The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-17-2024, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Came across this cover by Trey Hensley. He nails LG’s slide solos:

The perfect couch-on-the-porch tune.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Nice! I’ve always wanted to over the tune and you just gave me the confidence to come up with an arrangement.

I notice your strap button is on the back of the heel…I always put mine there for years (both of my vintage Guilds and my HD28 are still that way). On my most recent install (Huss & Dalton CM Custom) I surrendered to the online peer pressure and put it in the treble side LOL.
Huss & Dalton CM Custom (thin body)
A whole lot more, trapping way too much money
Old 03-17-2024, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Bum View Post
Well, I look forward to you doing more videos hopefully in the future.

I thought that guitar was either a McPherson or an Emerald, and both of them are incredible. I remember the old carbon fiber guitars, and they sucked, to be honest.

We have a mostly very humid climate in NC. I keep all my guitars in cases/bags and humidify when I am running heat in the winter. My guitar collection is an old Martin D2-R that I played for 20 years (needs a bunch of work), an ancient Yamaha FG335 (which hangs on the wall), an Alvarez MD60BG, an Alvarez AD60, a Yamaha FG830 (my favorite guitar), and a Yamaha FG800. My son has a Yamaha AC1R, a Squier Classic Vibes p-bass, and a Squier Classic Vibes Strat. That's a lot of instruments; none of them is expensive, but they all have a lot of soul, lol. Which Martins do you have?
I’ve owned an Emerald X20, three different X7s, and borrowed an X30 for a few weeks once. The X7 was my favorite sounding Emerald by far, but it was pretty cramped to play. This Sable, for my ears, is the best sounding carbon fiber guitar I’ve played and I’ve moved on from my most recent X7 and ai guess from Emerald.

My Martins are CEO-7s and 000-28s. I have one of each in Oregon and one of each in Wilmington, but I may well sell one or both of the ones in Carolina because I play the Sable so much here. This is new to me. We just moved from the Philly area to Eugene, OR about a year ago (another daughter and soon another granddaughter there and we used to live in the PNW and missed it, and her). Prior to that, we drove down to Wilmington from Philly each winter and I brought my guitars with me. When we moved, I budgeted a couple more guitars into the cost of moving, so I’d have guitars I liked in each place, because I wasn’t gonna fly back and forth with them each year. We stored stuff at our daughter’s in Wilmington last summer and they did fine, because they were cased and in an air conditioned home so they didn’t get too much of the oppressive summer heat and humidity. But in the winter, when we’re in Carolina, the indoor humidity has really been a crapshoot. It’s usually high or low, rarely in the 45-50 or even 40-60 range. But we’re generally only here 3-4 months each year and I’m pretty sure I could just play the Sable pretty happily for that amount of time, so those two Martins may be on the block next winter.

Probably more detail than you wanted…

-Ray
Old 03-17-2024, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Came across this cover by Trey Hensley. He nails LG’s slide solos:

The perfect couch-on-the-porch tune.
Yeah, I have seen that. Trey Hensley is a monster player and singer. Paul Barrere played a lot of slide in Little Feat, too, and I bet some of those lines were probably his.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjojox View Post
Nice! I’ve always wanted to over the tune and you just gave me the confidence to come up with an arrangement.

I notice your strap button is on the back of the heel…I always put mine there for years (both of my vintage Guilds and my HD28 are still that way). On my most recent install (Huss & Dalton CM Custom) I surrendered to the online peer pressure and put it in the treble side LOL.
Man, it's an easy tune to adapt, and you can take it anywhere really.

Oh, that was how it came from the manufacturer, Alvarez. I am not crazy about the location, TBH. The treble side does seem like the best place.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I’ve owned an Emerald X20, three different X7s, and borrowed an X30 for a few weeks once. The X7 was my favorite sounding Emerald by far, but it was pretty cramped to play. This Sable, for my ears, is the best sounding carbon fiber guitar I’ve played and I’ve moved on from my most recent X7 and ai guess from Emerald.

My Martins are CEO-7s and 000-28s. I have one of each in Oregon and one of each in Wilmington, but I may well sell one or both of the ones in Carolina because I play the Sable so much here. This is new to me. We just moved from the Philly area to Eugene, OR about a year ago (another daughter and soon another granddaughter there and we used to live in the PNW and missed it, and her). Prior to that, we drove down to Wilmington from Philly each winter and I brought my guitars with me. When we moved, I budgeted a couple more guitars into the cost of moving, so I’d have guitars I liked in each place, because I wasn’t gonna fly back and forth with them each year. We stored stuff at our daughter’s in Wilmington last summer and they did fine, because they were cased and in an air conditioned home so they didn’t get too much of the oppressive summer heat and humidity. But in the winter, when we’re in Carolina, the indoor humidity has really been a crapshoot. It’s usually high or low, rarely in the 45-50 or even 40-60 range. But we’re generally only here 3-4 months each year and I’m pretty sure I could just play the Sable pretty happily for that amount of time, so those two Martins may be on the block next winter.

Probably more detail than you wanted…

-Ray
Not too much information. I love talking about guitars. Those are some very nice Martins. I like their smaller bodies more than their dreads nowadays--personally.

That's interesting about the McPherson being better than the Emeralds. I haven't seen either brand in person. I saw JP Cormier playing an Emerald dreadnought on some video recently, and it sounded incredible.

I appreciate all the information and background. My ex-wife lives in Snead's Ferry, so that's maybe 45 minutes from Wilmington. I always liked Wilmington, too. It's a good vibe kind of town.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Bum View Post
That's interesting about the McPherson being better than the Emeralds. I haven't seen either brand in person. I saw JP Cormier playing an Emerald dreadnought on some video recently, and it sounded incredible.
I like the Sable better. That doesn’t mean it IS better, maybe just more in line with my personal tastes / preferences. Lotta people VERY happy with their Emeralds. I was always keeping my ears open for something I liked better. Which I found, but I’m sure there people who’ve moved in the other direction too - from McPherson to Emerald.

I’m not totally crazy about Wilmington as a city, but I’m crazy about our daughter and our grandkids!

-Ray
Old 03-17-2024, 01:01 PM

That was good, and you sing well!
I enjoy listening to that... reminds me of the time I lived in Texas.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:36 PM

To those who regret missing Little Feat when Lowell was still around, I'm glad to say I managed to avoid that regret. I was lucky enough to see them, in '74 or so, and Ry Cooder was the opening act!

One of my favorite concert memories.

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 03-17-2024, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I like the Sable better. That doesn’t mean it IS better, maybe just more in line with my personal tastes / preferences. Lotta people VERY happy with their Emeralds. I was always keeping my ears open for something I liked better. Which I found, but I’m sure there people who’ve moved in the other direction too - from McPherson to Emerald.

I’m not totally crazy about Wilmington as a city, but I’m crazy about our daughter and our grandkids!

-Ray
Well, I love Yamaha acoustics quite a lot, and there are plenty of people who don't think too highly of them, so I know what you mean. As far as McPherson, they have always been highly regarded. I know that some of their wooden guitar sell for big bucks, too.

I hung out in Wilmington a little when I was younger, did some gigs down that way, and it was always a pretty chill place, I thought. But I completely understand about being close to your daughter and grandkids. That is what actually matters, my friend.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJ View Post
To those who regret missing Little Feat when Lowell was still around, I'm glad to say I managed to avoid that regret. I was lucky enough to see them, in '74 or so, and Ry Cooder was the opening act!

One of my favorite concert memories.
Good lord, that had to be an incredible show!
Old 03-17-2024, 03:21 PM

Yep! I also was lucky enough to see the short-lived Little Village project which was John Hiatt and Ry Cooder. Along that line, if you're not familiar with it give a listen to John Hiatt's (1989?) album "Bring the Family". Ry plays on every cut I think. It's phenomenal!

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 03-17-2024, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Yep! I also was lucky enough to see the short-lived Little Village project which was John Hiatt and Ry Cooder. Along that line, if you're not familiar with it give a listen to John Hiatt's (1989?) album "Bring the Family". Ry plays on every cut I think. It's phenomenal!
I love John Hiatt, and I know most of his catalog, especially Bring the Family and Little Village. Little Village was one of my favorite super groups--Hiatt, Ry, Nick Lowe, and friggin' Jim Keltner. Unreal! You have seen some stuff, I have to say.
Old 03-17-2024, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I saw Little Village too, same band I think as Bring The Family, which I think was 87. Peak Hiatt and Ry was always great… Nick Lowe was on that as well…

-Ray
Old 03-17-2024, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I saw Little Village too, same band I think as Bring The Family, which I think was 87. Peak Hiatt and Ry was always great… Nick Lowe was on that as well…

-Ray
That's so darn cool. John Hiatt and Steve Earle are probably my favorite songwriters. I thought Hiatt was kind of done, but then I heard this album he did with The Jerry Douglas Band a couple years ago, and the old dog has still got it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v0VaGuSTcE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell