The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-01-2017, 04:42 AM

Default Questions about latency and Focusrite 2i2

Hi everyone,

I posted this on the Reaper forum and only got one reply. I'll try here.

=============================================
Been testing Reaper for about a month. Purchased the license last weekend. Great value! Anyway a couple of questions:

1) I recorded the metronome on my iPad using Reaper and my Focusrite 2i2 (Gen 1) direct connection. Next I played the metronome track (using Reaper) through my speakers and recorded it on another track using a microphone. I had the Direct Monitor switch on. This would be equivalent to overdubbing my guitar for example. The "clicks" on the two tracks lined up perfectly. Un-measurable. This tells me that Reaper is perfectly compensating for any latency in the process. I tried this with a well known open source recording program and the re-recorded clicks where off by tens of milliseconds. I played with the latency settings but could not get the clicks to converge towards an acceptable value. Hence the reason for considering Reaper. The question is: Is this a valid test?

2) I want to get another Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I have read on this (Reaper) forum that the gen 2 drivers a buggy. Amazon still has gen 1 units available. Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks in advance for any comments. Reaper is an excellent program and value. I haven't even scratched the surface.

Terry
Old 07-05-2017, 08:36 AM

A good DAW should automatically compensate for system latency, as Reaper does. Can't say why the other 'open source' DAW you tried doesn't, but that's as good as reason as any not to bother with it.

Why do you want to get another 2i2? You could try the forums at homerecording.com for driver opinions and other info.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-05-2017, 02:15 PM

Cool Focusrite 2nd.Gen.

I'll be finding out when my 6i6 arrives Saturday .

That said :

From the limited research I have been doing for the last 6 months , these issues with [ buggy ] driver issues have been when owner's of the
1st Gen downloaded the 2nd. Gen drivers in hopes of a lowering the latency and for some it worked while many had issues over it .

Win 10 users are mostly posting positive comments overall on all the 2nd. Gen units . You can see a lot of the 1st.Gen units on ebay and
Reverb for sale , that's a possible indication that these people want to get the lower latency 2nd Gen. unit .

I'll be busy as can be trying to figure out how to down load the bundled software , it's kind of time consuming the way it's structured to protect the
the manufacturer - oh well - it's a dirty job but someone has to do it .

I reviewed [ EVERY ] single youtube video on the 6i6 available to date , the 2i2 & 2i4 are the same unit except for the additional ins/outs - midi - IOS control .

Aside from these add on's they are the same reliable units and should get you what your looking for in recording your music . What mic & instrument(s) are you recording with ?

I'll be recording vocal , percussion instruments , electric guitar - acoustic guitar / ukulele / various harmonica types , trumpet and midi synth .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 07-05-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
A good DAW should automatically compensate for system latency, as Reaper does. Can't say why the other 'open source' DAW you tried doesn't, but that's as good as reason as any not to bother with it.

Why do you want to get another 2i2? You could try the forums at homerecording.com for driver opinions and other info.
I have a simple recording system in the garage. The is more room on my workbench as more room for guitars on stands. I plan on rendering in my office. Tired of moving the focus rite.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post
I'll be finding out when my 6i6 arrives Saturday .

That said :

From the limited research I have been doing for the last 6 months , these issues with [ buggy ] driver issues have been when owner's of the
1st Gen downloaded the 2nd. Gen drivers in hopes of a lowering the latency and for some it worked while many had issues over it .

Win 10 users are mostly posting positive comments overall on all the 2nd. Gen units . You can see a lot of the 1st.Gen units on ebay and
Reverb for sale , that's a possible indication that these people want to get the lower latency 2nd Gen. unit .

I'll be busy as can be trying to figure out how to down load the bundled software , it's kind of time consuming the way it's structured to protect the
the manufacturer - oh well - it's a dirty job but someone has to do it .

I reviewed [ EVERY ] single youtube video on the 6i6 available to date , the 2i2 & 2i4 are the same unit except for the additional ins/outs - midi - IOS control .

Aside from these add on's they are the same reliable units and should get you what your looking for in recording your music . What mic & instrument(s) are you recording with ?

I'll be recording vocal , percussion instruments , electric guitar - acoustic guitar / ukulele / various harmonica types , trumpet and midi synth .

EZ :

HR
No mics yet. All direct. I use my Boss ME-80 if I want any effects. I also have a Yamaha mixer for when I get a mic. It is probably quiet enough around here to record with a mic for acoustic guitar at least early in the morning. So far been using direct even for acoustic parts.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:23 PM

Thank you both for commenting
Old 07-05-2017, 11:40 PM

Nice Possessor

Old 07-15-2017, 01:04 PM

Thumbs up Latency on Focusrite 6i6

I have had mine now three days , it's unreal , superfast and clean .
The silence between sounds is breath taking , I couldn't really notice it [latency ]

¡ Great headphone volume too !

So far this unit has my seal approval . Only time will tell if it was a good investment now .

I am really excited on recording my acoustic guitars and ukulele as well as the electric now .

You hopefully will have a similar experience too .

EZ :

HR

Old 07-16-2017, 06:04 AM

Hey Ramon,
I read where you got the 6i6 (?). Congrats.
First of all I don't notice any latency issues with the Focusrite at least using Reaper as DAW software. I was really asking if my clap test was valid to prove that the latency is properly compensated. Because there IS latency. The Focusrite has inherent low latency but I believe the DAW software still must compensate for it if you're overdubbing. Especially after recording several overdubs. My last recording used an iPad for drums (pretty lame) the 5 guitar parts plus bass. Currently the project is with my piano player friend to add piano.
Anyway, enjoy and record!
Terry
Old 07-17-2017, 10:14 PM

Exclamation ¡ It's Time To Record !

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj47 View Post
Hey Ramon,
I read where you got the 6i6 (?). Congrats.
First of all I don't notice any latency issues with the Focusrite at least using Reaper as DAW software. I was really asking if my clap test was valid to prove that the latency is properly compensated. Because there IS latency. The Focusrite has inherent low latency but I believe the DAW software still must compensate for it if you're overdubbing. Especially after recording several overdubs. My last recording used an iPad for drums (pretty lame) the 5 guitar parts plus bass. Currently the project is with my piano player friend to add piano.
Anyway, enjoy and record!
Terry
Thanks terr47 :

I am happy as a clam in sand . The degree in latency is really negligible so far and even
if there are any I can circumvent this issue this way . I will use the FX for vocal -
guitars and harmonicas off my T.C. Helicon Voice Live 3X in front of the 6i6 . If there is any
issue of latency I have that covered but really don't think it's going to be a issue at all

With my Godin LGXSA I'll trigger midi with the Roland GR33's FX for the midi/synth voices in front of the 6i6 too .
My pc only has 4 Gigs of Ram . Till I get more Ram this will work fine .

The audio on this unit is really up there in class/quality . The gain and clarity did not disappoint
me at all add the double headphone jacks to the list of cool stuff it sports .

I presently don't own a unit with SPDIF but I'm considering a keyboard/pads or what ever to fill that input

I'm set and ready to go once I get Reaper nailed down . I've a good assortment of mics to compliment my set up .

EZ :

HR

Old 07-18-2017, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]
:
:
I'm set and ready to go once I get Reaper nailed down.
:
:
Good luck on that (sincerely). I have a piano player friend that has been using it for years. And I showed him a "thing or two" (that I learned on Youtube of course). Lots of good videos. Have fun with it.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:21 PM

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj47 View Post
Good luck on that (sincerely). I have a piano player friend that has been using it for years. And I showed him a "thing or two" (that I learned on Youtube of course). Lots of good videos. Have fun with it.

This is gonna be fun .

EZ :

HR

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD