The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2017, 11:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Physically challenging music and guitar ergonomics/specs

Something I was just thinking about... what is the most physically challenging piece of music that you are either working on or performing these days, and for those with multiple instruments, is there a certain spec, body size, scale length etc that has an appreciable affect on your ability to play the piece?

For me, I've got under my fingers (but am a long way from perfecting) an arrangement of "Maple Leaf Rag," mostly based on the Pat Donohue version. The first two strains are no problem, but getting into sections 3 and 4, with a lot of barre chords or intervals based around barre chords, it starts to become pretty physically challenging (to keep up at 85 bpm, anyway). I'm playing it mostly on my Kopp K-35 prototype with 1 3/4" nut and short scale, which is the same spec as all my other guitars, though the neck profiles are a little different.

What piece is it for you these days, and do you feel confident as to whether the instrument is playing a part in helping or hindering you, or is it more mind over matter?

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 07-26-2017, 11:11 AM

I think short scale helps fingerpicking but Ive found that another 1/16" on the nut cleans my playing up quite a bit. I have a 1 3/4" custom but its relegated to strumming now. I also play better with nails than without. Some players say a wider spread at the saddle helps and to some extent yes but 2 1/4" seems ideal to me. Im working on Craig Dobbins' At the Cross now. Very nice arrangement with a few sections kinda difficult but doable.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:42 PM

I find a 1 3/4" nut, and an arm rest help me play cleanly and with more comfort. I do all my own set up work so I can have the fret height/shape and string height set perfect for me on every guitar I wish to spend the time on. I make my own saddles out of Ivory or bone to get the best intonation/tone on any guitar that may need some tweaking. Some capo's are better at preserving the sustain/tone. A good seat, or standing with a comfortable strap are a must for long playing sessions. It inspires me to play more cleanly to listen to other finger pickers who do, and to listen to myself through an amp, which really reflects the smallest errors. Recording and listening to myself helps also.
The most challenging things I play are my own arrangements. I push myself to add more and more to a piece, until it sounds too busy and cluttered. Then I can trim it down so it then seems easier to play, and becomes way more pleasing to listen to, instead of trying to show off how skilled I can be. I'll take serenity over ego, any day. I am not a rock star.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

I've been working on Al Petteway's Sheep at the Door, which is not technically hard at my normal playing speed of 100-140 bpm, but this is clocking at around 180bpm, so it's hard to keep my volume even while pushing the speed. I find as I get older, I want to play slow, mellow stuff as its just easier and you can get a song finished sooner. It is fun though to chase the rainbow and hope to pull it off eventually.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-26-2017, 01:22 PM

I admire you all for the issues you're having. I play only the most basic chords and strum with a pick. I'd love to sit and take the time to learn how to finger pick and do fancy stuff but unfortunately most of my "fun time" playing I spend just memorizing the lyrics and chord changes to easy songs. Maybe someday...
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 07-26-2017, 02:04 PM

I'm working on speeding up the 4th movement of the first Bach violin concerto. I definitely find it easier to play on the 000 with the slightly shorter scale.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 07-26-2017, 04:25 PM

Ive often wondered if a multiscale guitar would help. My fingers just dont match up to normal fret placement. Alas Ive not found any store that carries one and Ill never be able to buy one I guess with the other specs I deem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion