The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 06:12 AM

Parlor guitars rule! I play mine in everything from solo finger style gigs to bluegrass jams. The only reason I even own a dreadnaught is that it belonged to one of my best friends and playing partners who was killed in a plane crash.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 01-20-2018, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate215 View Post
adding to my comment on E10P.... I'm on my 4th weekly string change (experiment)... DR's, Pyramid's, D'Addarios, JP's etc... and IMHO, string choice makes or breaks the tonal quality and volume on my parlor. Currently the Pyramid Folk Round Core set is the winner for my tastes

Still have Curt Magnum and Spectrums to try.

Here's a suggestion for you parlor fans: try a set of LaBella Silk & Steel Lights. I tried them and they improved my parlor's tone X2; it was really incredible. And they feel good, with the short scale, under my fingers.

I've had them on now for a month, and they sound even better. And they are not pricey, less than $8.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:22 AM

I like parlor guitars. My 0-18 is easy to hold and has a great sound. The below picture will give you an idea of how it is sized compared to a D-18.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Here's a suggestion for you parlor fans: try a set of LaBella Silk & Steel Lights. I tried them and they improved my parlor's tone X2; it was really incredible. And they feel good, with the short scale, under my fingers.
John Pearse Nuages also sound great. I'll give the Labella's a try the next time I order strings.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 01-24-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
I like parlor guitars. My 0-18 is easy to hold and has a great sound. The below picture will give you an idea of how it is sized compared to a D-18.

Didn't realize until now that those join at the 14th. Gives it a longer look. How long is the scale?

Couch Standards
Old 01-24-2018, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate215 View Post
adding to my comment on E10P.... I'm on my 4th weekly string change (experiment)... DR's, Pyramid's, D'Addarios, JP's etc... and IMHO, string choice makes or breaks the tonal quality and volume on my parlor. Currently the Pyramid Folk Round Core set is the winner for my tastes

Still have Curt Magnum and Spectrums to try.
I find that parlors can really vary in terms of tone and volume depending on the brand and the wood combos. I have a Pono 0 that I love and Pyramid Round cores sound great on it. Warm and clear, not boxy. I think it is a good practice to try different strings to see what is best for you in terms of tone and feel. The Eastman parlors and the Alvarez parlors are also both very nice.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-24-2018, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

I bought a Rainsong (Carbon Fiber) 12 fret parlor a couple years ago as a boat guitar. It has taken over!!!! It seems to be the one i keep going back to. Size, sound, overall enjoyment. Can't really explain it. It's not like my other guitars are crap....each one is great.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 01-24-2018, 07:37 PM

I think the Alvarez ap66shb is a sleeper, If you get a chance try one.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:13 AM

Default Interesting Parlor Guitar

I found this First Act Discovery Designer Soccer Ball Shaped Parlor Guitar & w/ Rouxinol R-30 strings, you could get an interesting sound.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:51 AM

I will also second the recommendation to check out vintage Sears and other department store models.

My parlour is a 1930s Maybell, all solid birch. I enjoy how focused it's sound is, it records really well too-- most of my first album was recorded with it because of how direct I find it's sound to be. I got mine for $400ish from Jake Wildwood.

2015 Martin DRS1

1930's Maybell Parlour
Old 03-21-2023, 02:03 PM

I have a folk size Alvarez: 14-fret neck and standard 25.4 scale. It is cheap as hell and punches way above its weight.

And I just got my hands on the new love of my life: a 00-28VS. It has a 12-fret neck and a short, 24.9 scale. Dear lord, it is a lovely guitar. I can't sit it down.

In both cases you lose some bump and thump: these things don't carry the same bass as a dread, nor the volume. But the 00-28 has an enormously fat low end: warm, full, complete. For my vocal accompaniment intent it is ideal.

Gretsch open back banjo (1972)
Walnut Creek mountain dulcimer (2004)
Old 03-21-2023, 03:25 PM

My parlor is a 12 fretter with a somewhat wide neck and is louder than I really need. The trick for me is to use a lighter touch with the right hand: then the musicality of the instrument is evident.

I do play slide sometimes and that's when the volume is appreciated.
I enjoy it most for slower fingerstyle tunes where notes can linger.

I got it a few years back due to shoulder pain. Later the pain went away and I mostly play my OM.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:34 PM

OO guitars are NOT parlor guitars. The original parlor guitars from the 19th century were even smaller than O size Martins. The best & biggest sounding one I have played was a Froggy Bottom P12
Old 03-21-2023, 03:46 PM

I have 5 acoustics now and 4 are parlor single 0.
I don't have the funds to go with a high end brand like Martin and others.

The first time I went looking for a parlor and I do mean a single 0, a 00 is not a true parlor. Most in the 80's were expensive. Later when A&L came out with the AMI 12 fret I got one around 2004 and it was all ply and sounded great. It was my go to. Then I bought a 2004 Seagull S series grand before the coast line came out and still have it. I had a Fender they still offer and it was ok but I sold it.

I wanted to replace the A&L AMI but they came out with the road worn and I thought about it but the prices were so high for me. I got a Recording King series 7 all laminate and it does sound pretty good. I did have an Epiphone EL-00 pro I liked which is still only a solid top but I don't consider it a true single 0 but I wanted a 000 so I got an Ibanez AC340 and like it a lot my only acoustic that is not a parlor. Then last year I was looking online for another acoustic still a parlor single 0 and looked at a Guild which I really liked with the slot head and a Alvarez and a few others and I all boiled down to what I could afford and since none came with a case I had to factor that in. Some , very few offered a case and finding one that fit was a difficult task.

I ended up with a Recording King G6 single 0 , it has a solid top , laminate Mahogany back and sides and found a case I could afford which is not a perfect fit a gator Classical case hard shell. It really bugs me I did find a case that would fit much better but at twice the price. And I didn't know at the time Recording King had a series 11 that is all solid wood still no case and that model was not that much more than I paid for the G6.

However the G6 has a 1 3/4" nut as does the Ibanez and I need a wide nut , I came get by on 1 11/16 but. What I found is the G6 RK is just as loud and has as much bass as the Ibanez AC340 and it has a thick neck which I like.

I haven't tried different strings , I still use D'Addario PB 12-53.

I just prefer single 0 over any other size. Never liked dreads , 000 is the largest I would go. I still regret I didn't know about the RK series 11 all solid wood and don't need the added electronics , that just adds to the price even though I could play it without and would most likely remove it.

The only thing is all Recording King models come with lousy bridge pins so I did get a 3 degree taper reamer and tusq pins since the stock pins are 3 degree but no 3 degree pin will fit without reaming since all will sit far to high , at least it's not the other way where true good 3 degree pins would fit loose.

I am happy with the RK G6 single 0 I have. The neck is a perfect fit for me and it does sound real good. The only 12 fret models I have are the Recording Kings and they both have a 24.4" scale and that does help. The Seagull grand is more like a Gibson scale and 14 fret model as is the Ibanez and all have a 16" radius.

Last edited by Blue will; 03-21-2023 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post

I've had them on now for a month, and they sound even better. And they are not pricey, less than $8.
This is an interesting quote from 2018. At that time LaBella silk and steel strings apparently cost only $8. I just checked and they are now $15.95 at several sites online.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion