The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2018, 02:08 PM

According to my handy dandy "Martin Guitars An Illustrated Celebration" book, there were only 20 OOO-45 guitars built in 1927.

The serial no. range you listed would place in 1927 (28690-34435) from what I can tell.

So if that info is accurate, it's a rare beast indeed and worth quite a bit. I can't imagine too many are still around if only 20 of them existed to begin with.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZK123 View Post
According to my handy dandy "Martin Guitars An Illustrated Celebration" book, there were only 20 OOO-45 guitars built in 1927.

The serial no. range you listed would place in 1927 (28690-34435) from what I can tell.

So if that info is accurate, it's a rare beast indeed and worth quite a bit. I can't imagine too many are still around if only 20 of them existed to begin with.
Yeah, I am beginning to figure that out. I now realize why the guy early on in the thread thought I was a Scammer of some sort. I have already contacted the 2 places in Nashville about an online appraisal.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABNRGRCIB View Post
Yeah, I am beginning to figure that out. I now realize why the guy early on in the thread thought I was a Scammer of some sort. I have already contacted the 2 places in Nashville about an online appraisal.
I mean . . it's not as rare as say a 1933 D-45 (only 1 made). . .
Old 01-17-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZK123 View Post
I mean . . it's not as rare as say a 1933 D-45 (only 1 made). . .
Wow...Do you know who owns that ?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Wow...Do you know who owns that ?
Don't even know if it still exists .
Old 01-17-2018, 02:32 PM

It's probably in a museum, or in some exclusive private collection overseas. If it still exists.....
Old 01-17-2018, 02:44 PM

Hopefully, I can find someone who understands the intrinsic value of this Instrument. I am starting to understand but I don't know as someone who never played if I'll ever appreciate what has fallen in my lap. I sent an email earlier today to the Martin Museum to see if they would be interested in looking at it. I'm not looking to sell it at this time but I feel it would be selfish of me not to give them a chance to look or examine it if they so desire. My grandfather loved picking at honky tonks but my dad never learned and I left home for the service and never owned a guitar...until now.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:52 PM

Yeah , I think contacting Martin is a good move, also the famous Nashville shops that were mentioned.

Please post again in the future to let us guitar geeks know of any developments !

Ps. Even if you don’t play, you’re here now , you should check out some conversations in the “open mic” section of this forum,
great bunch of guys talking about everything under the sun, don’t need any music theory to join in .
Old 01-17-2018, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My grandfather loved picking at honky tonks but my dad never learned and I left home for the service and never owned a guitar...until now.
Well, maybe it's high-time you learn! You've come to the right place.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I am starting to understand but I don't know as someone who never played if I'll ever appreciate what has fallen in my lap.
Yeah, you should learn to play.
You've already got a starter guitar.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:27 PM

I am a big fan of Antiques Road Show. Having a valuable item "fall into you lap" is a fairly common occurrence.

Aside from increasing your insurance, I would never let anyone know what you've been told here suggesting the instruments worth. No guitar is worth your well being.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

You already have some great info and not much for me to add, other then Thanks For Your Service!!!!!

And......Wow........ a 1927 000-45 and only 20 made. That is amazing. If that guitar could talk
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-17-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Hopefully, I can find someone who understands the intrinsic value of this Instrument. I am starting to understand but I don't know as someone who never played if I'll ever appreciate what has fallen in my lap. I sent an email earlier today to the Martin Museum to see if they would be interested in looking at it. I'm not looking to sell it at this time but I feel it would be selfish of me not to give them a chance to look or examine it if they so desire. My grandfather loved picking at honky tonks but my dad never learned and I left home for the service and never owned a guitar...until now.
Great story, and fun thread!
Best of luck with your new treasure, whatever you decide to do with it.
And glad it fell into the hands of someone who served the country, and (for now at least) it stays in the family!
Old 01-17-2018, 05:04 PM

The well-meaning but mostly misguided advice offered above is killing me. As I posted above, I actually own a 1927 000-45 and 00-45. Feel free to email me at [email protected].

Shame on those who post "advice" with no experience or knowledge to back it up. Kudos to those who steered the OP in good directions (Gruhn, etc.)

David
Old 01-17-2018, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Depending on where you are located Steve Swan, George Gruhn, or Carter Vintage Guitars would all be really good options. All are trusted sources for pre war Martins. Value really depends strongly on condition and the amount of repairs done and needed to make it playable. 27 is right on the cusp of being braced for Steel String.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion