The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-18-2016, 01:44 PM

I dig the idea. I have a few thoughts and questions.

I have had very mixed results with wrap around bridges in the past... particularly with intonation. Anyone have experience with this guitar?

Is anyone making anything similar to this today?

Old 01-18-2016, 02:04 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelPastor View Post

I dig the idea. I have a few thoughts and questions.

I have had very mixed results with wrap around bridges in the past... particularly with intonation. Anyone have experience with this guitar?

Is anyone making anything similar to this today?

If you look closely at the bridge in my pictures, you'll notice that each string is intonated. The intonation on my example is very good.

Nobody is really making anything similar, currently. (The last company to make something similar was Viktorian and I'm pretty sure they are gone now.) Peavey has to have the molds for these guitars somewhere. Maybe we could get an AGF group-buy organized and convince them to do a limited edition....? I'd sure like to have a "Pro" model like the one Ted posted.

JR
Old 01-18-2016, 02:15 PM

I check on Peavey...I'll find Mr Poole and put the word to him
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-18-2016, 10:12 PM

Great Idea, JR. K may the force be with you!

Intonation on my Blade is pretty good with the stock Wilkinson wraparound. The bridge tilts forward slightly but Tone Pros locking studs should solve that ... and maybe transfer slightly more string vibration into the body (not that it needs it - the Blade is already acoustically lively for an electric).
Old 01-19-2016, 12:30 AM

OK... I now have a serious case of GAS. I am going to need to find one.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:34 PM

Smile

SP - this might help you in your Blade quest. Good luck!

I was curious to see what the prices were for used examples sold to date, so I dug into the Internet for answers. Here are the results of the "survey".

This is a relatively rare guitar. At least four production examples of the Standard Model have been sold in recent years, along with one pre-Production example. The highest photographed serial number in the product descriptions was B195, and prices ranged from $1,029 to $1,999.

My particular Blade listing (Blade #124, Standard Model) illustrates a cautionary note about estimating the value of a rare guitar based on Internet research(see below). The selling prices shown on the Internet are not necessarily 100% accurate, so any strict reliance on published prices can be unfounded.

SUMMARY - known sales of used Composite Acoustics Blade guitars:

1. "Number 7" pre-production ("Composite Electric" headstock decal, removable back)
Sold on eBay, 2011
$1,450

2. #141, Standard Model, (S-N: B141)
Sold on eBay, 2015
$1,029

3. #195, Standard Model, (S-N: B195)
Sold by Cream City Music, date unknown
$1,999 asking price

4. #124, Standard Model, (S-N: B124)
This is my guitar
Sold on eBay, 2015
$1,119
Note: The price shown on one of the eBay pages for this listing is wrong. It was a buy-it-now sale at $1,119, not $1,799. See my cautionary note above!

5. #???, Standard Model (Unknown Serial Number)
Sold on eBay, 2016
$1,599 asking price

If you want the webpage links to these listings, I have them.

I might have way too much time on my hands, but I was curious about the used market. The prospect of a Peavy resurrection of this wonderful guitar kept me going.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

There's a custom builder, Zozo guitars, that makes CF electrics. I don't know details on it. I know he's a custom furniture builder that creates some incredible stuff, and builds custom electrics as well. Typically these are out of highly figured woods and such. Very nice guy, and I am Friends with him on Facebook after having met him at a guitar show on Long Island. His guitars sounded great to me.

https://www.facebook.com/zozoguitars...type=3&theater

He's got a lot more pictures of his guitars on his FB page. I think his guitars run in the $2500 range.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon fiber, composite acoustics, electric guitar