The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #121  
Old 01-20-2018, 12:05 PM
jimmy bookout jimmy bookout is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: charlotte, n.c.
Posts: 1,924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi O

I have zero bias about you, or which way you point the neck.

It is reverse handed as far as I'm concerned…whether you like it or not.

I'm left handed and play conventional guitars.


Really? Unbelievable. But I still get a chuckle out of your much loved "reverse engineered" line, which you sling into every single one of these threads.
__________________
Voyage Air OM-4
Avian Skylark
Pono 0000-30SP
Neil Gardiner Parlor
Guild GAD D-150
Ramsay Classical
Cordoba C10 (Cedar top)
Eastman Pagelli PG2
Neil Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120-1959TV
Pavan TP-30-64

And the ukuleles:
Kanilea K3 Koa Super Concert
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Mainland Tenor
Willard Wixom Tenor
ALL LEFTIES
  #122  
Old 01-20-2018, 12:31 PM
Rudy4 Rudy4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
And finally, here we are....
Right handed players trying to explain to left handed players why they should not play left handed.

Some folks (like me) started out playing left handed (I am right handed, btw).

This will be my last entry in this month's lefty verses righty hand wringing. EVERY single one of these threads ALWAYS ends up the same way, and every time I pose the same question, which has NEVER been answered:
Why do you care how someone chooses to play the guitar? It just confounds me.
Because the original poster asked?
  #123  
Old 01-20-2018, 12:31 PM
Jeff Scott Jeff Scott is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
The nuns at Our Lady of Asbestos Elementary...
I have a book that has a photo from the early 1910s of a horse named Asbestos. It was owned by a young lady named Miriam Hubbard, daughter of Elbert and Alice Hubbard. Not sure of the handedness, though, sorry.
__________________
(insert famous quote here)
  #124  
Old 01-20-2018, 01:37 PM
Wade Hampton Wade Hampton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chugiak, Alaska
Posts: 21,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
And finally, here we are....
Right handed players trying to explain to left handed players why they should not play left handed. .....

EVERY single one of these threads ALWAYS ends up the same way, and every time I pose the same question, which has NEVER been answered:
Why do you care how someone chooses to play the guitar? It just confounds me.
Well, it's simple, really: some left-handed players want, prefer or NEED to play the guitar left-handed, while many right-handed and left-handed players who play right-handed are deeply offended by others playing left-handed.

I don't think "deeply offended" is too strong a term here. There definitely seems to be offense taken.

Why that should be, I have no idea, but I do think it's something hard-wired, given the visceral response. This goes beyond "I know better than you and you should do what I tell you."

It also brings up one of those paradoxes that musicians generally don't want to even think about, much less discuss: despite our self-images as trailblazing, iconoclastic individualists, the truth is that most musicians are deeply conformist.

In certain settings, like a symphony orchestra, that makes sense, and is, in fact, the only way those organizations can function. All of the orchestra stringed instrument musicians have to play right-handed, just so they can sit side by side in rows together.

But there's much less justification for strident conformist policing on an online guitar forum like this. There's really no excuse for it, but it continues regardless.


Wade Hampton Miller
  #125  
Old 01-20-2018, 02:33 PM
Otterhound Otterhound is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Well, it's simple, really: some left-handed players want, prefer or NEED to play the guitar left-handed, while many right-handed and left-handed players who play right-handed are deeply offended by others playing left-handed.

I don't think "deeply offended" is too strong a term here. There definitely seems to be offense taken.

Why that should be, I have no idea, but I do think it's something hard-wired, given the visceral response. This goes beyond "I know better than you and you should do what I tell you."

It also brings up one of those paradoxes that musicians generally don't want to even think about, much less discuss: despite our self-images as trailblazing, iconoclastic individualists, the truth is that most musicians are deeply conformist.

In certain settings, like a symphony orchestra, that makes sense, and is, in fact, the only way those organizations can function. All of the orchestra stringed instrument musicians have to play right-handed, just so they can sit side by side in rows together.

But there's much less justification for strident conformist policing on an online guitar forum like this. There's really no excuse for it, but it continues regardless.


Wade Hampton Miller
They fear us because they can neither understand or accept us . It is their problem .
I have always thought that it would be cool to do an entirely left handed orchestra .
In the standard orchestra , a lefty would not create conflict if placed at either end of a row . Just a dumb thought .
  #126  
Old 01-20-2018, 02:35 PM
Wade Hampton Wade Hampton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chugiak, Alaska
Posts: 21,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
In the standard orchestra , a lefty would not create conflict if placed at either end of a row . Just a dumb thought .
Yeah, but if you do that, the NEXT thing they'll demand is the right to vote! Then they'll want to move into your neighborhood! And date your daughter!!!


whm
  #127  
Old 01-20-2018, 02:40 PM
Wade Hampton Wade Hampton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chugiak, Alaska
Posts: 21,248
Default

Okay, now I'm just being snarky. Which is counter-productive. I need to plug into the Snark-O-Meter and dial it down considerably....


whm
  #128  
Old 01-20-2018, 03:02 PM
s2y s2y is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Somewhere middle America
Posts: 4,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
I have a book that has a photo from the early 1910s of a horse named Asbestos. It was owned by a young lady named Miriam Hubbard, daughter of Elbert and Alice Hubbard. Not sure of the handedness, though, sorry.
Perhaps some horses preferred to race clockwise vs. counter clockwise?

Asbestos. It's going to be the next big thing, I tell ya!
__________________
Acoustic gear:
KR fanned 7 string
Greg German DB7
Limited Edition walnut Taylor 12 fret non-cutaway ES2
  #129  
Old 01-20-2018, 04:02 PM
Otterhound Otterhound is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Okay, now I'm just being snarky. Which is counter-productive. I need to plug into the Snark-O-Meter and dial it down considerably....


whm
Trying to protect your daughter ?
  #130  
Old 01-20-2018, 04:04 PM
Otterhound Otterhound is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Perhaps some horses preferred to race clockwise vs. counter clockwise?

Asbestos. It's going to be the next big thing, I tell ya!
In Australia , dirt sidecar racing is done clockwise .
  #131  
Old 01-20-2018, 07:32 PM
JohnW63 JohnW63 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,162
Default

I hate when people do this, and here I am about to type these words...

I have not read all the responses....but...

I am quite sure this has been typed SOMEWHERE in this thread, but to add a "Me too!" to that, as a lefty, I chose to play right handed for two reasons:

1) The left hand action looked harder to me and...

2) Even as a kid in jr high, I knew, by looking at magazine catalogs and at guitars on music store walls, that finding left handed guitars was not as easy.

So, I tried playing right handed. I figured, if I just couldn't get it, I would switch to playing lefty. I never changed. It worked out fine. Where I seem to lack is the top end speed and pick control for fast strumming songs, like Pete Townsend can rip off. I can finger pick fine, which seems odd.
__________________
2010 Guild F47R
2009 G & L Tribute "Legacy"
1975 Ovation Legend
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2013 Guild Newark St. X-175B
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
  #132  
Old 01-20-2018, 07:44 PM
frankmcr frankmcr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 829
Default

This guy is left handed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAbdiNYBKlo

Just a data point.

I think it's wrong to insist that lefties must play right handed, and I think it's wrong to insist that lefties must not play right handed. Flame suit is on!

Last edited by frankmcr; 01-20-2018 at 08:00 PM.
  #133  
Old 01-20-2018, 09:28 PM
jimmy bookout jimmy bookout is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: charlotte, n.c.
Posts: 1,924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Because the original poster asked?
You should read the ENTIRE thread, and then you will have your answer.
__________________
Voyage Air OM-4
Avian Skylark
Pono 0000-30SP
Neil Gardiner Parlor
Guild GAD D-150
Ramsay Classical
Cordoba C10 (Cedar top)
Eastman Pagelli PG2
Neil Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120-1959TV
Pavan TP-30-64

And the ukuleles:
Kanilea K3 Koa Super Concert
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Mainland Tenor
Willard Wixom Tenor
ALL LEFTIES
  #134  
Old 01-20-2018, 09:34 PM
jimmy bookout jimmy bookout is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: charlotte, n.c.
Posts: 1,924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
This guy is left handed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAbdiNYBKlo

Just a data point.

I think it's wrong to insist that lefties must play right handed, and I think it's wrong to insist that lefties must not play right handed. Flame suit is on!
You will never, ever find a lefty player on this forum suggest that a left handed person MUST play left handed. Let me say again....NEVER.
__________________
Voyage Air OM-4
Avian Skylark
Pono 0000-30SP
Neil Gardiner Parlor
Guild GAD D-150
Ramsay Classical
Cordoba C10 (Cedar top)
Eastman Pagelli PG2
Neil Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120-1959TV
Pavan TP-30-64

And the ukuleles:
Kanilea K3 Koa Super Concert
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Mainland Tenor
Willard Wixom Tenor
ALL LEFTIES
  #135  
Old 01-20-2018, 10:30 PM
Otterhound Otterhound is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
This guy is left handed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAbdiNYBKlo

Just a data point.

I think it's wrong to insist that lefties must play right handed, and I think it's wrong to insist that lefties must not play right handed. Flame suit is on!
Repeat after me ,,,, play left handed . C'mon , you can do it , I just know you can . It's easy , I assure you . It won't harm you .
Closed Thread

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
left handed players

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=