The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-14-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Well then you'd have to throw Mr. Klepper and Mr. Carruth in that mix!
H, N...!

See, that's what I'm afraid of (though in retrospect, judging by their remarks I shouldn't be surprised). And I'll bet you're no slouch yourself, Louie.

I think I need to write less and read more here.

What an amazing resource and opportunity for learning...
Old 10-14-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BothHands View Post
H, N...!

See, that's what I'm afraid of (though in retrospect, judging by their remarks I shouldn't be surprised). And I'll bet you're no slouch yourself, Louie.

I think I need to write less and read more here.

What an amazing resource and opportunity for learning...
LOL I'm just a scrub compared to those guys!
Old 10-17-2014, 07:18 PM

Louie is also an excellent choice for advice.

I have the same humidity problems I haven't built that many yet, but I control humidity only as I build. On lightly built guitars I hear changes in tone and have some problem with saddle height. I make an extra saddle for my players if I need it. It takes about ten or fifteen minutes. Then I switch them out when I change strings.

I hang mine on a wall where they are near a fire place that creates even greater swings in humidity and do not really have any problems. Maybe I will some day, but not yet. Ive had them in Montana at what feels like zero humidity, in California at 110 degrees, and in Washington at 90% humidity.

With the crazy beating I put Mine through as I play them and treat them like I can build another easy enough.(I like doing it almost as much as playing them.) I still do not have problems; If I pay attention to the neck angle, and humidity when first built.

If you pay attention to the neck angle when you buy one and the saddle has plenty of room to adjust, then there should not be much need to worry about neck resets. If eventually one does as John points out a dove tail is made in a way that can be easily removed and adjusted. It is truly a beautiful design (sounds good too).
I have seen some of your other posts. Think of it as a step further that you can go in doing your own work and adjustments.

What is that saying ( If you build them they will play ? )

Last edited by gpj1136; 10-17-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
John, or I should say, "Mr. Arnold" ==
'Mr. Arnold' will forever be my Dad, who turned 90 last month. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge. Tom Brokaw was right. He is truly part of the Greatest Generation.
From the first time I got to know Norman Blake, I was taken by how humble he was (and is). He said, "I don't want any hero worship.", to which I replied, "Fine, then I'll just treat you like s**t."
Big laugh.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpj1136 View Post
If you pay attention to the neck angle when you buy one and the saddle has plenty of room to adjust, then there should not be much need to worry about neck resets. If eventually one does as John points out a dove tail is made in a way that can be easily removed and adjusted. It is truly a beautiful design (sounds good too).
I have seen some of your other posts. Think of it as a step further that you can go in doing your own work and adjustments.

What is that saying ( If you build them they will play ? )
Thanks. I enjoyed reading your post (all of it) and I wish I had your luck or point-of-view or whatever it is that keeps you out of trouble. Of course, your being able to whip up a whole new guitar (if I read you right) goes a long way toward not having to worry much about these issues.

If I hung a guitar on a wall near a fireplace, it'd burst into flames after 15 minutes. Hell, if I hung a guitar on any wall, with no fireplace whatsoever, it'd still burst into flames in less than a week. That's just how I roll.

Last edited by BothHands; 10-19-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
'Mr. Arnold' will forever be my Dad, who turned 90 last month. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge. Tom Brokaw was right. He is truly part of the Greatest Generation.
From the first time I got to know Norman Blake, I was taken by how humble he was (and is). He said, "I don't want any hero worship.", to which I replied, "Fine, then I'll just treat you like s**t."
Big laugh.
Yeah, Norman Blake seems like a real guy with a real sense of humor and a decidedly real view of what's what. In other words, No BS.

As for your Dad, anyone who understands who did what, and why, in that war is forever proud of him and his brothers in arms. And I don't mean just Americans. There are people all across the planet who owe there very lives to American soldiers, airmen, Marines and sailors - and to the fighting men (and women) of our GREAT allies, of course. There are towns in France that, to this day, commemorate our battle dead, lost in securing their liberty. Powerful stuff.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:14 PM

I have an adjustable neck joint too. I've engineered mine so that it sets up just like a standard guitar so there is little to no adjustment from the players perspective. I really like building with this type of neck joint. After set up, I can really dial in the action. Most players never even know until I tell them. Its a set it and forget it type of thing - a built in neck re-set if you will.

Here is a pic.

I topped this idea off with adjustable saddles too. You can see them on this guitar.

Kevin.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:58 PM

Default adjustable neck

Nick Appollonio in Maine does it regularly. He has built over 1000 instruments and is surprisingly reasonably priced. He's also willing to try most anything.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:50 AM

Red face

I do not recommend hanging them by the fire that's the only place I have that's convenient. I do not like to have to look through cases for the one I want to play so I hang them.

Building them is addictive and the best teachers on the planet post here, and are extremely generous.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:01 PM

That is one nice looking guitar. I love the way you stained those curls to pop like that. Also it looks like some sort of old style Fender tweed on the sound ports.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:38 AM

Default Adjustable neck system JEFF HIGHLAND GUITARS

Adjustable neck system JEFF HIGHLAND GUITARS http://www.jeffhighland.com.au/

Old 10-22-2014, 08:37 AM

Ahhhhhhhhh!

Man! That's a nice, user-friendly approach to the issue. With so many fine examples of adjustable necks coming out of Australia, I think I'm living on the wrong side of the planet (as I've suspected all along...)

Thanks for adding JEFF HIGHLAND to this list.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair