The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-24-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmcg View Post
Several years back, I took down my signature line because of a similar post. I didn't make a special post about it or anything. I just took it down. I felt responsible for having inadvertently offended someone on the internet. (Regardless of the obvious cliche....)

A couple of days later, I got a PM asking about one of my guitars. The forum member specifically stated that he was looking for one of the models I owned and could not remember what its number was. He mentioned that he enjoyed looking at other signature lists as he found instruments he never heard of before and enjoyed researching them.

I discovered a couple of things in that conversation: 1) I enjoy talking about guitars, but no one will ask about a guitar if they don't know what model they are asking about. They can't ask, "That's an Ovation right?" or "I see you have a 2001 Collector's. I have a chance to buy one and was hoping you could tell me about it." if they don't know you play one. 2) Apparently there is a fine line between "vulgar" and useful".

I obviously put my list back up, and I am more than old enough to realize it does absolutely ZERO harm at all. As such, I don't have to give a tinker's tool if someone finds it "vulgar" or "classless" or any other condescending/holier-than-thou adjective. In my experience it has proven useful, helpful, and harmless over quite a few years. For me, it's a simple as that.

You make a very valid point...

I can't count the number of times since I've joined here, that I've messaged someone to ask a question or two about a guitar I've seen in their posted list...I've gotten lots of valuable info that way...

It's one of those things I call, "Might help, can't hurt"...

And as said, I just enjoy talking with others about guitars...
Old 07-24-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I just enjoy talking with others about guitars...
Boy, do we have a lot in common!

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 07-30-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Collection sigs are the latter. If I want to know what you play, I'll ask. No need to write it all out on a billboard I'll see several times per page.

You may not be bragging, and I accept that. But it feels like bragging to me, I find it vulgar, and I don't care for it. So I turn off the sigs and block the occasional misguided souls who feel obligated to paste their signature into every post.

I also wear clothes, shoes and accessories without visible branding, and find clothes/bags/etc with ostentatious logos tasteless and revolting (whether cheap like TOMMY HILFIGER gold sequins or expensive like the "LV" Vuitton puts all over their stuff). My nicer guitars have no makers' marks.

To each their own. But I'm not going to apologize for preferring restraint
Great example of referring to rule #1 which you were just lecturing other members on.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:59 PM

Yikes! We are becoming nuts here. I only list them so when I post about a Taylor 324 or a cheap OM1 or an OM28 that people know I have some experience with the mentioned guitar they are inquiring about.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I think we need to ban listings of instruments in signatures...seriously. It has to cause some people a problem to see what others have worked so hard (or taken so much debt) to get. We're all about avoiding problems, right?
Yes I totally agree. We should also ban the use of barre chords and the first position F chord in "Show and Tell" so we don't make others who can't play them feel inadequate.

One day back when I was about 34, when I was working in construction, I had stopped in at a store to get a soda. I was covered in grime and dirt*** but inspite of that I wanted something for the ride home in my used Chevy. A guy about the same age as me got out of his brand new nice looking car, wearing a smart looking suit, having worked his full day at work without breaking a sweat to get something at this store also.

So I looked at him.

And thought.

I signed up for community college, worked out a deal with my boss so that I could go full time with most classes at night and the rest during the day. Made the dean's list for two semesters. Transferred to a four year school, changed jobs to work in my selected major area. Took me 6 more years at night but I got my degree. Almost 30 years with that same company now.

We're not rich, I don't have $10,000 guitars, but I have a few decent ones. We have a good life.

I didn't like where I was so I got off my butt and changed it.

If someone takes offense that someone has nicer guitars in their signature than what they own and they don't want to see them, what do they do when they drive through a neighborhood that has nicer houses than where they live? Kinda hard to drive with the eyes closed.

*** Not to be interpreted that working in construction is second class to working in an office. My situation at the time with the company I was in and the area of construction that I was in was not favorable to the life style I had hoped to achieve.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 07-30-2017 at 10:48 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic