The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-08-2023, 05:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default TSA-approved lock for Hiscox case?

For reasons too complicated to explain I am going to be handing off one of my Martins to the baggage handlers for an upcoming flight from BOS to DEN. Gate checking it, of course. I have a Hiscox case and have great confidence in it (based on two trips using it) but I would like to add a TSA-approved lock. Although the locks I see online all look pretty much the same, does anyone here have a recommendation of one that will work with a Hiscox case? thanks
Old 08-08-2023, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

I have no idea how you'd add TSA lock to an existing case, but I don't bother with locks, and use velcro straps around my case when I'm traveling. It solves the problem of keeping the case from popping open "by accident" but still does not require a crowbar to open the case if you don't have the key.

I have never had to check a guitar, fortunately, but if I'd had a guitar when we were traveling with a couple small kids, I'm sure I would have...
Old 08-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

I had to look up TSA locks on Amazon to see what you are talking about. Is it the padlocks? The only thing I could think of is pop rivet a hasp to your case. A screwdriver would defeat that in no time though. My SKB case came with a TSA lock built into one of the latches. Does Hiscox not do that?

I check my guitar whenever I fly with one. That said, I travel with a GS Mini in an SKB case and not a Martin. I use the TSA lock because it is there, but I don't put a lot of trust in it. I mean, if someone is going to steal it they'll just take the whole case. They aren't going to stand there in front of everyone breaking into a case so they can run off with the guitar inside it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 08-08-2023, 12:31 PM

Not that I foresee having a reason to use a TSA lock on my Hiscox case, I am still curious to see what your final solution ends up being. Keep us posted.
2003 Gibson J-45
2011 Flammang J-55
2015 Gibson J-45TV
2019 Martin D-18 39A
2021 Martin HD-28V Adi
2021 Gibson J-185 52 Historic
Old 08-08-2023, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

I used one of these recently to take a guitar to the GAL Convention. Once I got it fit to the case in the waist area I had my wife run a seam with her sewing machine to lock in the length. Works with any case.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-911...s%2C112&sr=8-5

IMG_20230630_150526611_HDR.jpg

Last edited by Craig Wilson; 08-08-2023 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2023, 02:14 PM

I think the OP may just be looking for something to keep eager/curious baggage handlers out of his case and not playing his guitar. Usually cases come with a lock built in OR some kind of metal loop system to add your own. Which way does Hiscox do it? If it's already built in you're kind of stuck without case alteration (required).

Either way I NEVER luggage check my guitar. I carry it on (as allowed by Federal Law) or, if absolutely necessary it gets "gate checked" (meaning they take it from my hands at the jetway and then give it back to me right there). I can usually even see the one person who takes it to (and then again from) the hold from the jetway area and so I know it's being handled much less and much more carefully than the regular bags.
Old 08-08-2023, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
I think the OP may just be looking for something to keep eager/curious baggage handlers out of his case and not playing his guitar. Usually cases come with a lock built in OR some kind of metal loop system to add your own. Which way does Hiscox do it? If it's already built in you're kind of stuck without case alteration (required).

Either way I NEVER luggage check my guitar. I carry it on (as allowed by Federal Law) or, if absolutely necessary it gets "gate checked" (meaning they take it from my hands at the jetway and then give it back to me right there). I can usually even see the one person who takes it to (and then again from) the hold from the jetway area and so I know it's being handled much less and much more carefully than the regular bags.
I just can't imagine a luggage handler pulling my guitar out of the case and playing it. Not saying it can't happen, or that some random person standing around waiting for a guitar to steal won't grab it and run, just saying I can't really imagine it. Regardless, we all take risk to some extent or another. Some are more comfortable with it than others. My guitar has always been there when I get to my destination.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

Old 08-08-2023, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I just can't imagine a luggage handler pulling my guitar out of the case and playing it. Not saying it can't happen, or that some random person standing around waiting for a guitar to steal won't grab it and run, just saying I can't really imagine it. Regardless, we all take risk to some extent or another. Some are more comfortable with it than others. My guitar has always been there when I get to my destination.
Not only can I imagine that I know for a fact it happens as I know baggage handlers and plane mechanics who have said they've seen and played some really nice guitars that way. Many of the things we (as good people) can't imagine are going on right now somewhere on this planet.
Old 08-08-2023, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not only can I imagine that I know for a fact it happens as I know baggage handlers and plane mechanics who have said they've seen and played some really nice guitars that way. Many of the things we (as good people) can't imagine are going on right now somewhere on this planet.
Really????

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

Old 08-08-2023, 04:53 PM

Quote:

I’ll bet those people have tsa keys.
Old 08-09-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Really????
Yes, really. I told you...the unimaginable is happening whether you can invision it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I’ll bet those people have tsa keys.
Only TSA agents get the keys (well, officially anyway). Nah, these folks are opening gig bags and unlocked hard cases. Sometimes just to see what's inside but sometimes to jam out a quick tune or 2 while on the tarmac.

EDIT: It ain't just guitars either!

Last edited by Talk2Me; 08-09-2023 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-09-2024, 01:40 PM

Default TSA lock for Hiscox case

I saw the TSA strap for the case in an earlier post ( see above ). I have the Pro Flite II. The strap won't work on that as the shape of the case doesn't lend itself to using it.
I purchased a latch with a locking loop from Amazon and installed using rivets. Given that is how the factory latches are installed I figured it should work fine.
It looks good and seems very strong. I may have to gate check the guitar next month. This is a just in case I need to modification.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion