The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-11-2015, 06:47 PM

Paris, Patch has given you good information.

The only way I would ever consider getting an Ovation guitar top replaced is to have it done at the factory. Over the decades, Ovation has used all sorts of glues and uncommon production methods that can make it very difficult to get them worked on by local repair techs. So talking to the folks at the factory is probably the single most productive thing you can do.

Good luck with this.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-11-2015, 09:03 PM

Just before the Factory got shut down, by Fender, I was about to send in a 12 string for a top replacement, and I THINK, John Budny quoted me around $400. I could be wrong. But, they were going to do what Patch said. Remove the neck and electronics and replace the bowl and top.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 11-12-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisStarlight View Post
What did you pay for the last one you sent? (I know it will be different for every different case) Did they just fix the top or replace the top and bowl? Was the burst a customization?
Looks amazing! That is why I am considering doing it. The 1617-7 is beautiful, so I feel if I can get it fixed for under $500 it is entirely worth it.
It's been a few years, and as I said, they are under new management which may have changed things a bit for all I know. But, this guitar started as a cracked-top 1657 Anniversary. They looked like this....

My customizations included Adironack bracing in the scalloped-LX pattern, an Adirondack top, upgraded OP-Pro Studio electronics, and the burst finish. I have always found it cheaper to have them replace the top and bowl together as there are less man-hours involved. I think the repairs ran me about $800 + shipping. If they custom built a guitar to these specs, the cost would be in the $3K neighborhood.

I still think the best thing to do is send some decent pictures to John and get his input. Then you know where you stand and can decide accordingly.

If they can't do it, let me know. There is a guy on the OFC who has done straight-up top replacements for a few members there since we all thought Ovation-USA was history for the last year. By all accounts, he does great work at a reasonable cost, but you would have to ask him dor a quote based on what you need. Here is a link to one of his projects involving an early 60's Balladeer. It pretty much speaks for itself.

1967 Ovation Balladeer Rebuild

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 11-12-2015, 11:13 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmcg View Post
...I have always found it cheaper to have them replace the top and bowl together as there are less man-hours involved...
I have a soft spot for Ovations, but little experience with such custom work on one. Question - if you're replacing the bowl and top, then all you're saving is the neck and maybe the electronics? They'd do all that for $800? Seems you'd be better off just looking for a used example in better condition, but maybe I'm not seeing the big picture.

Also, if they replace both the top and bowl, do the put a new sticker in it with the old model and serial number or do anything else to identify it as a rebuild?
Old 07-26-2017, 06:34 PM

Question My Ovation 12 string question.

I purchased a beautiful 1986 Special Edition Ovation 12 from Manny's music in NYC. I'm the orginal owner. It's hardly ever out of my house. In 2008 the front had a hair line crack right down the middle. Manny's got in touch with Ovation for me. They very professionally repaired the guitar and it's still as beautiful as the day as I received it back from Ovation. Over the last few years hair line cracks are appearring on the binding of the neck where the frets are. My question is this: Is the lifetime warranty still in effect since it does have a lifetime warrenty? I didn't know that Ovation has gone through a lot of bussiness changes. Can any cast a little light on this subject?? Thanks..
Old 07-26-2017, 06:47 PM

As far as I know lifetime warranties for original owners are still honoured. But it may be partial for parts and labour. Best to contact them with pictures of the problem.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:01 PM

This is how I flattened an Ovation top (don't tell my wife):

The center ply of wood is oriented the weak direction. It looked like a wash board. It's probably not worth the time. I did it for practice. All braces were loose. Top had cracks through the thick finish I fixed with CA glue.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerv8 View Post
My question is this: Is the lifetime warranty still in effect since it does have a lifetime warrenty? I didn't know that Ovation has gone through a lot of bussiness changes. Can any cast a little light on this subject?? Thanks..
Tiger, the guy to ask is Patch, who has excellent connections with the folks at Ovation. His contact information is found by clicking on his screen name in the thread above here. Ask him, then do whatever he recommends. He'll steer you straight.

whm
Old 07-27-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
...I wonder if anyone ever "re-bowl'ed" an Ovation?
Probably the bowls are like cockroaches and twinkies.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerv8 View Post
I purchased a beautiful 1986 Special Edition Ovation 12 from Manny's music in NYC. I'm the orginal owner. It's hardly ever out of my house. In 2008 the front had a hair line crack right down the middle. Manny's got in touch with Ovation for me. They very professionally repaired the guitar and it's still as beautiful as the day as I received it back from Ovation. Over the last few years hair line cracks are appearring on the binding of the neck where the frets are. My question is this: Is the lifetime warranty still in effect since it does have a lifetime warrenty? I didn't know that Ovation has gone through a lot of bussiness changes. Can any cast a little light on this subject?? Thanks..
Tiger,

If you are the original owner and registered the guitar when you purchased it (or still have the receipt maybe), then any warranty issue will be honored. However, the actual question to be answered is whether or not the cracked binding is actually a warranty issue. And only John Budny can answer that for you. He's also the only one who can give you a repair estimate if necessary. Take a picture, send it to him, and ask him what your options are:

[email protected]

For a guitar that's 30 years old, it is possible that the cracks come from "normal" wear and tear. If and when it is repaired, bear in mind that despite their reputation as "plastic" guitars, Ovations are still mostly made from wood. Unless you have one of the Adamas resin-infused, walnut fretboards, yours is either ebony or rosewood and is every bit as susceptible to the vagaries of seasonal climates as any other guitar. Expansion and contraction of that wood over the years could easily crack any synthetic neck binding.

Either way, if you get it repaired, keep a humidifier in the case. In fact, it's worth keeping one in there regardless to protect the instrument into the future.

Good luck, and be sure to let us know how things turn out.

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion