The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancher View Post
......what's wrong with just using one of those Boveda setups from D 'Addario or someone?
The packs are expensive and of limited lifespan, even if you recharge them once they dry out. I have twelve guitars, so that would be a significant expense. I've also personally seen what happens to an instrument and case if the packs leak their salt solution...... I understand that the packs have been redesigned since then, but I'm not willing to risk it on MY guitars. Water beads or sponges in my perforated soap dishes or prescription bottles have never leaked on my guitars or ukulele, or ruined a nice case.

But as I said before I have no need to de-humidify, which might change my opinion. I only use the humidifiers when needed -- as the house rifts below 40% RH for extended periods per my two hygrometers in the music room. Small in-case hygrometers tell me when I need to do something different, like remove the humidifers.

My ultimate solution is converting over to carbon fiber guitars. I'm tired of this humidity battle.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:25 AM

I usually will wedge the box just below the accessory compartment. Placing it in with the body.

If I don’t feel it is secure I will fasten the back of the box to the body side wall of the accessory box with Velcro.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 01-20-2018, 10:26 AM

I use Oasis humidifiers in all my acoustic cases in the soundholes. I also added a sponge in a ziploc to the headstock area on a couple of them to ensure things stay at a certain level. We get down to 15-20% with the radiator heat and dry winter up here. I run two room humidifiers 24/7 and that keeps the room at around 30%. My electrics seem to be alright on their hangers at that level (I did find some sprouting on my Fender Mustang Bass). My acoustics in their cases with hygrometers show about 40-50% humidity. I’ve been filling them once a week, but I may have to fill them more frequently as this has been a cold winter.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

I have to wonder how many of you Sponge or Humibead users are thinking to only use distilled water to saturate them? Tap water contains minerals that will end up in the humidified air (and consequently on the wood- especially the unfinished interior).

I've seen people make the same mistake with cigar humidors; with ugly results. (the cigars also pick up the minerals, as do the sponges).

After what I've spent on the guitars, I'll stick to the Boveda system thank you...
2015 Taylor 914ce First Edition
2014 Taylor 812ce 12 fret First Edition
2014 Taylor 324ce FLTD Koa
2009 Taylor 954ce 12 string
1966 Gretsch Country Gentleman
Old 01-20-2018, 11:57 AM
Anticipation Junkie

For quite a long time, I’ve used a perforated (done with a one-hole lunch) ziplock sandwich bag with a distilled water soaked sponge. One is suspended in the soundhole held in place by weaving the top of the bag through the strings. If it’s really dry in the house, I may place another in the cutaway space. I also place one in the headstock area. Works well. I’m curious about trying these water beads in the bags instead of sponges.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkitman View Post
I have to wonder how many of you Sponge or Humibead users are thinking to only use distilled water to saturate them? Tap water contains minerals that will end up in the humidified air (and consequently on the wood- especially the unfinished interior).

I've seen people make the same mistake with cigar humidors; with ugly results. (the cigars also pick up the minerals, as do the sponges).

After what I've spent on the guitars, I'll stick to the Boveda system thank you...
This is factually incorrect.

Minerals don’t evaporate with the water, so they won’t hurt your guitar. If you put some tap water on a dark surface and let it dry, you’ll see a white residue which is the mineral content in the water. The water evaporates and the minerals stay behind. In the case of tap water and cigars, there can sometimes be mold spores in tap water which can then grow on the cigars. The thing that the minerals in tap water do is clog the sponge or beads, reducing their ability to hold water. Distilled water is just water that’s been evaporated (usually using heat), then condensed again without the minerals. It is recommended for humidifiers because it won’t clog them.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser View Post
I'm all for innovation and even for saving a few bucks, but by the time I'm done running to the dollar store, drilling holes in soap dishes, working out ways to place these homemade solutions in and around my case, I could and did just order these.....

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...iABEgJGT_D_BwE

They're not "cheap" but neither are my guitars. A really solid product that I check on every two weeks and just works. Ordered two for each case and could not be happier with their performance.
This one's cheaper
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GH

use the model that preceded this, which is only slightly different, but it does a great job holding the guitars at 45% or so. I use the home made, vitamin bottle humidifiers in the headstock compartment...they're filled with beads and need a lot less attention than the sponge models in the soundholes.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 01-20-2018, 05:28 PM

You had me at dumifier.....
Old 01-20-2018, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Ha! I never noticed.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
This is factually incorrect.

Minerals don’t evaporate with the water, so they won’t hurt your guitar. If you put some tap water on a dark surface and let it dry, you’ll see a white residue which is the mineral content in the water. The water evaporates and the minerals stay behind.
This is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
In the case of tap water and cigars, there can sometimes be mold spores in tap water which can then grow on the cigars.
This is false. Mold, mildew, wild yeast, etc. spores live in the air in your home. They will grow just as readily in distilled water or tap water. If your tap water is treated by your city it actually is less likely to support growth.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
If you don't believe that moisture gets around inside the entire case, try putting half a raw onion in your closed accessory box. Your whole case will stink inside the next day.
** I accept no liability for odor removal in your case if you try this experiment**
Hey, I'm a theoretical physicist, I get diffusion. I wasn't asking whether moisture gets around, but rather whether enough moisture gets into the soundbox, given the losses through the lid edge, the tight space along the neck, etc.

Several years ago I did an experiment with a sponge in a Ziploc with slits up beneath the headstock, and a hydrometer next to the sponge and another down near the soundhole (with cloth between it and the soundboard to prevent scratching). I left the guitar case flat for a day, then came back and looked at the gauges. The humidity near the sponge was around 50%, while down near the soundhole it was below 30%. The room the case was in was at 20%. Clearly moisture was making it down to the soundbox; but not enough. Hence my question as to whether folks are seeing different results.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:14 AM

I get the gist, but what is a "dumifier"?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-21-2018, 12:46 AM

I’ve asked this question on the original water bead homemade dumifier but got no reply: What are those water beads made of? Water and some kind of chemical compound, right? That chemical is getting onto and into your guitars. I’m unwilling to risk it until I have facts. If these work so much better than sponges, seems to me that Planet Waves or D’Addario would be trying to sell them to us.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
This is true.

This is false. Mold, mildew, wild yeast, etc. spores live in the air in your home. They will grow just as readily in distilled water or tap water. If your tap water is treated by your city it actually is less likely to support growth.
Good to know, thanks for the correction. I guess it really is just the clogging thing that cigar humidity need to avoid. I use Bovedas in mine, anyway. I’ve had one or two issues with mould over the years, but nothing major as I monitor things as much as I can.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
I’ve asked this question on the original water bead homemade dumifier but got no reply: What are those water beads made of? Water and some kind of chemical compound, right? That chemical is getting onto and into your guitars. I’m unwilling to risk it until I have facts. If these work so much better than sponges, seems to me that Planet Waves or D’Addario would be trying to sell them to us.
Planet Waves is D’Addario and they do sell humidifying packs for guitars.

Here’s your info on the crystals: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion