The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-23-2017, 04:31 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Default Saturday night live TV music shows like Midnight Special and Rock Concert

Many here will remember these Saturday night live music shows back in the day.....Burt Sugarman's Midnight Special and Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. I always looked forward to them and really enjoyed. I have recently youtubed footage. It was quite nostalgic.

Although so much crap pop music has commanded the media for some time now, there is a lot of great music still being played by artists/bands that doesn't get any attention. If any of the networks were to see an opportunity in resurrecting such a format on a Saturday night (or any other night), do you think it could work and would you like to see it? If so, could it be a way to resurrect quality music?
Old 07-23-2017, 05:36 PM

What you suggest reminds me of the British show Later...with Jools Holland, which is nearing its fiftieth year of continuous broadcasting; a competent blues-rock keyboard player in his own right, he offers a broad-based mix of long-established "classic" acts, '80s/90s favorites, current artists, and at least one up-and-coming or non-mainstream performer on every show - many of whom would have received little if any other mass exposure, and few if any of whom will ever make it across the Atlantic. Unfortunately, I don't think an American-based equivalent will fly in the current network-TV market; other than the occasional special variety shows were dead by the early-70's, which IMO effectively relegates it to MTV/VH-1, PBS, regional cable channels, or syndication - none of which are going to provide the requisite financial returns to keep it on the air over the long haul...
Old 07-23-2017, 05:44 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
What you suggest reminds me of the British show Later...with Jools Holland, which is nearing its fiftieth year of continuous broadcasting; a competent blues-rock keyboard player in his own right, he offers a broad-based mix of long-established "classic" acts, '80s/90s favorites, current artists, and at least one up-and-coming or non-mainstream performer on every show - many of whom would have received little if any other mass exposure, and few if any of whom will ever make it across the Atlantic. Unfortunately, I don't think an American-based equivalent will fly in the current network-TV market; other than the occasional special variety shows were dead by the early-70's, which IMO effectively relegates it to MTV/VH-1, PBS, regional cable channels, or syndication - none of which are going to provide the requisite financial returns to keep it on the air over the long haul...
It's interesting that you mention Jool's show because it came to my mind, as I've watched many episodes and really like it. That said, although there are similarities, I see a late Saturday night show like those I mentioned as being somewhat different, providing an American context and promotion of talent. You could be right that these days it wouldn't fly, but I think it should.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:41 PM

Austin City Limits is still going strong on PBS. That was the show I watched most once I got around 15. Midnight Special and Don Kirshner's were a lot of fun, too. And I really loved Soul Train, too.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Austin City Limits is still going strong on PBS. That was the show I watched most once I got around 15. Midnight Special and Don Kirshner's were a lot of fun, too. And I really loved Soul Train, too.
And going back even further, Shindig and Hullabaloo....and even further back The Lloyd Thaxton Show.
Alvarez MD60 Herringbone
Guild GAD-50
Old 07-23-2017, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

I still try to catch ACL on PBS when I can. I remember the Stevie Ray Vaughan shows... fabulous! And the old SNL shows always had a musical guest and they were usually pretty good.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:10 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Yeah, Austin City Limits...I forgot about that and haven't seen a show in quite a long time. Gonna have to pay more attention and watch again. Still, I'd personally like to see a late night dedicated live music show featuring quality performers/musicianship.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:55 AM

Anybody here remember Hee Haw and Lawrence Welk? That was my Saturday night before my mother would tuck me in. Okay, maybe not Welk because when the bubbles started it was usually my bath time but I certainly did watch a lot of Buck Owens and Roy Clark back in the day when country music featured a lot of "steel guitar" and you could read the names on the headstock.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:34 AM

I heard at one point John Mayer was going to do something along the Jools vein but I don't think it ever came to be. I would like to think there's still enough of us around to appreciate live music to make it a worthwhile endeavour....or is North America so full of itself it can't take the time to appreciate it
Old 07-24-2017, 06:47 AM

David Sanborn had a really good but short-lived show on Sunday night, appropriately called Night Music.

He had a really eclectic bunch of musicians on the show, and had them doing stuff way outside of their usual genre.

Most of the episodes are up on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...B67ygnne5vFd5l
Old 07-24-2017, 06:55 AM

I have my doubts we'll ever see those types
of shows on the major networks again.
Cable has it covered pretty much and we get AXS on our cable provider which offers a lot of different stuff like Daryl's House and old and new music and artists, concerts, documentaries and so on.
The major networks have become trash to me for the most part in all aspects.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-24-2017, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Yeah, Austin City Limits...I forgot about that and haven't seen a show in quite a long time. Gonna have to pay more attention and watch again. Still, I'd personally like to see a late night dedicated live music show featuring quality performers/musicianship.
Well that is EXACTLY what ACL does. But the genres are all over the map, which I think is good.

Some guitars
Old 07-24-2017, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Anybody here remember Hee Haw and Lawrence Welk? That was my Saturday night before my mother would tuck me in. Okay, maybe not Welk because when the bubbles started it was usually my bath time but I certainly did watch a lot of Buck Owens and Roy Clark back in the day when country music featured a lot of "steel guitar" and you could read the names on the headstock.
Watched a lot of Lawrence Welk while visiting with my grandparents. There was a lot of good stuff behind the rather bland presentation. Same with Hee Haw, I loved it!

Thanks for the memoires, Neil!
Old 07-24-2017, 08:16 AM

I really like the Jools format of having 4-5 stages all facing each other and the artists take turns. It keeps it fresh and it's interesting watching the artists get a front row seat to each other's show.
Just need to find good access to more of his shows I guess
Old 07-24-2017, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

No - I don't think it would work.

Remember, back then the only way to "watch" music was a show like this. Now, with Youtube, there is an infinite supply of music. Back then users didn't get to choose what they wanted to watch. The producers pushed THEIR choice of music on the viewer.

Nowadays, people have an "infinite" supply of whatever they want to watch.

I loved the MTV-era. It created so much of our culture and defined my formative years. But no one (myself included) would want to sit and watch MTV anymore.

In this example, there's no going back.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic