The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-30-2017, 09:39 AM

Fairhope is a nice place, but build that shop high so the next hurricane won't blow you away. And dehumidify - a lot! I'm disappointed for you not being able to head back to the NW - I know that's where a big chunk of your heart is - but on the other hand I'm much more likely to be able to visit your shop someday in Fairhope.

I'm curious about the sound port. Were you experimenting with finding the optimal size? The final results are beautiful, but it does look like you started larger and shrunk it. I love everything about this guitar - another Edwinson home run.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaprime View Post
Brilliant as always...and constantly evolving in positive direction.

That's one "creamy" looking top on that beauty.

I will be thinking of you often and offering good vibes for your move, Brother.

jeff
Jeff, you're always in my thoughts and prayers also, brother. You are a perfect exemplar of why I love my job so much. I've made so many long-time friends in this work. I mean, just look around this forum! Have you ever met a better bunch of people?
Back when I used to make my living as a photographer, everyone seemed so adversarial and competitive. Here in the acoustic guitar world, we all get along and lift each other up. That's what it's all about.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
Very nice!
Thanks, I'm a huge admirer of your work too!
Old 04-30-2017, 09:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
love it !, I've got to do one of those headstocks next time, just super cool AND I get a good excuse to skip the logo , lol....always look forward to seeing your stuff! thanks for sharing, J
I'm pretty blown away by the response for the new Omega open headstock design. This was instigated by my friend Ken Hobbs, for whom I'm building a Tree/Tunnel 13 guitar. He wanted the string pull over the nut to the tunerposts to be as straight as possible. So I took some design cues from those ravishingly sexy Casimi guitars, and also a Harvey Leach design, and came up with this Omega- which still manages to retain an Edwinson signature look. I'm very happy with the way this turned out, in both form and function.

I am going to ask Joel (Wood Knot) to help me shoot a video on how to quickly and easily string up a guitar with an open headstock- both the open Omega design, and the traditional slotted headstock. Some people who love the look of open headstocks are put off by the perceived difficulty of stringing them up. But my friend Robb Eagle, founder/owner of the Guitar Emporium out in Seattle, showed me the proper way to do it. It is so quick and easy, and PRECISE, it only takes five minutes start to finish.

Two quick tips: Cut each string to length, about 1 1/2 inches longer than the tuner post you are attaching it to; this will give you an optimum number of winds around the post.
Next, with a needle-nose plier, bend a 1/4" 90-degree angle in the string end- an "L" bend. That will make the string snugly grip the string post. This is a lot easier and more secure than feeding the string through the hole and then bending it.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:56 AM

This guitar is absolutely stunning. Congratulations Steve and also to the new owner of this fine instrument.
Ed
Old 04-30-2017, 10:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Gorgeous in every way. Bet it's comfy too. Congrats Steve ... on the guitar and the new shop. Hope your move goes smoothly.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm really sold on the comfort bevels. Especially on a larger guitar, like this one. It feels so easy, it's like playing a much smaller instrument. That makes all the difference, especially if you have arm, shoulder, or back issues. Personally, I have a hard time with a big, deep-bodied dreadnaught anymore. But this full-size Performance guitar feels more like a 00-size, with those bevels.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Steve,

I was more than a little concerned when I saw your thread title, specifically the "C/F" designation. My heart dropped and I thought to myself, yikes, he's gone dark, very very dark, you know, the CARBON FIBER dark kind of thang

But oh what a relief to see all of that beautiful wood on your new iteration. So precisely executed in every detail. You never cease to amaze and inspire Steve. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work and creativity. Best of success on your move.
Wow! Thank you, Tim. When one of the finest luthiers in the world (YOU!) praises your work, you know you've really achieved something special. I'll always see you as a Grand Master of our craft, Tim. Knowing the quality of your work inspires me to always try to improve my own craft...

The C/F is my new designation for "Cutaway/Florentine". Likewise, "C/V" indicates a round (Venetian style) cutaway. Now that I'm making scoop-cutaways, I'll probably add "C/S" to the nomenclature.
I don't think I'll ever build carbon fiber guitars. The romance of working with beautiful exotic woods is a huge part of why I do this- and you too, eh? Not that there's anything wrong with CF guitars. One of these days, I'm going to buy a CA Cargo guitar. Those little guitars are awesome. And you can take one anywhere, with no worries. You can even take it scuba diving, and serenade the fishes! Wouldn't it be interesting to find out if you can actually play a guitar under water...?
Old 04-30-2017, 10:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
I had the privilege of playing this guitar when Steve came down to Fairhope for a visit last month. I'm a sucker for Cocobolo, so it was "love at first sight" for me.

When I finally stopped staring at her with my eyes, and took her into my arms...my ears were treated to the most amazing sounds that I've ever heard from any guitar...ever.

She was shipped off the very next day, and I was surprised to find that there was a bit of sadness in my heart. This one was truly "one in a million" from my perspective, and I suspect that her new human is finding it difficult to put her down.

Great job, Steve...I'll see you next Friday.

Joel
Thank you, Brother! I have to admit, I was a little sad to send this guitar off too, because it has everything I want in a guitar. But that only impels the mission to build more of them.
And I know what you mean about the sound. That is the exact feeling I had when I played John Cotten's brand-new Tim McKnight guitar at the Healdsburg 2011 Festival. That guitar completely rocked my world, and jolted my perspective on what a guitar can sound like, into a whole new order of Being. I've gotten that same feeling of awe and reverence, the first time I plucked the open strings on a Kostal, a Kraut, and a Somogyi guitar. THAT is the THING I've been after, ever since. THAT SOUND.

You'll be making guitars like that soon, my friend.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Fairhope is a nice place, but build that shop high so the next hurricane won't blow you away. And dehumidify - a lot! I'm disappointed for you not being able to head back to the NW - I know that's where a big chunk of your heart is - but on the other hand I'm much more likely to be able to visit your shop someday in Fairhope.

I'm curious about the sound port. Were you experimenting with finding the optimal size? The final results are beautiful, but it does look like you started larger and shrunk it. I love everything about this guitar - another Edwinson home run.
Yes, Fairhope is a nice town, with a vibrant Arts and Music culture, and a laid-back Gulf Coast vibe. I'm really looking forward to it. I will return to the Pacific NW at some point, but the way the circumstances of my life have unfolded, there is no question in my heart or soul that this time in Fairhope was written into my personal destiny since before I was born. So I'm going to give it everything I've got.
Joel and I are forming an alliance. A synergistic enterprise. We'll be posting a thread very soon about how and why this all is happening; so stay tuned!

As for the sound ports, I have been experimenting with them, pretty much since the beginning of my forays into guitar making seventeen years ago. It is still an inexact science. But I am a committed advocate of the side-sound-port idea.
The standard, small-ish oval port on the upper bout, driver's side, really does give the guitar a more open, present sound for the player. And I think, on most guitar sizes/styles, there may be a rounder, fuller bass response.
On this guitar, I've made the port slightly larger than usual. And I really love embellishing a sound port with some inlay work. This will be an ongoing theme for the current generation of Edwinson guitars.

I've also made a number of what I call the "Tri-port" on the lower bout hip of the guitar. These also enhance the sonic output for the player; but interestingly, this sound port placement seems to favor the midrange and treble response.

Here are a couple examples of the Tri-port on the lower bout hip of the guitar:

...And here is an upper bout sound port with a slider built in, so the player can open or close the port, for really fine-tuning the response. This guitar is the first prototype of a new model, the Eclipse OM.

Way back in 2004, I made my first side-ported guitar with a slider, because I wanted to be able to perceive directly whether or not the side port really made a difference. Or, was it just a lot of hype, or a gimmick. Short answer: YES. It does make a difference! A decidedly POSITIVE one.
I found that about 90% of the time, I preferred keeping the port open; because it just made the guitar sound more round and resonant.

About 75% of the guitars I've made so far have the standard open sound port, either on the upper or lower bout. However, some of my clients have ordered their guitars with the slider. This really does expand the options for recording with microphones. Some early experiments back in Seattle showed that placing a mic over the player's left shoulder, pointing toward the port, and a second mic placed in front, pointing up to the sound hole, would produce a very interesting sort of organic reverb sound. With the port closed, and typical front only mic placement, the sound was still great, but not quite as three-dimensional as with the side port open.

I have a Zephyr 00 build coming up soon, and my client and I are discussing the idea of porting both the upper and lower bouts. My thinking is, use a standard oval port on the upper, and a 30% smaller one on the lower bout hip. I have a feeling this will really work well.
We'll be posting a thread on that build too.

Thanks to everyone for looking at this thread, and especially for all the kind and generous comments. You guys really make my day!

Last edited by theEdwinson; 04-30-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Thanks a million, Tom. We'll be in touch shortly, and do a collab soon!

Woop Woop

AND I recognize one of those beautiful lower bout tri ports on a beautiful Katalox back and sides!!!
Old 04-30-2017, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Steve, so sorry I've been out of touch of late, but stopped in today, and am so glad I did! This guitar is stunning, innovative and amazing in so many ways!! I know the lead-up to the move has been a tough journey, but I know you'll be wildly successful and happy. This a great start to a new chapter. Looking forward to all of the great things you'll be telling us as everything progresses!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-30-2017, 04:12 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

What a stunner! I can't say enough about how good this thing looks. Congratulations to the new owner! As a fellow owner of a few Edwinson guitars I'm sure this one sounds great also.

JR
Old 04-30-2017, 05:44 PM

Yet another beautiful guitar!!
I absolutely love your open headstock design, as well as your inspiration from Cassimi. I'm doing a semi scratch build myself, and I plan to do my own take on this design.
I've already completed one demo version to see how the string directions go, and ensure there is no entanglement of the strings. You really need to look at the design from an engineer's viewpoint!
In regards to the tuners, have you considered using locking tuners like those used in electric guitar builds?
Your method for re-stringing sounds very simplified, but using locking tuners would simplify it even more I believe. Or, have you already looked at this, and discarded the idea for some reason?
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 04-30-2017, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Impressive is the word that comes to mind. Wow ... love it!
Old 04-30-2017, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Wow, this is a knockout. LOVE what you are doing. Good luck on your quest for IT. I hope to own an Edwinson soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop