The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-24-2017, 08:35 AM

Default Taylor 412-R vs Larrivee 00-40 / 000-40 vs Yamaha LS16

Hi all,

I've done a lot of reading here over the years as a guest, but this is my first posting.

I have the "I need something else" bug. My only guitar is a 2016 Taylor 412 rosewood limited edition. Full gloss, non-cutaway, no electronics - just the way I like 'em. Really beautiful guitar that sounds great, especially with Martin retro monel strings.

I'm considering selling it and getting one of the other guitars listed in the title. I'm looking for input / opinions / pros and cons.

The other option is to just keep the Taylor. Would the Larrivee or Yamaha be a downgrade? I like both rosewood and mahogany, but can only have 1 guitar.

The other wildcard I'm considering is a Martin 000-15M, but unsure if that could be my only guitar.

I like to play (try to play) bluegrass and some Grateful Dead, Beatles and such. I pretty much always play with a pick.

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-24-2017, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

First of all, welcome to AGF. I like my Taylors like you, full body and no electronics. I would suggest that you take a serious look at Taylor's 714 and 814 models. They are really amazing guitars, and I think you'll be blown away by the tonal differences from your 412, a great guitar in its own right....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-24-2017, 10:58 AM

Thanks! That seems like a vote for "keep the Taylor."

I'm really a fan of the 12 body size and don't think I'll go for the 14 shape. After going from a D-18 to a 412 I don't think I'll ever play anything larger than an OM again. I would love an 812 someday - not in my budget anytime soon though!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

I have a brand new Larrivee 000-40r coming this Thursday (patience Grasshopper!!) and I'll let you know how I like it. I mostly fingerpick and the 'L' body Larrivee that I bought recently was a little too big for my aging shoulder. Granted, the '000' is not that much smaller (hopefully enough), but I'm really looking forward to the 12 fret neck. I've read that the '000' also works very well with a pick if you don't push too hard - I've also heard reports that the voice of this guitar is HUGE compared to it's size. What little pick style playing I do is Doc Watson, semi-bluegrassy type stuff and fiddle tunes so I'm looking forward to trying it for that. Since you play mostly with a pick, you might check out the mahogany version or the 000-50. I've owned Martins since I started playing in 1960 and they're great guitars but for the price, I'm completely sold on Larrivee - I've never played a bad one.

FWIW - I seriously considered the '00' body size but I had a Martin 00-18 one time and it was a great instrument but, too me, just not powerful enough for anything but recording and the couch. YMMV
Old 07-24-2017, 01:51 PM

Congrats on the new guitar! I'm excited to hear about it. That's good feedback on the 00 size. Fortunately, 99% of my playing is on the couch, so comfort is a huge factor. I loved the sound of my D-18, but it was just too big. I think Martins are wonderful guitars, but I also think they're overpriced.

Does anyone know if Larrivee uses tropical mahogany or African mahogany for their guitars? Does it really matter?
Old 07-24-2017, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_bob View Post
Congrats on the new guitar! I'm excited to hear about it. That's good feedback on the 00 size. Fortunately, 99% of my playing is on the couch, so comfort is a huge factor. I loved the sound of my D-18, but it was just too big. I think Martins are wonderful guitars, but I also think they're overpriced.

Does anyone know if Larrivee uses tropical mahogany or African mahogany for their guitars? Does it really matter?
Not sure, but they make some of the best mahogany guitars out there. Check with Jason at Notable Guitars - he can tell you anything you need to know and he's great to deal with. There's also a 00 rosewood on the Larrivee forum that really tempted me - I think there's a pic.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:53 PM

I have a Larrivee OOO-40. It is a joy to play. It's my first 12 fret guitar and I am a convert. Not only is it very comfortable to play but, with the newer bracing system, a pretty large departure from the standard Larrivee (balanced) sound with a little more emphasis toward the bass end of the tonal spectrum. It would be an understatement to say I love this guitar. However, I'm not you and I've never played a Taylor. I love a guitar with East Indian Rosewood and, if I were you, would keep the Taylor.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:01 PM

Ed Bob - Its not clear why you are considering the change or what is drawing you to the replacement guitar candidates. Why are you considering selling the Taylor? Why are you considering those replacements? What about them do you feel is more of a fit for you than the Taylor? How did you arrive at the two possible replacement guitars?

I cannot speak to the Larivee as I have never played it. I own the Yamaha LS16R (rosewood) version. I cannot say whether either is a downgrade from the Taylor as I have never played that Taylor, but the Yamaha is definitely less expensive than the Taylor. That does not mean it is a downgrade - that would be up to you to decide.

I like the LS16 very much but it is my first and only smaller bodied guitar - folk or OM size. I'm used to, and I probably prefer, dreads - the smaller body is no worse, just different. As for quality and build, the Yamaha is top notch and well appointed and it sounds good and plays easily. I only own Yamahas - not because of a particular brand bias but because I feel they offer solid value for the money.

It seems to me that you are looking for something different than what you have but you are not clear why you are looking or what your criteria are for what you are searching for. This clarity would help us help you.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 07-26-2017, 08:08 AM

Justin - I'm not exactly sure what I want other than a smaller bodied guitar. I realize that can make it difficult for folks to weigh in. I don't have the opportunity to play a lot of different guitars in my area (central Vermont). I've also found that playing a guitar in a store doesn't really give me a good idea of its true sound and feel. It's not until I put my preferred strings on and play it in my own home that I can really start to discern the differences.

I'm 26 and haven't played a ton of higher end acoustic guitars. There's nothing in particular that I necessarily dislike about the Taylor. I just don't have the feeling of "This is the guitar I want to own for the rest of my life." Maybe that's an unrealistic expectation to have of any guitar though.

I also don't have enough experience to know if I have a preference for rosewood or mahogany or for 12 or 14 feet body styles.

I did select the Yamaha and Larrivee models for their good reviews and for the value they offer relative to their cost. My budget would be basically whatever I could sell the Taylor for plus maybe $200.

I guess the sort of things I'm looking for in comparing my Taylor to these other guitars are general tone and feel, how well constructed they are, how long they will last without needing expensive repairs or neck re-sets, how well they come set-up (action, neck relief, etc.), customer service.

I don't play enough to be able to justify owning more than 1 guitar. What I'm looking for is a solid all around guitar that will be played mostly on the couch and occasionally with a couple friends. I'm more of a lead player and flatpickes than I am a rhythm player or strummer.

I hope that is able to offer some clarity to my situation.

Thanks for all the response so far!
Old 07-26-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_bob View Post

Larrivee is using Khaya (African Mahogany) on their -03 and -40 series. Same as Martin is using for their sub -18 series.

Given the choice, I'd take an OM-40R or 00-40R (or OM-40W...) over the Taylor any day, not sure I'd trade out a Rosewood Taylor for a Mahogany Larrivee though. (just personally not that big a mahogany fan)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-27-2017, 01:36 PM

Since you are young and relatively new to this, and you don't think the Taylor "...is is the guitar I want to own for the rest of my life," give the Larrivee a go. The only way to find out what you like is to experiment.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:43 PM

The Larrivee would certainly not be a downgrade. If anything, it would be a nice upgrade IMO.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Larrivee is using Khaya (African Mahogany) on their -03 and -40 series. Same as Martin is using for their sub -18 series.

Given the choice, I'd take an OM-40R or 00-40R (or OM-40W...) over the Taylor any day, not sure I'd trade out a Rosewood Taylor for a Mahogany Larrivee though. (just personally not that big a mahogany fan)
I second taking a look at the Larrivee. I have an OM-40W and absolutely love it. Its a completely different animal than any Taylor so you'd be making quite a departure from the Taylor sound but if that's what you're looking for, I can almost guarantee you won't be disappointed with the Larrivee 00-40, in Mahogany or Rosewood. Having owned Larrivee's in Mahogany, Rosewood, and now Walnut, Walnut is my favorite and Larrivee knows how to work Walnut.
Fender Custom Shop Classic Strat
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Reissue (Curtis Novak P/U's)
Larrivee LV-03RE (Sold)
Larrivee DV-05E (Sold)
Old 07-27-2017, 10:26 PM

I'd keep the Taylor. Sounds like you don't really have a problem with it, just a little GAS! If you bought the Taylor new you'll take quite a hit on it. Just save and slowly add a guitar if you want another. What if you mss the Taylor and don't like what you get next?

Breedlove Cascade C25/cre
Fender PM1 Deluxe
Yamaha ll16R A.R.E.
Martin Dread Jr E Sitka

Eastman Cello
Old 07-28-2017, 09:08 AM

All good points! I paid $1,440 for an Ovangkol 412 brand new (Sweetwater yellow tag deal). I then sold it for $1,100 and paid $1,175 for the 412 rosewood (my current guitar). I guess that leaves me with about $1,500 invested in this guitar - still not a bad deal in my opinion.

What do y'all think a fair asking price for the 412-R would be? It's a limited edition 2016 model with a full gloss body in almost pristine condition. Only one tiny nick in the finish on the top near the binding.

The only reason I sold my original 412 for $1,100 is because I knew I could get the rosewood version for a difference of $75. The person I bought it from said that $1,175 was really lower than he was comfortable with, but he wanted to get rid of it quickly.

I guess I should try to find somewhere in Vermont that carries some Larrivees before I go forward with selling the Taylor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion