The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2016, 10:31 PM

Default NGD!! Martin SPDC 16 TR....anybody own one?

Just picked up this guitar on Wednesday at a fantastic price! It's in mint condition, sounds and plays great!

I'm so impressed with this model! I've never heard about it before. I'll post pics when I can figure out how lol

Anyone eles own this model or a model in this series? What are your impressions of them?

From what I understand there was not many made?

Last edited by stinger23; 08-02-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

I have a 1997 D-16TR that I bought new. Still like it a lot. It's what I gig with and shows more wear than any of my guitars because of that.

I went to Wildwood Music (Ohio) to buy a SPD-16TR. At that time with all that good looking trim it was the dollar for dollar deal in the Martin catalogue. I bought the lesser trim model because it just spoke to me that day. But yes, those SP16 guitars are pretty nice!
Old 07-21-2016, 09:28 AM

Default Martin SPDC 16 TR....anybody own one?

They are absolutely great, I'm so shocked! The trim is very nice, I don't see too many models with the abalone rosette, long pattern snow flake inlays and the d45 back strip marquetry!

Full gloss body is very nicely done as well. Im very surprised at the quality of the spruce and rosewood!! It's aged very nicely!!

I even dig the label they put inside lol small detail I know, but I love it! Can't believe how smitten I am right now!! Love unexpected NGD's
Old 07-22-2016, 11:19 AM

Default Martin SPDC 16 TR....anybody own one?

Anybody else have some experience with these models? I'm guessing there isn't too many around?
Old 08-02-2016, 02:09 PM

Still no other owners around?
Old 08-02-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger23 View Post
Stinger, I was with Martin during the time the SP-16 series was available and they were pretty popular - as you note it was an awful lot of guitar for the money, which IIRC topped out at $2k list for rosewood and koa. Besides your rosewood model there were mahogany, koa, walnut and maple and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others. In addition to your cutaway dread there were 000(C), OM(C), JC, shallow dreads and non-cutaway dreads as well. The "T" ("Technology") prefix was dropped when the modern 16 series dropped it, sometime around '99-00.
The two largest sellers were yours and its' mahogany cousin. The current Martin Guitars History/Technical reference books break down most models by numbers shipped. You might find someone with this info at The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum. Miss my SP-OM16.
Joe
Old 08-02-2016, 03:17 PM

Going to need help with this. What do the letters represent?
Old 08-02-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McNamara View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger23 View Post
Stinger, I was with Martin during the time the SP-16 series was available and they were pretty popular - as you note it was an awful lot of guitar for the money, which IIRC topped out at $2k list for rosewood and koa. Besides your rosewood model there were mahogany, koa, walnut and maple and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others. In addition to your cutaway dread there were 000(C), OM(C), JC, shallow dreads and non-cutaway dreads as well. The "T" ("Technology") prefix was dropped when the modern 16 series dropped it, sometime around '99-00.
The two largest sellers were yours and its' mahogany cousin. The current Martin Guitars History/Technical reference books break down most models by numbers shipped. You might find someone with this info at The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum. Miss my SP-OM16.
Joe
Oh there is a lot more models than I realized! I'd love to find a Koa and a maple

They are definitely great models, really nice wood on mine, plenty of silking and beautiful rosewood, I'd love to buy a few more of these models!

Thanks for all the information Joe!!
Old 08-02-2016, 04:48 PM

The SP stands for special edition
D for Dreadnaught
C for cutaway
T for technology
R for rosewood
Old 08-02-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-utim View Post
Going to need help with this. What do the letters represent?
Okay, at the risk of raising zombie threads about alphabet soup model namebers.

One last time, making 893, 471 times I've explained this since '96 - and note that I stopped getting paid to yak about CFMco products in '13. Selfless ... an interWebb saint!

eg SPD-16 TR ... SP - "Special" - in this case, nitro lacquer finish, pearl rosette, style 45 back strip and other appointments that differentiated it from a regular style D-16TR - "16" tells you construction details; "T"= "Technology", which was marketing speak for the mortise & tenon neck joint and integrated A frame bracing (above a scalloped X) see link below ; introduced in the 90's, as opposed to the 60's created 16 series. This last was a "standard" construction dovetail guitar with modest appointments that eventually became a market sleeper in the 90's with the introduction of style 16 dreads ie D-16M - a dovetailed, forward-shifted, scalloped braced dreadnought in a variety of B&S woods w/ spruce tops - essentially D-18V's; and some kewl 000-16's with oval soundholes, all varieties dropped in favor of the "16T" Series.
D=dreadnought
R=rosewood.

There will be a test Thursday, spelling and neatness WILL count; For extra credit submit a 500 word essay on "Why is this link still up with Joe's name in it?"
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Hist...tinbraces.html
Old 08-02-2016, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Martin made some great guitars in the '95-'01 time frame.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:42 AM

I don't think I've played many, but this one is just fantastic, I really would like to find an OM version of this guitar!
Old 08-03-2016, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

A D-16TR like mine showed up on the local Craigslist today!
Old 08-03-2016, 05:22 PM

Nice, is it in nice condition? That's an sp model?
Old 08-03-2016, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Looks nice in the pic. A D-16TR like mine. Asking $1200 though.... a little much. I think that's about what I paid in 1997 new.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion