The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-07-2016, 08:01 AM

Default Taylor GS mini-e - How does it work?

My 10 year old son started playing a year ago on a full sized Yamaha, however, he fell in love with his guitar teacher's gs mini. I got a fantastic deal on a gs mini-e for christmas, but I don't understand the electronics at all. Can someone explain to me how they work, does he need an amp? I read through some of the posts talking about playing plugged in, but I'm a piano girl, not a guitar girl.

Is there a user manual somewhere (this one was used in excellent shape). The only time I see his guitar teacher is when he is with me, so I can't really talk to him about it.

What else might I need? Should I go to nylon strings or keep the steel. Anything else Santa might be able to bring to make this an awesome gift?

Thanks for any help or advice. I'm a newbie to the guitar world but I'm trying.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:07 AM

Hi Joy--welcome.

You don't have to play it with an amp; it works as a guitar just fine without it. To use the amplified aspect of the guitar, you need a 1/4" cable that goes from the guitar (the hole in the bottom) to an amplifier. You can get that now or later. They have amplifiers specifically for acoustic guitars.

As for the strings, my first idea would be to have him learn on steel strings, since it is already a short scale and low-tension guitar. Lots of guitar teachers are on here, though, and they may say differently.

Two other things to get are a tuner and a capo. If he has an iphone, you can download apps that work well as tuners.
One other thing could be a strap.
Sometimes, it's better to get things along the way instead of all at once, because you come to know more what you want.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 11-07-2016, 08:15 AM

He has a capo, tuner and strap from his first guitar. So we are good there. Guess an amp might be something he'd like to have. Maybe I will have to look into it unless people here have a recommendation for a good (reasonably priced) amp. :-)

Thanks for the help. I look forward to hearing from more people on it. This is one beautiful guitar. I'm so excited for santa to put it under the tree. It's sitting here in my office just staring at me. It's times like this that I wish I knew how to play and I would give the guys here a little concert. lol.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy22kar View Post
He has a capo, tuner and strap from his first guitar. So we are good there. Guess an amp might be something he'd like to have. Maybe I will have to look into it unless people here have a recommendation for a good (reasonably priced) amp. :-)

Thanks for the help. I look forward to hearing from more people on it. This is one beautiful guitar. I'm so excited for santa to put it under the tree. It's sitting here in my office just staring at me. It's times like this that I wish I knew how to play and I would give the guys here a little concert. lol.
One more thing: if your question about nylon strings was about putting nylon strings on that GS-Mini, don't do that. The guitar is designed for steel strings. If you meant to ask whether your son should get a nylon string guitar, then that's a different matter.

If you are looking for a good, reasonably priced acoustic amp to go with that guitar, look at a Fishman Loudbox Mini. As Earwitness says, you don't need to use an amp with this guitar, but it can be fun, even for a very young player, to hear their playing amplified with some effects added (the Loudbox Mini has both reverb and chorus). Also, the Loudbox Mini has a microphone input, so if your son also sings, he can practice singing into a mic--and it's also a lot of fun to hear your voice loud with some reverb. For growing as a player who at some point wants to perform live for people, it's important to practice the different skills that playing amplified and unamplified demand.

Louis
Old 11-07-2016, 10:57 AM

People here are willing to talk about the same guitar subjects repeatedly, so just ask. There is a sub-forum here for amp questions. Also, however, you can do a google search for any topic. For example, type this into your browser address bar:

site:acousticguitarforum.com inexpensive acoustic amp

You can see a lot of discussions about guitar amplifiers.

There is also a satisfaction in picking your own gear, so maybe you could give him a gift certificate for a music store to go try out some amplifiers. Or, again, you could wait until a birthday, and see what is happening then. Even for anyone on AGF who has lots of guitars, a GS mini would be a great Christmas present, all by itself.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 11-08-2016, 02:41 PM

thanks guys
Old 11-09-2016, 12:04 AM

Good to have you with us, Joy. I have a 10-yr. old student with a Taylor Mini. It's a great choice for him, something he can enjoy now, but will not outgrow. Unless your son needs more volume than his guitar can produce acoustically, he probably can wait on a pickup and an amp. Even if he does want to play for big groups in the future, a microphone can be a versatile, relatively inexpensive option. For now, I'd let him enjoy that Mini, and think about adding a pickup and amp or PA later. Please post pictures of his smile when he gets his Mini!

cotten
Old 11-10-2016, 10:37 AM

That's a great first guitar.

My daughter just started college, and she's been asking me for a guitar as she really wants to learn. While taking one of my guitars in for a tuneup last week, I played a GS Mini-e Koa that had a beautiful tone, so I went ahead and picked that up for her. She won't need the pickup initially, but it'll be there for when she does start playing live, which I'm sure she'll be doing at some point.

Congrats on the new guitar. Post a picture!
Taylor 855
Taylor 614ceL7
Taylor T5 koa - SOLD
Taylor K55 all koa - SOLD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification