The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

Old 10-28-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
I’m a fan of a 24.9 scale with a 1.75 nut!
I went and played some 24.9 guitars and love how it sweetens the tone. Unfortunately a 1 11/16 (according to link in market place) is too narrow for my wide fingers, so I'll have to keep looking. However many people love that nut and width. It's almost impossible to find anything bigger on a stock electric guitar. It should appeal to many people and at an awesome price to! I hope it draws in many new players so we can see even more HG.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
Unfortunately a 1 11/16 (according to link in market place) is too narrow for my wide fingers, so I'll have to keep looking. However many people love that nut and width.
That is unfortunate indeed. I've been doing this for over 10 years now and every time I talk someone into building spec harp guitars we run into the same problem. I pick a nominal width and still it excludes many customers. That's why people custom order $10-20k instruments. But I'm finding more and more players out there at every level just accepting and dealing with this issue. In fact, vintage Dyer player Don Alder just got outfitted with our "skinny-neck" Timberline prototype. Me, I'm not that skilled - I stick with 1-7/8" and up (vintage Dyers and pro copies). Down the road I hope to offer a wider neck.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
I went and played some 24.9 guitars and love how it sweetens the tone. Unfortunately a 1 11/16 (according to link in market place) is too narrow for my wide fingers, so I'll have to keep looking.
Unlike some fingerstyle players, I don't really have an issue with a 1.69" vs a 1.75" nut width once the guitar has had a good setup with a very minor change to the nut. My Larrivee J-09 is the oldest guitar I have and it's a 1.69" width (nominally anyway, it's actually just a hair wider). If you can live with a little less edge of the neck real estate (depends a lot on how the ends of the frets are dressed and on how you play) then you can decrease the usual 1/8" edge to string center distance down to 7/64" (a difference of just 0.015" on each side) and gain 0.03" on the string spacing. For me the difference between the usual 1.5" string spacing on a 1.75" nut and the 1.47" string spacing that is possible on a 1.69" nut doesn't really feel any different.

Phil
Larrivee: '90 J-09 (spruce/EIR) Lowden: '10 O23c (cedar/Claro walnut) Tacoma: '01 ECM38c #5/100 (cedar/mahogany)

Music: Solo or Trio
Old 01-10-2018, 04:49 PM

I found a clip of Don Alder playing a Timberline HG, seems like this is the final release model. From his facebook.

Sounds pretty good to me!
Old 01-15-2018, 03:51 PM

Uh oh, I'm not sure I'll be able to resist that temptation... will have to see what things look like once taxes are done.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar