The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-12-2024, 07:48 PM

Default This guitar neck it just too slippery..,How can I make it less slick?

Okay, so I had this problem before: the back of the neck was too slippery and I couldn't get a good purchase (or grip) with my thumb. The reason on that one was the previous owner had taken off most of the finish on the neck to make it a "speed neck."

I got it fixed by having a guitar repair guy put a French polish finish on the back of the neck. That problem solved.

Now I have the same problem, but with a factory finish on a used guitar.

How can I make it less slick? I know, some people really like slick necks, but that doesn't work for my hands.

And yes, I wash my hands before picking up a guitar...
Old 03-12-2024, 09:47 PM

I have frequently abraded the neck with 000 steel wool with success. You can dull it down as much as you want. The best news - you can polish it again if you choose to in the future.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

I would lightly sand it with a fine grade material of your choice (paper, steel wool, etc). Keep in mind, you are removing material. It will go back to gloss with use, after which you can do it again. If you get too aggressive you will end up needing to re-finish so go light. Many modern guitar finishes do not bond well with later coatings. So, unless it's nitro, re-finishing is likely going to be a hassle or not look great so, again, go light.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair