The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-02-2012, 03:32 AM

Johan, my Furch is custom as it has a 1 3/4 nut width nut and also ebony rather than rosewood fingerboard.

Here's a pic. Let me know when youre in Prague, I live a 2 min walk from the Prague Furch dealer, we can have look together, i know these guitars pretty well.

cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanEA View Post
Hello guys.

Thanks for the many answers in this topic.

I apologize for not writing a response - I have been busy at the job, and my internet connection has been down for a couple of days.

I've changed my plans, as I'm very eager to try the guitars - I've decided that I'll be traveling to Czech in the end of June/ Beginning of July instead of August, as I'd love to be able to play outside, before it gets all rainy and cold in Denmark.

@Lennylux - Thanks for telling me about The Tallest Man on Earth. His music was a pleasant surprise - but from the recordings of him that I found on Youtube he was playing on Guild guitars - I'll be making a playlist with a couple of his songs in the near future

@Gibbyprague - I saw in your signature, that you've got a custom Furch. Mind sharing a couple of pictures ? What's custom about it - aged top or slotted headstock?

Also if any of you Furch-entutaists got some good pictures to spice this topic up a bit, please share - I'd love to see your guitars
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 05-02-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanEA View Post
Thank you for the replies everyone - I'm overwhelmed that I've gotten so many replies. You made me a lot wiser I'm glad to hear that there was no need to worry about the bracings of the furch guitars.

@Grenvilleter – I don’t really get the joke with the white belt and shoes – care to explain it? (Never heard that one before, so now I’m curious  ) I know that winter is rough to the instruments, so it’s common sense that the guitars will become damaged. The same if you tie the guitar to your car and drag it alongside the road – it’s pretty much common sense that it will become damaged (or as some might say, “relic’ed”). The salesman in the store said that 9/10 Furch and other (in his words) “no name brands (not Martin/Taylor/Gibson) had poorly designed bracings, and therefore was not a safe investment.

Wow that was quite a lot of text – once again thanks for the replies, it’s pleasant to see the amount of replies I’ve got 
Don't read a lot in it Johan. There was a time when used car salesmen dressed in matching shoes and belt (usually white) would try to sell you a car that run for 30 minutes or 30 miles...whatever came first and tell you those other cars on the lot were just "junk".

Echoing others here, you will find your new Furch a world class musical instrument second to none. It will become easier to find reviews in North America on a "Furch" rather than a Stonebridge as Furch (same thing) are now importing to North America using the FURCH banner on their headstock. I'm not sure if they have plans on dropping the Stonebridge name or not.

Myself, although not a guitar, just purchased a Furch F-MF-24SF Mandolin and it is stellar in craftsmanship, tone and play-ability. Truly a simplistic work of art as well as a functional musical instrument.

It was the demo unit at the Musikmesse instrument trade show in Frankfurt this year and was just completed in March however, very bell like tone and astonishing projection. I can assume it is only going to get better as playing hours are increased.

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your soon-to-be guitar that I know will be one of the finest instruments that are made today.....bar none !
Old 05-02-2012, 07:22 AM

Here's ours:

[IMG][/IMG]
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-28-2012, 02:40 PM

I visited the Furch factory around 5 years ago and bought an amazing DR25
it's a fantastic sounding guitar
Old 05-28-2012, 08:33 PM

May I ask about the playability that Taylor guitars are famous for compare to these guitars (or maybe others) is the difference huge?

I too have heard good things about these guitars but can't try them out as the guitar center is a hundred miles away. I've started playing 3 years now but feel that playability is important for me to keep playing.

Paul
Old 05-31-2012, 06:36 PM

i have short stubby fingers and the Furch is a dream to play,
honestly it's one of the best guitars i have ever played, and i have played a lot.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:00 PM

Default Czech luthiers

Hi mate.
I don't know the particulars about the Furch guitars, but I can tell you this:

Many years ago, I met a violin maker and he said something to me that I will never forget: "You have to play the violin to be able to build a sweet one."
The Asian people are great craftsmen, nothing wrong with them. But the guitar is a foreign instrument to them. They follow plans and work hard to copy a pattern, but they can't feel the sound in their hearts.

The Czech & Slovak people are a cultured refined people who play guitar.
Listen to Slavek Hanzlik, for example. I would trust them to build a great guitar and they have a high reputation in Europe, also for resonators.

It sounds to me like you are on to something. Please report your experience for all to see how it works out for you and good luck with it.

"Never play a note you don't believe"
Old 07-23-2012, 12:40 AM

this is my furch and i love it..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc5a3JRLROU&feature=plcp
Old 07-23-2012, 05:32 AM

I'm interested in a 00-32 (OOM body, Slotted Head, 12 fretter with an optional 45,48mm nut)
Any one familiar with one of those?
2018 Larrivee 00-40 Custom
2017 Thompson HardRed Dread
2013 Jacobs SJ Sitka/Pao Rosa
2013 Eastman E20OM
2002 Takamine EAN60C
1997 Seagull Grand
Old 09-13-2012, 10:06 AM

WELLLLLLLLLLLL???
Where's the new guitar pics?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 AM

Default Furch OOM32SM

Cazon, I have one (a Furch/Stonebrdige OOM32SM), absolutely loving it!

My friend and former girlfriend, who suffered years of me buying and selling and playing acoustics commented that it's the best one she's heard. She loves it.

Really has a vintage dry crisp yet amazingly full tone. Sounds way bigger than it is, but still has that parlour guitar vibe.

There's a review by Doug Young of the Rosewood back & Sides one (the 34),
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4h0dMCCH1c

and here's a sound-representative demo of the 32 by Matthew Harder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOBmDXvXpCg
Old 03-26-2013, 06:36 AM

I have an Avalon Gold Furch D200. Excellent!!!

'83 Gibson J-25 l '93 Gibson J-45 l '06 Avalon Gold D200 (Furch) l Tanglewood TW73-WN l RK RP-06 l RK ROS-06 lRK RO-06 l Blues 32 | Alvarez AP70

Old 06-03-2015, 05:57 AM

Johan Andersen, did you eventually went to the factory? I'm planning to do the same this summer so I'm very keen to know how it was. Could you, or maybe someone else, answer the following questions:
  • Can you visit the factory and get a tour or something? Or is it not open for the public?
  • According to this topic and the site of Furch, there is a big showroom in Brno. How big is the showroom; do they have all versions in different kind of woods?
  • People talk about a store in Prague called Huml Music and it is on the route to Brno for me. On their site they only display a few Furch guitars, are there more in the store itself?
  • And lastly, can someone give/send me a pricelist they have/received from Furch in the local currency?

Cheers

2010: Eastman AC320
2014: Alvarez ABT60
2017: Eastman AC822CE-FF Fanned Fret
Old 06-03-2015, 06:45 AM

I can help you with some of the questions, living for 11 years in Prague. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -unknown View Post
Johan Andersen, did you eventually went to the factory? I'm planning to do the same this summer so I'm very keen to know how it was. Could you, or maybe someone else, answer the following questions:
  • Can you visit the factory and get a tour or something? Or is it not open for the public?

Im not sure, but I have a feeling you cant.

• According to this topic and the site of Furch, there is a big showroom in Brno. How big is the showroom; do they have all versions in different kind of woods?

Its in the old town square, its not that big but holds all the models.
  • People talk about a store in Prague called Huml Music and it is on the route to Brno for me. On their site they only display a few Furch guitars, are there more in the store itself?

They have most of the models, altogether there are more than 20 models you could try, more than enough. All shapes and sizes.
  • And lastly, can someone give/send me a pricelist they have/received from Furch in the local currency?

Not me

Cheers
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 06-04-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
I can help you with some of the questions, living for 11 years in Prague. See below.
Thanks for replying. So judging on your comments its better to visit the store in Prague instead of Brno?

2010: Eastman AC320
2014: Alvarez ABT60
2017: Eastman AC822CE-FF Fanned Fret

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
brno, czech, furch