The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-04-2015, 11:44 PM

Default N(used)GD--or, how I finally overcame my headstock snobbery

I present to you my most recent arrival: a 2004 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top in Heritage Cherry Sunburst.

Since I get to work very early a couple mornings a week and have a half-hour to spare on guitar, I'd been searching for a "knock-around" electric for my office for a few months. I got a little queasy about hauling my Gibson LP back and forth and thought that maybe an Epiphone might do the trick. Since Thanksgiving I think I've played a couple dozen and almost all of them left me feeling empty. (The one that didn't was actually more than I wanted to spend.) My lack of enthusiasm was due in large part to the fact that they just couldn't compare to my Gibson, but I'll also admit that some brand snobbery had crept in--I couldn't help but associate Epiphone with "beginner" guitars.

Well, a GREAT neighborhood used guitar shop that I frequent had this sitting around for a few months. I tried it a few weeks ago and overlooked how good it was because I was more interested in the amp I plugged it into. Anyways, I played it several times and, after an hour-long A/B session with my Gibson, finally admitted that this Epiphone was one HECK of a Les Paul, WAY better than any of the new or other used ones at GC.

It came stock with Grover tuners and still sports the original Epiphone pickups. The neck is sort of mid-way between the chunky 50s and thin 60's profiles, and the rosewood fretboard is actually nicer than my Gibson. The flame maple is quite pretty, though the guitar has some battle scars--buckle rash on the back, minor ding on the headstock, and two dimples on the front. The stock pickups are rock monsters that LOVE the dirty channel, but clean up well, too. And the p/u controls are extremely sensitive and useful for adjusting volume and presence--much more so than my Gibson for some reason.

After lowering the action and re-setting intonation, I'd say that I have a Les Paul that's 8.5/10 of my Gibson for 1/5 the price. I've enjoyed playing it so much the past two nights I almost hate to leave it at the office. And when it's all said and done, I like it more because it's an Epiphone and not in spite of it. Learned my lesson but good!

Here she is:

Last edited by Sombras; 04-05-2015 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:04 AM

Pretty! That will always be my favorite color on a Les Paul.

Based on your description, I'm curious if the previous owner swapped out any of the wiring harness. Mine was a muddy mess stock, but new 500k pots and quality caps had the effect you describe - clear and very responsive to adjustments. Sometimes, too, you just get that one really good one out of a bunch of so-so guitars. Congratulations!

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 04-05-2015, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Nice LP Sombras, and I know just how you feel. I have nicer, more expensive guitars but my Squier gets the most play time. I got it off eBay for $48 for the sole reason of learning how to work on the insides. I gutted it and replaced everything (except pickups) with US components and new wire. Then I dressed it up a little with a new pick guard and knobs. It sounds great, plays great and believe it or not, is probably my most comfortable guitar. So while the others are in cases or hanging in the music room, el cheapo is on a stand next to my kitchen chair in easy arms' reach. It's plugged into a little 5w tube amp sitting on a corner table. Any time I take a break and sit down, I pick it up and play. I never would have guessed a Squier would become a regular player for me...headstock snobbery and all
Old 04-05-2015, 12:09 PM

"I like it more because it's an Epiphone and not in spite of it." - What a great quote! I used to feel that way too until I found a couple of great used Epiphone Les Pauls and bought them because they sounded and played great (they had upgraded pickups/electronics).

Congrats on the Les Paul! Now, whenever you see a nice used epi for sale, you're going to want to play it ... just in case it's a special one.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:46 PM

A cheap guitar is a buddy you can relax with. A guitar that's so expensive and refined it makes you feel like you have to curtsey when you enter the room is not conducive to making music.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
A cheap guitar is a buddy you can relax with. A guitar that's so expensive and refined it makes you feel like you have to curtsey when you enter the room is not conducive to making music.
True! Problem is, I've bonded with this guitar MUCH faster than I did the Gibson Studio Deluxe, so now I'm paranoid about leaving it at work, but that's why I bought it. I'll suck it up.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
+1. My Gibson was bought as a player, not a collector's piece. There's a little chipping in the neck finish, and a ding on the headstock. That's surprisingly liberating, though. I can relax and let the music flow instead of being paranoid about accidentally bumping something, or leaving smudges to clean off, and so on. I just enjoy the heck out of her, give her a good wipe down, and hang her back up.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 04-16-2015, 11:36 PM

I'm gassing for these Epi Plus Tops, since they came out. MF has them for $399 with free shipping (at least a few of the colors- one that I'd want).

Sweet, always wanted a Paul!!
Old 04-17-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybones View Post
I'm gassing for these Epi Plus Tops, since they came out. MF has them for $399 with free shipping (at least a few of the colors- one that I'd want).

Sweet, always wanted a Paul!!
Thanks! The grainy cellphone photo really doesn't do the flame maple justice. Yesterday a ray of sunlight hit it through the window and blew me away. I'm LOVING this guitar.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:20 PM

Really appreciate the good review. For my first ever electric I really want a Gibson LP but I feel that would just not be a wise purchase for my playing level and may have to settle on the Epi version.

My thought was that I went cheap with my first acoustic and rightly so....wanted my next purchase to be something of more quality and made in America....
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 04-17-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
Really appreciate the good review. For my first ever electric I really want a Gibson LP but I feel that would just not be a wise purchase for my playing level and may have to settle on the Epi version.

My thought was that I went cheap with my first acoustic and rightly so....wanted my next purchase to be something of more quality and made in America....
This guitar surprised me once I paid real attention to it. One thing that I forgot to mention was that all of the new/newer Epiphone LPs I played at GC were Chinese-made. I just assumed this one was, too. It wasn't until I had AB'd this one with my Gibson LP Studio Deluxe II, and decided that this Epiphone was different than the others I'd played, that the shop owner pointed out it was Korean-built, not Chinese. Some online observers claim that the Korean Epiphones were superior to the current Chinese models. That may be nostalgia talking since Epiphone no longer makes LPs in Korea, but others claim the Korean factories had higher production standards and used better components.

I don't know, but all I can say is that this Epiphone LP (Korean-made) feels and sounds different than the new (Chinese-made) models I've played. I had a MONSTER session with it early this morning.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:32 PM

Found that out 30 years ago with an '82 Yamaha SSC-500 - a vaguely Gretsch Corvette-looking hardtail solid with three individually-switchable/tappable single coils - and '86 MIJ Squier Strat that cost me $199 each brand-new, and served as my main electrics for 25+ years. Retired the Strat when they started gaining collector value, still use the Yamaha as a rehearsal beater when I'm working with kids...
Old 04-18-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Wow! Nice words. I like words, and them is some nice ones for sure!
Old 04-18-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Can't speak for anyone else, but given the choice I'd rather spend the night dancing cheek-to-cheek with Pippa Middleton than Roseanne Barr...
Old 04-21-2015, 02:37 PM

Congrats.nice axe. Play it in good health.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars