The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2008, 06:59 AM

Default Trade Ins

Other than a Buffalo Bros type deal has anyone ever gotten a really good trade in deal for a guitar? Sometimes a dealer will increase the price of what you are trading for to make you feel as if you got a great trade in deal. If you did where? Other than friendship deals. Just curious.

It's the Music That Really Matters!
Old 02-04-2008, 07:34 AM

I've had great experience with Guitar Emporium in Louisville. I traded towards a Martin and I knew I what I would get for a Fender Strat on e-Bay. These guys were honest with me about what they would sell my trade for and what they needed for the new guitar. It was all above board. I got a good deal both ways and I didn't have to sell to a stranger.
I've learned that there are certain guitars that you will never re-coup much of a trade or even re-sale on. However, there are so many factors involved in a trade-in, it's hard to make a general statement.
Also, anyone else use Music-Go-Round? I've have good luck there as well.
I don't think Guitar Center takes used, do they? Otherwise, I have heard of people who were very happy with Elderly for trades--but, I've never tried that route.
Good luck,
Fred
Old 02-04-2008, 07:35 AM

My best ever was a straight exchange of my little-used Taylor 314 for a new Larrivee Parlour and a used bass amp.
I happened to take my guitar into the shop on the off chance of finding something interesting and there at the same time was a friend who had gone in to buy the bass amp.
There was nothing suitable for me that was worth more than the Taylor, but I did like the relatively cheaper Larry. Not a good basis for part-ex. My friend agreed to buy the bass amp from me if I could get a deal involving the Larry and the amp. Amazingly the shop agreed a straight exchange, no cash involved. I expect the bloke in the shop already had a customer for the Taylor. I sold the bass amp to my friend once we got outside, and used the cash to buy a mandolin from another friend. So in the end, with no cash outlay,the Taylor that I didn't like much got me a great Parlour guitar, and a mandolin - both of which I still have and use regularly.
Bye now
Keith
Old 02-04-2008, 08:43 AM

In the New England area is a dealer called Daddy's Junky Music. They take lots of trades, and offer a buy-back trade up policy on new gear traded back in the first year. They make no bones about it ... a trade in (not trade up) will get the owner ~60% of what the store will ticket the item. Not a bad thing to know, since I know I can offer them a lot less than ticketed on a used item I want to buy ...
Old 02-04-2008, 10:16 AM

GC does take used guitars and equipment. I bought a used Martin CEO-4R there used. It had been traded in on a deal for an HD-28. I've never traded in there, but a keyboard friend of mine who always buys what is hot and new out there, trades in regularly at GC, and IMHO I don't think he gets that great a deal on his trades, especially seeing the cost of what he buys in exchange. Of course guitars do not go out of date like keyboard technology!

Keeping GAS in check:
It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got
Sheryl Crow & Jeff Trott-Soak Up The Sun
Old 02-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Elderly does that right?

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 02-04-2008, 12:54 PM

I was treated really fairly at Atomic Music in Beltsville, Md. They were interested in my Seagull Folk as a part exchange on a Larrivee parlor. They weren't interested in my wife's classical as they have very little trade in classicals. The agreed amount for the Seagull was very fair, and they also guarantee I can trade my Larrivee there for anything of greater value and they will credit me for the amount I paid for the Larrivee. Nice trade in policy. Don't think they invented it but I can't think of any other shops I am sure do the same thing.

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion