The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 01:38 AM

Default Clear static cling pickguard covers: don’t leave them on!

The “tan lines” thread got me to thinking about static cling-on pickguard covers.

Some years back when I first visited wonderful Artisan Guitars in Franklin TN I was impressed with the transparent stick-ons they use for demos. What a great idea, I thought. You pay all this money for beautiful wood and an inlaid rosette, why not see it and protect your guitar?

Well, I inquired about buying some and got a very pleasant and detailed reply. They do not sell them as they are not to be left on for more than a short time or the finish will react badly — particularly nitro. Taylor offers pickguard and rosette stick-ons but they advise you to remove them after each use due to possible finish damage. Only problem with the Taylor offerings is that they are not big enough for the kind of “blanket” protection I want.

I’d still like to get a few for those awkward times when someone asks to play my guitar and it’s just impolite to turn them down. Let’s face it: some people are animals and flail away like Pete Townshend, giant purple pointy pick in their paws. You can say, “This guitar has a very delicate cedar top” or “This guitar cost more than your Honda” until your lips turn blue and they will still want to bang out some awful ‘90’s cover song. Until I find some (or more likely make my own) I’ll stick to my “Sorry, my insurance policy doesn’t allow it” story. Or I’ll just get smart and not bring the good stuff to random jams anymore.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:45 AM

Default lan tines

I had one of those static adhering flexible pickguards on a guitar for 5 years and when I took it off, could see no difference. And it was played regularly too. WITH a nitro finish.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:31 AM

Last year I bought a new old stock 1980s Hondo dread in its original cardboard box from the factory. It still had the plastic cling film on the pickguard.

I took it off, and the pickguard was covered in some oily liquid. I didn't wipe it off with tissue or cloth, because it looked like it will smudge badly. I just left it like that for a few weeks, and it dried off.

The guitar sounds quite good.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:46 AM

Default guitar

I stick to my standard line,
Three things I don't let anyone else handle:

My Wife
My Gun
My Guitar

Simple enough.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:53 PM

none of my friends are that way. if they were, they wouldn't be allowed to play my guitars, but, they aren't. they all have the responsibility to play mine as well as their guitars without any abuse at all.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion