The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-21-2023, 05:08 PM

Default Sable Factory Action Heights?

Got my new-to-me 2022 MchPherson Sable a few days ago.

It has the low saddle in it, but not the factory strings. Prior owner said he installed the factory gauge strings, but I can't verify that.

With the "low" saddle installed, I am measuring a little over 2mm on the high E and right at 3mm on the low E (my gauge only goes in 1/2 mm measurements), both at the 12th fret.

That doesn't seem very low to me. Unless the saddles are mismarked, as the one in the package says Med and still had glue holding it to the card.

Could fellow owners verify what action heights y'all have on your Sables?

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2023, 05:46 PM

I don’t have a Sable, but that’s crazy low. I guess if you want to lower you could sand the lower saddle even more. However,I would be concerned too much farther, and you start getting buzzing- even on a dead nuts CF guitar.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I don’t have a Sable, but that’s crazy low. I guess if you want to lower you could sand the lower saddle even more. However,I would be concerned too much farther, and you start getting buzzing- even on a dead nuts CF guitar.
I mainly play electric, so I am used to 1mm on high E at 12th fret. I have one other acoustic, a Breedlove AC25/SR Plus and had a buddy of mine (who moved off) work it over for the action. It's sitting at 1.5mm and 2mm respectively for high / low E with light strings and no fret buzz.

It may just be that these strings are substantially heavier and thus feels very "stiff" to me.

I just mainly wanted to see what other Sable owners action heights are for a reference point.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:17 PM

The action on an acoustic guitar should be higher than an electric. That low saddle is perfect for players with a soft touch (which I am).

Personally I prefer the bass side a little lower even. I have currently set up my Rainsong with 2 mm at the high E and 2.5 mm at the low E.

Before this I had the factory saddle sanded down to 1.5 -2.5 mm but I got tired of that high E buzzing higher up on the neck. And so I started over with a new saddle. As long as I stayed within the cowboy chord region it was fine though.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 02-21-2023, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

The Sable is able to handle very low string height, you may want to order another saddle to play with, seems like it was around $12 from McPherson. If you have no plans to plug in, there's a rubber gasket under the saddle that you can remove too that will take it lower. It's there to balance out the UST pickup. I haven't measured mine, but if I take it any lower the 1st string will hit the bridge. It plays fantastic. Great guitar, congrats !!
Old 02-21-2023, 08:49 PM

I had a Rainsong and it was set up perfectly
About 2.4mm Bass E /12th fret and 1.8mm treble E
Thats where i have my Lowdens and they are stellar
Old 02-22-2023, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggie929 View Post
I mainly play electric, so I am used to 1mm on high E at 12th fret. I have one other acoustic, a Breedlove AC25/SR Plus and had a buddy of mine (who moved off) work it over for the action. It's sitting at 1.5mm and 2mm respectively for high / low E with light strings and no fret buzz.

It may just be that these strings are substantially heavier and thus feels very "stiff" to me.

I just mainly wanted to see what other Sable owners action heights are for a reference point.

And I thought I had low action on my guitars

Hey that Breedlove is a cool guitar, my first nice instrument! I like that it isn’t full laminate but has a solid back. I’m sure you will dial the Sable in right where you want it.

I think the Sable is the best sounding CF guitar I’ve played, a bit compressed for its size, but refined and balanced. Maybe you can find a low tension set you like that give you big projection. DR Rares are some of the loudest I’ve encountered.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Following Steelvibes mention of strings, I've tried probably 7 or 8 different strings and always end up back with the Elixir Nano HD Lights. Not that I'm a big Elixir fan, that's just what works best for me on that guitar.
Old 02-25-2023, 01:49 PM

My 2022 Sable measures 2mm on the high E and 2.5mm on the low E, factory 13 gauge strings still on it. I'd agree that 13s always feel a bit stiff for me. Looking for forward to trying 12 gauge (considered "light") on it at some point.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I think the OP was describing his string height, not the height of the saddle....
Old 03-08-2023, 02:29 PM

Default Sable Factory Action Heights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55tele View Post
I think the OP was describing his string height, not the height of the saddle....

And that is exactly how I interpreted it (OP even mentioned at the 12th fret). What part of my response adds confusion? That is very low action.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:57 PM

On my Sable, I've set it up myself to 0.100" on the low E, 0.080" on the high E. I had to shim the "medium" saddle slightly to accomplish this, but it didn't have any perceptible impact on tone or volume. My recollection was that, before shimming, the low E was closer to 0.090".

I also slightly adjusted (lowered) the nut slots. It's been a while so I can't remember if it was all or just some. I have found that getting the nut slots to the right spec makes a big difference in both playability and intonation. Not sure why but the standard industry practice seems to be ship guitars from the factory with nut sluts that are a little too high. I've seen the same thing on a variety of other guitars I've bought including ones with higher price points. Wishing the industry would wise up about this and get the nut slots right.

There is no truss rod adjustment on the Sable of course so relief is as set at the factory during the build. I'm happy with the factory setting.

With these measurements, I use medium-gage strings. The action at the nut feels fine, first position barred F chord no problem, but I also still get the tension I want to feel under my flatpick.

Caveat -- I'm a rhythm-and-simple melody break flatpicker, not a finger stylist. Lots of cowboy chords, and when I do play far up the neck, it's almost always involving a capo. So I place more value on volume-before-fretting-out than super-low-slinkiness-at-the-12th-fret.
Old 03-08-2023, 05:09 PM

Quote:
And that is exactly how I interpreted it (OP even mentioned at the 12th fret). What part of my response adds confusion? That is very low action.
What made me respond that you might be referencing actual saddle height is you thinking 2mm treble and 3mm bass is “crazy low”. 3mm on the bass side is 1/8” or 8/64”. Thats high….. 2mm on the treble is 5/64” Neither are “crazy low”…

Last edited by 55tele; 03-08-2023 at 06:25 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber