The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-02-2024, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

I think the D15m or D15e were made for you. One made in USA ($1600) and one in Mexico ($1300). The D15E has a pickup should you ever need it.

Both sound THE SAME. Both great. I have a 15 year old D15m and it is still rock steady. No binding worries. Budget friendly. And the best part: they record so easily. No overtones.

I bet you could buy these new out the door for $1500 and $1200 respectively. Obviously less used. And they are timeless.
Old 03-02-2024, 03:41 PM

If you've always wanted a Martin and can afford it, buy it. Get yourself a nice D-18 or D-28. They're great guitars and it will be easy to sell if you ever need the money or when your kids have to deal with it.

You could spend hours, days, weeks, months or even years looking at and trying out all the alternatives out there. Some are great, some not so much. Some will sound and look like a Martin for a little less dough. Some will be a different thing all together. All that time spent looking at other guitars is time you could be playing your Martin, which is what you want in the first place.
Old 03-02-2024, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

My recommendation would be to go to a really good acoustic shop that has a large selection. Play 18s and 28s in 000, OM, and D bodies. Then try out a few J-45s or small body Gibsons like a LG-2 or L-00. If they have some Larrivees, try one of their OMs. Every time I do this, something just jumps off the wall and demands to be bought. One or two will quickly make the short list and from there you just choose the one you like the best.

Last edited by abn556; 03-02-2024 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
I think the D15m or D15e were made for you. One made in USA ($1600) and one in Mexico ($1300). The D15E has a pickup should you ever need it.

Both sound THE SAME. Both great. I have a 15 year old D15m and it is still rock steady. No binding worries. Budget friendly. And the best part: they record so easily. No overtones.

I bet you could buy these new out the door for $1500 and $1200 respectively. Obviously less used. And they are timeless.
This actually seems like a good compromise option. They wouldn't be my first choice, but my local Guitar Center looks like it actually has a used on in stock.

Last edited by Bucketfoot; 03-02-2024 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:01 PM

I have a D18, HD35 and and HD28V.

When I was looking for a beater I tried Eastman and a few of the other alternatives but didn’t like them. Eastman sounded good but just not the sound that I’m used to hearing after playing Martins for so long.

I would say just get a Martin if that’s what you think you want rather than mess around trying all kinds of alternatives.

Also, if you sing make sure that the guitar fits with your voice because I find that some do and some don’t. It’s not that you can’t sing with them it’s just that some hook up real good with your voice in the same way that you EQ any kind of mix.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:16 PM

I play my Blueridge BR-40 ($250 used) at home and when appearances don't matter. For street cred I'll bring the Martins, but I would be completely fine with just the Blueridge.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:21 PM

It looks like GC also has the 000-15m in stock. So it might be worth comparing the body styles, since I'm thinking the auditorium style would be closer to my classical than a dreadnought. Definitely need to sit down with a few before getting too far in this search!
Old 03-02-2024, 04:53 PM

Hi Bucketfoot! Hope you have fun seeking your sound. Try all the guitars you can find and hang on to the one that inspires you. My advice is not to cheap out on your dream. You or your progeny can always sell the guitar if the money becomes more necessary.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:15 PM

You lead off with an affinity for owning a Martin guitar. Instruments have things like that, I understand.

There's objective value in the universal suggestion that you need to play a range of instruments to pick the one that has value to you regardless of brand. I've given that advice myself many times here.

However, if you have you mind set on a Martin, their 15, 16 and 17 series are all worth looking at. If a genie popped out of bottle and give you the greatest guitar in the world, you'd still have something in the back of your mind that is whispering "But, I'd sure like to have a Martin again." Yes, genies are imaginary. Maybe your attachment is "all in your head" too. BUT -- it's your head, and when you're doing something in the arts like playing music, you'll be spending time there in your head.

I have a 00-15 and a current model 000-17. I'd say that they are easy to get good range of recorded sounds out off, and when recording the 00 and 000/OM sizes get called up by me more often than dreadnaughts do.

But I'm me, and you're you.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-02-2024, 05:18 PM

Don't worry about what may happen down the road. Just get what you'll be happy playing right now.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:19 PM

Based on the feeling in the post I thought I'd chime in.

I have played my whole life. I never had as good of a guitar as I would have liked...I was a 3rd child and my Mom was burnt out "I tried that with your brother and sister and it didn't work out, so kick rocks"

Later, when I was working and making money, I got the wife "You don't need a guitar that expensive" ....even when I was an artist being offered small deals and occasionally selling a song.

so..I'm 50 something and not getting younger. I have no wife, or mom or anybody...just the dog and I...and I finally went out and bought a Martin OM28.

...and my only regret is NOT having bought it sooner...and telling THEM to kick rocks

out
Old 03-02-2024, 06:44 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Welcome to AGF Bucketfoot.

Forget the name on the headstock, go out to as many guitar stores as possible and play a bunch.

You'll find something you like.
+1..............
Old 03-02-2024, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Baseball… love your post.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball View Post
... so..I'm 50 something and not getting younger. I have no wife, or mom or anybody...just the dog and I...and I finally went out and bought a Martin OM28.

...and my only regret is NOT having bought it sooner...and telling THEM to kick rocks

out
Yes... This is a common feeling among older guitar players!

I was lucky. My wife always wanted me to have the best...

- Glenn
Old 03-02-2024, 06:57 PM

I've been playing acoustic guitar since I was 13. I haven't owned that many, but I've played and heard a bunch.

I bought my first "good" guitar, a 2017 Martin HD-28 in 2020. My first thought was "why did I wait so long to do this?"

The best sounding acoustic guitar I've ever heard was a D18-VS a friend started bringing to our jams a couple months ago. If I was in the market for a dread right now that's probably what I'd get.

I played some of the Bourgeois-Eastman Touchstone guitars last weekend and thought they were great. They were on special for Wintergrass and could be had for $2500 plus tax.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion