus internal mic), and my DTAR Solstice or Raven PMB blenders, I cannot stay on the stage with my UltraSound if it's turned higher than 1pm on the Master and 1pm on the guitar channel. (noon being straight up).

Size should be based on each person's needs, and other equipment involved on the stage at the same time.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-21-2014, 10:34 PM

Carvin AG100 - 300
Old 04-22-2014, 06:01 AM

Thanks all you guys for all your comments, it's been a real education! I ended up putting an order in for the Fishman Artist. I found an online distributor called Kraft Music that was selling a bundle including the Artist and a Gator carrying case ($50 value), something I would have had to buy anyway. Free shipping, no tax of course (love it). It will be at my door by the end of the week.
I was tossing between the Artist and a used older model Performer which was being sold locally. The Performer was in mint condition and the guy was selling it for a very fair price. Based on opinion here plus the fact that the Artist is new (warranty) and smaller ( I plan to use it as a stage monitor and go out into the PA) I went with the Artist. They are both 130 watts, just different speaker configs. There are better amps, but with the budget I'm working with it seems like this is the best choice for me.
If I hate it I can always send it back and start all over.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:31 PM

Fishman or Roland

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification