The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-27-2015, 05:07 PM

Default Wah / Envelope for Acoustic Electric??

Would love some actual video/sound clips of how an acoustic electric would sound with a wah/envelope filter. Im the guy who jams daily to get a break from work, not live gigs or in front of audiences..so, I like to experiment. And let me say, if u get the settings down, it sounds awesome and brings your sound to places never thought possible. Got a martin acoustic/elec --> cs3 compression --> TS9 Tube Screamer (occassionally) --> DD7 Delay --> Boomerang Looper (best thing ever) --> Fishman Loudbox Mini where I got reverb/chorus effects and mic plug in.

But I want to add that wahhhh. mainly Garcia tones. Am I screwd with this setup? can I get a pedal and get away with it? too much feedback, no way? This is what I need to know and would love to see it in action but not much out there. thx!
Old 03-27-2015, 08:44 PM

The big difference between an acoustic and an electric guitar is the volume envelope. An acoustic has a fast attack to a high peak, and rapid initial decay with a slower secondary decay as the note rings out. An electric is much more compressed. It has a lower, softer initial peak and a longer sustain. If an acoustic goes "Ting!" an electric goes "dNNnnnggg".

The faster attack/release and shorter sustain is going to give a wah less to work on. You may have to be quick Or if its an automatic envelope-based wah pedal, it might sound more "ynk ynk" than "oowWWWAAAAOOOOoooowww"

If you're doing this in a DAW maybe try adding limiting/compression to the raw acoustic sound. That can help to create singing, sustaining lead tones in general (as can delay).

If you're interested in pushing an acoustic beyond its limits, maybe you'll like this (volume pedal & delay):

Old 03-28-2015, 12:07 AM

Certainly you can use a wah pedal with an amplified acoustic guitar.

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:18 AM

awesome..thx guys, the videos are certainly helpful. Seems like it works, but not nearly as tight of a sound as an electric produces. Would love more feedback and other videos if anyone knows of any, as Im sure there are many others like me wondering similar thing.

Leaning towards a trutron 3x or 3leaf proton, to capture that jerry sound..I figure if I get the tru tron and hate it, I can still sell the thing on ebay for a decent recovery value..thx again guys

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
wah envelope filter