The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennD View Post
I've got a Taylor 522 (all mahog) and a Custom GC (Macassar Ebony/Cedar) and I don't think anyone would consider them to be too bright..I certainly don't!
How are you liking that 522?
Old 07-26-2017, 11:53 AM

If'n the average age is 60 here, I'm basically a teenage punk.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:01 PM

You know what I just realized....I see so many people that just don't seem satisfied with the Taylor sound, but yet I don't see people ever really complaining about the Martin sound. Sure, people complain about the factory Martin setup or just the overall feel or playability, but never the sound...
Old 07-26-2017, 12:07 PM

Taylors seem bright to me, but it's not necessarily a problem, I bought a Taylor, and I really like it.

I'd be curious if others think the Academy series have the Andy Powers "voice", they are obviously not a redesign of an older guitar, so would he have designed them to sound more like some of these "redesigns" or like the old voice? That's what I bought, an Academy 12e.

I can really, really hear the Martin sound when I've tried Martins. It just doesn't necessarily excite me. I want to be excited and then I'm not. I have not tried a martin with rosewood back and sides though. I'd be scared from a price perspective if I fell in love with one.

I have not tried an all Mahogany Taylor.. I have tried the all Mahogany Martins in a store. I would find it hard to believe the all Mahogany Taylors would be too bright. The Martins were probably too dark for me.

I also would expect the "brightness" of Taylor guitars to be grossly effected by:
- Player skill, highly skilled players can probably shift the tone, I know for me it feels like things shift based on little variations when I play, but I can't control it at my skill level.
- Selection of music
- Things like strings

I have yet to try anything but the stock Elixirs on mine.. I inevitably will as I have a bunch of other strings in the drawer to use.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Bob View Post
Its been mentioned a few times on this forum and my 110 definitely is on the bright side. Not that I mind, it cuts through nicely when playing solos with my acoustic band. Is it the 3 bolt on neck screws? Design?
The neck screws. It's gotta be the neck screws. They should have stopped at 2.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
You got your highs BACK? How?

This is documented? I don't doubt you, I'm just wondering how you know.

Hearing devices.

There was a recent survey of the demographics of AGF. If I find the thread, I'll post. I believe it was median age not average. But I can't remember.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:32 PM

that's the way they are made. some folks like them and some don't. some taylors with some strings may be brighter, or not as bright, as others.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-26-2017, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

They don't use aging toner in their finish.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 07-26-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
You know what I just realized....I see so many people that just don't seem satisfied with the Taylor sound, but yet I don't see people ever really complaining about the Martin sound.
Players don't complain about the Martin sound but recording engineers do. Then again, they complain about everything. Big Martins have great single-string tones but they're boomy strummers. Taylors aren't boomy strummers but they're boring for single-string.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Players don't complain about the Martin sound but recording engineers do. Then again, they complain about everything. Big Martins have great single-string tones but they're boomy strummers. Taylors aren't boomy strummers but they're boring for single-string.
I would tend to agree with you, but the way you said it really just reminded me of something.. I find the following to also be roughly true if I fiddle with what you said.

"Electric Guitars have great single-string tones but they're boomy strummers. Acoustic guitars aren't boomy strummers but they're boring for single-string."

Makes me think if you're good enough you figure out how to change your technique to bring the most out of a Martin vs a Taylor.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
Makes me think if you're good enough you figure out how to change your technique to bring the most out of a Martin vs a Taylor.
In practical terms, if you're in a session and it calls for a strummy part, you leave the Martin Dread in the case and instead bring out the 000-style or the Taylor or the Guild.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:58 PM

None I have owned or played seemed overly bright.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
You know what I just realized....I see so many people that just don't seem satisfied with the Taylor sound, but yet I don't see people ever really complaining about the Martin sound. Sure, people complain about the factory Martin setup or just the overall feel or playability, but never the sound...
Martin makes enough wood and size combos that they're not all winners. One weakness of some guitarists is they don't figure out why something doesn't sound ideal. Like anything, guitar tone can vary.

If playability is priority, it's hard to warm up to a sound if the neck bugs ya. I'd like to think Taylor's sales numbers might make Martin, Taylor, and Fender tighten things up. It sounds like Martin has been paying attention.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

On my recent guitar quest (ended up with a Larrivee 000-40r), I went to both big box stores with the intention of giving Taylors another chance as I've owned a couple and didn't care for the tone but figured I give them another shot since they do have nice necks, as a rule, and play quite easily. I played every Taylor steel string (except dreads which I was not looking for) in stock at both locations and didn't like any of them - could have been the strings as I believe they put Elixirs on at the factory and I'd rather use old screen door wire than Elixir strings. I tried them when they first came out and took them off within a couple of days (and they weren't cheap!) as I hated both the tone and feel on my Gallagher. Maybe it's a combination of the bracing and strings but they just didn't turn me on at all and any of the models in my price range were laminate and made in Mexico so I went looking elsewhere.

Some people love 'em - that's cool!
Old 07-26-2017, 03:41 PM

I do think Taylors are bright, I am not saying that I have a problem with it. You need to have the right guitar for the right song, that's why there are so many manufacturers out there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion