The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-24-2010, 05:55 PM

Well, you can't go wrong with either; but "variety is the spice of life". You ought to try out a Bourgeois DB Signature OM. It will expand the breadth of your guitar family.

Scott
Old 11-24-2010, 05:58 PM

You will not be dissapointed with a Bourgeois. Dana's a wizard with tone.
One thing his neck profiles are a bit more user friendly than V-style Martins.
Or for that matter even Collings.
I personally feel they have a "faster" feel to them.
Just my 2cents.......
GO4IT!!!!!!!!
65 Martin 00-18
05 Tele
97 PRS
LePatrie Classical
Taylor Mini GS
30's Gretsch Uke
Old 11-26-2010, 10:04 AM

My only caveat is that although I've been thoroughly pleased with the Bourgeois guitars that I have owned, they are less well know still to the general public so you need to be fairly confident that it is a guitar you want to keep for a while.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markd View Post
My only caveat is that although I've been thoroughly pleased with the Bourgeois guitars that I have owned, they are less well know still to the general public so you need to be fairly confident that it is a guitar you want to keep for a while.
Hey Mark,
Not only less well known, but after I got Sam Ash to carry his line back in the mid 1990's, I found that people would sometimes not even bother to ask to play them because they didn't want to ask how to pronounce the name on the headstock.................Sad, but true.

The ones who ventured a guess often brought a smile to my face.

"Who's Boor-goyse?" was a common query.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

HE
Old 11-26-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederico View Post
Once I have had OOO-28VS and D-18GE (all bought new recently), my Taylor days were over (still have an 814ce cedar top for sale if you’re interested). I particularly like the clean and crisp fundamental tone of Adirondack/Mahogany from D-18GE, so I was looking again for another Martin in same wood combo but in a smaller OM body.

I was about to strike a deal on an OOO-18GE hoping that would be a perfect match with D-18GE I own. But I was at awe when seeing a beautiful picture of Bourgeois Signature OM on a dealer’s website. It has Adirondack top and Madagascar Rosewood back and sides. Although it is more pricy than OOO-18GE and doesn’t have Mahogany back and sides, reviews and comments from internet sites all pointed to a wonderful piece of instrument in tone and craftsmanship.

I’m not sure if I should make a breakaway from Martin and get this Bourgeois Signature OM instead of OOO-18GE. I already have an adi/mahogany (though different body style/size) and a bit of variety may not hurt. As I cannot play either one of the two locally, I have to buy unsighted/unplayed. Any comments on what I gain/give up if I go for the Bourgeois?

Also there is a cheaper Vintage OM that has EIR instead Madagascar wood. Are they close in tone?
It sounds as if you feel some loyalty to one brand even tho you have identified a guitar that is built by another maker and captures your imagination. Have you played the guitar in question? Are you considering it on approval? I personally would not limit my interests in guitars to any one brand and play as many as I can from as many makers. I will always buy guitars that appeal. Who cares who made them?

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 11-26-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hey Mark,
Not only less well known, but after I got Sam Ash to carry his line back in the mid 1990's, I found that people would sometimes not even bother to ask to play them because they didn't want to ask how to pronounce the name on the headstock.................Sad, but true.

The ones who ventured a guess often brought a smile to my face.

"Who's Boor-goyse?" was a common query.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

HE
That's funny! Well, Cary Grant's original name was Archibald Leach, I think, and the Hollywood studios were quick to realize that such a name would gain little traction with Joe the moviegoer. Perhaps Dana Bourgeois might have considered a more "user-friendly" name for his headstock, too!
Old 11-26-2010, 10:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
That's funny! Well, Cary Grant's original name was Archibald Leach, I think, and the Hollywood studios were quick to realize that such a name would gain little traction with Joe the moviegoer. Perhaps Dana Bourgeois might have considered a more "user-friendly" name for his headstock, too!
To finish the thought, though, I should point out that when Dana came to the shop he showed me, among a bunch of other instruments, a slope-shouldered dread with stout action and clown-barf binding. He intended it for slide players and he was right on regarding its market.

In any case he didn't have a model name for it. I said "Dana, you know what you have to name this, don't you?" He shook his head and said "No, what?"

"The Bourgeois Blues" I answered.

I assumed Dana wasn't a Ry Cooder fan, let alone a Leadbelly fan, but he quickly understood it to be a 'Duh' moment, and so it was thus named.

He's a great builder and a good guy.

HE
Old 11-26-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
To finish the thought, though, I should point out that when Dana came to the shop he showed me, among a bunch of other instruments, a slope-shouldered dread with stout action and clown-barf binding. He intended it for slide players and he was right on regarding its market.

In any case he didn't have a model name for it. I said "Dana, you know what you have to name this, don't you?" He shook his head and said "No, what?"

"The Bourgeois Blues" I answered.

I assumed Dana wasn't a Ry Cooder fan, let alone a Leadbelly fan, but he quickly understood it to be a 'Duh' moment, and so it was thus named.

He's a great builder and a good guy.

HE
Nice story!
Old 11-26-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff View Post
Not exactly the guitars you are comparing and considering, but I found that the Bourgeois Alan Simpson I bought to be a great complement to my Martin 00017s.

jeff
Slight correction...

Alan Simpson - Crotchety old US Senator with no known musical talent and no signature guitar.

Martin Simpson - Superb guitarist who did have a signature model but has since gone nativist for his luthiery.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:25 PM

Default redwood top?

Anyone played a mini jumbo with a redwood top n RW?

I wonder how its voiced ...might be checking one out.

I imagine it`ll want the fingers more than a hard strum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion