The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2017, 05:11 PM

Default Eva-Dry E 333 Too big for inside cases

I read some old threads about this "mini" dehumidifier and decided to give one a try. I'm not sure they even post it's dimensions at Amazon but it arrived today and I am surprised at how big it is. It's 6" x 4 3/4" x 1 1/2"
It seems too big to put in a case and won't even lie flat under the headstock.
You wouldn't want to move a case without removing it if it will fit at all. I guess it would fit {at an angle} in the accessories compartment but then you'd have to drill holes in it.
I haven't taken it out of the package as I plan to return it. Seems like a good idea but would have to be half that size to be practical for a guitar case.
Is that why I don't hear too much about them at AGF?
Thanks for your replies!
Dave
Old 07-26-2017, 05:17 PM

The accessory compartment is far from airtight. (If you don't believe me, try putting half an onion in there overnight. Your entire case will smell inside the next day). Putting your drying device it in there should work, assuming it physically fits. It is also possible that the dimensions of the product have changed since the older posts. A certain amount of the drying product - presumably silica gel - is needed. Otherwise the gel will saturate quickly and need to be changed quite often.

I've put damp sponges in the accessory compartment for years, and the humidity gets out into the case at large with no problem. Hygrometers in the case near the head stock and placed inside the body have proved that to my satisfaction.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:17 PM

Thanks Earl.
I broke down and took it out of the package and it DOES fit in the accessory compartment in most of my guitar cases, though just barely in a couple of ooo's. I guess I'll give it a try!
Old 07-26-2017, 07:22 PM

I have mentioned them on AGF. I first read about them in an article about a Hawaiian luthier who provides them for the guitars he makes. I live about a mile from the ocean here in Rhode Island and the humidity in the summer is usually in the 80-90%, sometimes higher. Right now it is 72%. I have a Gibson LG2 AE and it fits in the case compartment. Tonight it reads 60%-the room is 72% coming down from >80% earlier. I also have a Martin CEO7 and the eva dry fits under the headstock no problem. That one reads 68% but the indicator is pink so I just plugged it in to recharge. I usually get 3 weeks or longer when eva dry is re-dried. We don't really use air conditioners (my wife is always opening up all the windows) but I found the eva drys help me keep the inside of the cases where my guitars live around 60%-sometimes a little higher and sometimes a little lower. It's not optimum but it helps take the edge off.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion