The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2010, 04:42 PM

Default Question about this 914ce

Hey Everyone, I am looking for some help. I just got this 2001 914ce. Would anyone be about to tell me if the top is engelmann or sitka spruce? Also I'm a bit stumped I thought the bridge's were supposed to have an inlay on them, but this one doesn't. Anyone know if they made them with out the inlays or could the previous owner had the bridge replaced? Thanks in advancehttp://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee356/abandonedagenda/914ce/2.jpg

Last edited by Trickledown; 03-21-2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:53 PM

I don't know if this resource is mentioned elsewhere on this site, but I would guess that many people would find it helpful. It's The American Woods, by Romeyn Hough.

You might be able to find the real thing if you live near a university with a good forestry school. The original has thin slices of wood cut in different directions. The website has high-resolution images that you can enlarge and is almost as useful as the original.

This is Sitka spruce (below, click here for larger image)

This is Engleman spruce (below, click here for larger image)

Old 03-21-2010, 04:19 AM

thanks for the post, it looks to me like its engelmann which I was thinking it was. anyone have any ideas on the bridge inlay? Or should I say lack of?
Old 03-21-2010, 01:19 PM

I'm not sure on this, but I think the bridge inlay thing is relatively new (only a couple years old) I've had my eye on 914s for a long time, and I don't remember there being bridge inlay all the way back on '01.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion