The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2018, 02:45 PM

Default Martin D28A 1937 aged vs 2018 Martin D41 standard

Hey guys,

Looking to add another Martin and I am having a difficult time deciding between these two instruments. I have not had the opportunity to play either one but I also don’t think it will be possible to play both side by side. It’s an agonizing predicament! Any advice is appreciated!
Old 01-18-2018, 03:01 PM

You can sell an Authentic in an Instant, should you decide to, and it’ll always hold its value better than a standard D41. For me, it’s not even really a fair competition.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:54 PM

Another guitar I am considering and may be a more apples to apples comparison. thoughts on a Pre War guitar co HD vs the aged 37 authentic?
Old 01-18-2018, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncogene1 View Post
Hey guys,

Looking to add another Martin and I am having a difficult time deciding between these two instruments. I have not had the opportunity to play either one but I also don’t think it will be possible to play both side by side. It’s an agonizing predicament! Any advice is appreciated!
Wow, can't say I've ever heard anyone ask for a comparison of a D-41 vs the D-28A 1937. Very interesting!

All the 40 series Martins have this extra shimmer in the tone that you don't hear in the other styles. Some speculate it is due to the extra routing of the top and sides, etc, to accommodate the Ablam inlay, that results in a guitar that is more responsive and alive because more wood is removed from the edges. You're also getting Martin's top grade woods too. You can definitely hear this difference... there is more reverb, echo, and sustain. It sounds like multiple guitars playing, making the 40 series excellent strummers and singer/songwriter instruments.

The D-28 Authentic 1937 is more of a flatpicker's guitar. It produces a huge sound, with deep dark bass and that dry vintage bluegrass tone. This model has plenty of fans on the AGF and elsewhere, but it has one peculiar attribute and that is the neck, which apparently to those who have played or owned a real deal 1937 D-28, resembles nothing like the real thing. The D-28A neck is quite small in 1st position, but quickly widens and thickens to a handful by the 7th fret upwards. I've played a few, it does feel weird, and I don't care for it at all. I think for this reason, you might want to make the effort to play one first before buying blind.

Lastly, I wouldn't pay a premium for Martin's aged treatment, as to me, it doesn't look realistic. By comparison, Pre*War Guitar Co has been getting glowing reviews for its very realistic pre-distressing work as well as producing very close sounding copies of vintage Martins. There are a few members here with the P*W HD and Mahogany D models that perhaps can chime in with their own perspective.

Good luck in your search!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-18-2018, 09:45 PM

I don’t like the neck on the D-28 ‘37. However I love the tone. I like the neck on the D-41. However, I don’t think the tone is as good as the Authentic.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Is the D-41 part of the new Re-imagined series of Martins for 2018 that will be getting some of the updates? I wonder if the new ones will be better than current models? I am not familiar with the spec’s so forgive my ignorance. Just wondering if maybe the new model might be better than the older/current model?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-18-2018, 10:33 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncogene1 View Post
Another guitar I am considering and may be a more apples to apples comparison. thoughts on a Pre War guitar co HD vs the aged 37 authentic?
I owned an early D-28A 1937, as well as a few other Authentics. It's tone was as good as any, but the neck just didn't suit me. It wasn't that I couldn't play it, but with other options at hand, I decided to let it go. I also own a Pre*War D, which I just love. I'm a Martin guy at heart, but in this case I'd give the nod to the P*W on the neck alone, but you also get BRW and I haven't heard one that wasn't a great sounding guitar.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Like Todd...I tried a D-28 Authentic '37 and while the guitar sounded good the neck and I did not get along? I have the Pre*War Guitar Co. HD (28) in Brazilian RW and it's stellar. I've played both (not side by side though?) and the HD was the clear winner to my ears. At current pricing the HD is about $3k more than the D-28 A 1937 at sponsor pricing. The up charge cost of a set of BRW from Martin is more than the entire PWGC HD model I bet?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 01-19-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Like Todd...I tried a D-28 Authentic '37 and while the guitar sounded good the neck and I did not get along? I have the Pre*War Guitar Co. HD (28) in Brazilian RW and it's stellar. I've played both (not side by side though?) and the HD was the clear winner to my ears. At current pricing the HD is about $3k more than the D-28 A 1937 at sponsor pricing. The up charge cost of a set of BRW from Martin is more than the entire PWGC HD model I bet?

If I get the itch for prewar tone that my Marquis can’t satisfy, the Pre*War HD would be my choice too. If Martin had used the neck profile from the D-28 Marquis, on the D-28 ‘37A I wouldn’t hesitate to get another one in the future.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
If I get the itch for prewar tone that my Marquis can’t satisfy, the Pre*War HD would be my choice too. If Martin had used the neck profile from the D-28 Marquis, on the D-28 ‘37A I wouldn’t hesitate to get another one in the future.
I agree. The neck on the D-28 Marquis is way more to my liking than the one they used on the D-28 A 1937. The D-28 Marquis is another great Martin.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

It's interesting, while not a deal-breaker for me, the neck of the Marquis and D-18GE is certainly not a preference. I much prefer the neck on my Authentic. I don't care for the sharpness of the V on the GE/Marquis neck, mostly on the fretboard edges.

My dream neck would be a standard Collings neck shape with a satin finish. Full, round, fast, and at 1 3/4 the perfect fit for me.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

It is interesting...we all like different neck profiles I suppose? And I can usually get along with most any of them but that D-28 A 1937 just fought me at every turn it seemed?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion