The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-23-2017, 08:57 AM

Default Why do they even bother?

I believe most, if not all, commercial websites have a "Contact us" clickable.
It takes you to a form where you fill in your name, contact info and what your question or comment is. I don't use this feature often, but mostly when I do, I end up with no reply. If I'm contacting a company it's always a question about a product of theirs that I've purchased or I want info about one of their products because I am considering a purchase. Either way, I'm a customer or potential customer. Nine times out of 10 I get no response. To me that can indicate a lot about a company. Gibson: forget about any contact from them, but one might expect that from the mighty Gibson. Even Taylor who has wonderful customer support on the phone doesn't reply to my emails or "Contact us." Most companies don't even acknowledge receiving your email or "Contact us." Only companies I've had success with is Sweetwater (simply marvelous response), Marshall amps, Danner boots and Gretsch (via Fender support), Music Nomad (excellent response). Even Dave's Guitar shop where I purchase all my guitars hasn't responded to a query I've sent them. Quite disappointing. But mostly I've come to the conclusion that it is a waste of my time and risk of carpal tunnel syndrome contacting these companies via the contact info they post on their websites.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:05 AM

Within the last couple weeks, I used the "contact us" form at Carter's Vintage Guitars in Nashville. I was asking about an instrument that was probably the 3rd or 4th least expensive item they had in stock.

Within hours, I got a response from "Walter" who I only realized later was Walter Carter. Had a bit of back and forth with him via email and he always replied pretty quickly.

You would have thought I was was buying one of his $175,000 plus Lloyd Loar mandolins.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:18 AM

G7th Capos.

Fantastic customer service.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
G7th Capos.

Fantastic customer service.
With the exception of Gibson, all the companies in my post have excellent customer service...on the phone...just not via the "Contact us" form on their websites.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Here's a closed thread initiated by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales last February that seemed to cover this topic pretty thoroughly....http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ighlight=email
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-23-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
With the exception of Gibson, all the companies in my post have excellent customer service...on the phone...just not via the "Contact us" form on their websites.
Thats what I meant with G7th. The email reply came back almost before I pressed send.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

I purchased a guitar from Elderly this spring. Part of the process involved sending an "I'm ready to buy" message via their "contact us" interface and receiving no reply after 24 hours.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 07-23-2017, 10:16 AM

well, you could try calling some of them: press 1 for, press 2 for, press 3 for, press 99 to hear all 99 messages again. oh, you say, press 0 to get a human being. nope, that is not a valid response. how about the ones that use your voice: say representative. you do 5 times and they still say, we didn't understand you. we should get the hint--there is no customer service anymore!!

guess i'll go play guitar.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-23-2017, 12:26 PM
Guitar Gourmet

With Dave's I called and was immediately connected to a warm body.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-23-2017, 12:30 PM

I don't give them a chance to bother, or not, because I don't use the feature. I call. If the call ends up connecting me with The Borg, I'll assimilate elsewhere.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
With Dave's I called and was immediately connected to a warm body.

Bob
You've missed the point. As I said, Dave's and most/all of the other companies I've mentioned (Not Gibson) are very good with customer service...IF you call them on the phone. If you email them or especially if you use the "Contact us" feature on their web site I simply get no response. That's my "why bother with 'contact us'" post. Why would the offer that feature if they're not going to pay attention to it?
Old 07-23-2017, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I believe most, if not all, commercial websites have a "Contact us" clickable.
Ha, if you think that's bad just try it on a politicians web page. They have several additional steps and use a completely different email system. So you can't use yours. Evidently they don't want that many emails.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-24-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Within the last couple weeks, I used the "contact us" form at Carter's Vintage Guitars in Nashville. I was asking about an instrument that was probably the 3rd or 4th least expensive item they had in stock.

Within hours, I got a response from "Walter" who I only realized later was Walter Carter. Had a bit of back and forth with him via email and he always replied pretty quickly.

You would have thought I was was buying one of his $175,000 plus Lloyd Loar mandolins.
That is a great shop. I've never done business with them online, but I visited my buddy in Nashville and we went there to browse and drool. I was a bit intimidated to play anything, but one of the sales staff came up and said "don't be afraid to try out anything...just pick one out and play it." I thought that was very nice of him since just about everything in there is pretty expensive.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:21 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
You've missed the point. As I said, Dave's and most/all of the other companies I've mentioned (Not Gibson) are very good with customer service...IF you call them on the phone. If you email them or especially if you use the "Contact us" feature on their web site I simply get no response. That's my "why bother with 'contact us'" post. Why would the offer that feature if they're not going to pay attention to it?
Perhaps I'm a harbinger of your answer: I decided not to even waste time with an email because I wanted a quick answer when I wanted to buy a guitar. Perhaps they've seen that behavior in the majority of their paying customers and just give less attention to the email stream? Not saying it is right, but perhaps the way it is...

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-24-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
That is a great shop. I've never done business with them online, but I visited my buddy in Nashville and we went there to browse and drool. I was a bit intimidated to play anything, but one of the sales staff came up and said "don't be afraid to try out anything...just pick one out and play it." I thought that was very nice of him since just about everything in there is pretty expensive.
What would worry me more is trying out some instrument and seeing the guy/gal who wrote or recorded it standing there. From his videos, no telling who might be there on a given day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic