The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2015, 09:24 AM

Love Steve Goodman…
a couple of my faves…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJLOaBUCEgs

…and hangin with Bobby Bare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz2ZC4g_3xY
Old 08-18-2015, 10:32 AM

Here's a story from the Chicago Sun-Times regarding the whole "City of New Orleans" Goodman/Guthrie/Denver debacle:

http://www.ecwpress.com/review/chica...ve-goodman-bio

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 08-18-2015, 01:28 PM

Default Long time fan

I've always thought that Steve Goodman set the bar high when it comes to acoustic live performances. When Jethro Burns played with him, you just had to sit back in awe of the amount of talent on display.

He is greatly missed.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:44 PM

I have the pleasure of taking lessons with Ed Holstein here in Chicago at the Old Town School of Folk Music. Ed and his brother Fred Holstein were a key part of the Chicago folk scene in the '70's including owning Holstein's a prime venue for Bonnie Koloc and others during that time. By all accounts from Ed who knew him personally, Steve was as nice a guy off stage as he was on. I don't think you can find a more skilled and joyous performer. People at Old Town still miss Steve 30+ years after his passing. My only regret is not having seen him live.

Current Inventory:

Martin 000-18 - Golden Era
Martin 000-42
Martin D Jr.
Martin 000-15SM
Bourgeois JOM
M J Franks 000
Old 08-18-2015, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmruegg View Post
I have the pleasure of taking lessons with Ed Holstein here in Chicago at the Old Town School of Folk Music. Ed and his brother Fred Holstein were a key part of the Chicago folk scene in the '70's including owning Holstein's a prime venue for Bonnie Koloc and others during that time. By all accounts from Ed who knew him personally, Steve was as nice a guy off stage as he was on. I don't think you can find a more skilled and joyous performer. People at Old Town still miss Steve 30+ years after his passing. My only regret is not having seen him live.
I saw Steve several times just hanging out at The Earl of Old Town and actually got to play pinball (Elton John's Captain Fantastic game) with him. He was a very kind and humble guy. Only got to see him play once though.
I used to frequent Holstein's...rarely saw Fred sober... but he and Ed could put on a show. In my head I still can hear Fred playing "Freight Train"
*footnote...parking around there sucked.**

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 08-18-2015, 09:45 PM

Default Thanks for posting

Enjoyed the concert and then watched this:
Old 08-19-2015, 08:39 AM

Got to see him at Northwestern in the 70's with Jim Post and a guest appearance by Jethro Burns. It was their second of the day, started at around 11 pm and went for almost 3 hours. Great show!
Old 08-19-2015, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacks Focus View Post
Here's a story from the Chicago Sun-Times regarding the whole "City of New Orleans" Goodman/Guthrie/Denver debacle:

Thanks for posting this. very interesting.

And since I didn't see anyone else say this I will.

A friend of mine named Steve Goodman wrote that song, and he said it was the perfect country and western song.

Name that tune.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacks Focus View Post

I saw John Denver in the early 70s at Washington State University. He did "City of New Orleans." He did not take credit for the song but, as I recall, said that the song was presented to him and he passed at the time. He said that it was a real mistake because Arlo recorded it and had a big hit.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:45 AM

"You Never Even Called Me by My Name", written by Steve Goodman and John Prine, recorded by David Allan Coe.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
Thanks for posting this. very interesting.

And since I didn't see anyone else say this I will.

A friend of mine named Steve Goodman wrote that song, and he said it was the perfect country and western song.

Name that tune.
It sounds like something I heard John Denver say about "City of New Orleans" in an old recording of one of his early concerts.

I agree that the credits on the "Aerie" Album were wrong, but I don't know for sure that JD is the one responsible for putting them there. It hardly seems with his own talent for songwriting he would feel the need to take credit for someone else's material. It seems like an isolated event to me that was just as likely to be someone else's fault.

It seems that people agree that his version with the changed words was sub-par to both Arlo's release as well as others. It certainly was not one of John Denver's often requested hits, so that is more than likely why he stopped performing it. Not some evil plot to prevent Steve Goodman from making money.

Rest in peace Steve Goodman and John Denver!

2013 Martin D-17M
2013 Alvarez AP860SB
2015 Seagull Entourage Mini-Jumbo
Old 08-19-2015, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balerman View Post
It sounds like something I heard John Denver say about "City of New Orleans" in an old recording of one of his early concerts.

I agree that the credits on the "Aerie" Album were wrong, but I don't know for sure that JD is the one responsible for putting them there. It hardly seems with his own talent for songwriting he would feel the need to take credit for someone else's material. It seems like an isolated event to me that was just as likely to be someone else's fault.

It seems that people agree that his version with the changed words was sub-par to both Arlo's release as well as others. It certainly was not one of John Denver's often requested hits, so that is more than likely why he stopped performing it. Not some evil plot to prevent Steve Goodman from making money.

Rest in peace Steve Goodman and John Denver!
I've often wondered about Take Me Home Country Roads.

So the story goes the co writers were friends of his and he went to see them and they showed him the song. It's said he helped them finish the song, but I've always wondered if he didn't change it up and put his style with it and then took co writer credit.

It really doesn't matter, it's just something I always wondered about because I've read different versions of how the song came to be.

I've always been a JD fan and always will be. I just can't see him purposely taking what was not his because he had plenty of talent himself. Guess we will never know for sure.

Steve Goodman was a genius.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
"You Never Even Called Me by My Name", written by Steve Goodman and John Prine, recorded by David Allan Coe.
Great song!!
Old 08-19-2015, 12:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sain't View Post
He owned the stage - only performer who could open for Steve Martin w/o being eaten alive. Truly legendary.

Michael
Oh, Golly, Saint, that is SO SO true. I've posted several Stevie threads here in the last year, just cuz I miss him so much. This past Sept 2014 marked the 30th anniversary of his passing from Leukemia. To the Moderators: If this following statement crosses a line, please remove it: I'm still angry at God for taking Steve from us so young, but I guess He needed a short Chicago picker that could pick and entertain better than anyone on the planet.

I was fortunate to see Steve out here in L.A. in what I believe was the first West Coast appearance at the Santa Monica Civic, and he rocked my world. SO funny and such an awesome picker.

To this day, folks, if you ever meet anyone who saw Steve live (and I was lucky to see him four times, including once with JP where he did the “broken string” song at the L.A. Roxy and literally had the audience on its knees with laughter), they will tell you that he was the single best solo performer that they've ever seen. This is just fact.

I will write more later, when I have more time.

For you young pups who've never heard of Steve or see him play: You owe it to yourself to see some of the vids on YouTube. I will post a few later when I have more time.

Sorely, sorely missed. So many ironies on the timing of “Chicago Shorty's” passing which I will relate in a day or two.

sm
Old 08-19-2015, 12:12 PM

Thanks to the OP for making me rediscover a great talent who l hadn't listened to in many years.
Taylor GS 5.
Eastman E6 OM.
Eastman E6 D.
Bedell OH-12
Martin SPD-16TR.
Bedell JB 52-G.
Legend MJ-501.
Arvey SJ
Taylor GSRS.
Breedlove American C20 S

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion