The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-04-2015, 06:59 AM

What are you waiting for?

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 04-04-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post

Wonder how long should I wait.

Thanks
I started on electric and then switched to acoustic a couple of years later. Since then I've played both. I think that's an easier transition than the other way around. You shouldn't wait at all. In many ways they are two completely different animals and the longer you focus solely on acoustic the more difficult the transition will be. Not always, but in general an electric sounds awful when played with the technique of an acoustic and the longer you reinforce your acoustic playing the harder it will be to switch over. My advice is to learn both simultaneously.

Last edited by DESERTRAT1; 04-04-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:33 PM

Bought an acoustic beginning of my senior year. Played it for 5 years then was invited by my best friend from school (kindergarten on- remember when I met him) to form a garage band. I could play his bass rig (Lyon P bass copy Peavey TKO 115), and he said I needed to get an electric set up.

Mentioned this at the bar I was working (Ye Olde Trail Tavern in Yellow Springs Ohio), and the kitchen manager Mike (in many bands in the 80's) said he had some electrics he wanted to sell. He was thinning the herd before he got married and offered to sell me an electric for "2 to 3 hundred bucks".

We made arrangements to meet at his house for me to check out what he had. I went there and the first one he showed me was a 1976 I Stratocaster hardtail natural finish in OHSC. He opened the case, and I said "I'll take it!"

He said don't you want to see anything else? I said OK, and he showed me a bunch of metal type guitars (BC Rich, Jackson, Charvel) that I was in no way interested in. When he had showed me the rest of his arsenal I asked him how much he wanted for the Strat. He said "I said 2 to 3 hundred right? $300"

So I gave him $300 cash and walked with the guitar. He said he had been suing it to play slide so I needed to lower the saddles. He also said he was thinking about routing it for a Floyd Rose if I hadn't bought it.

Here's a pic
Old 04-05-2015, 01:26 AM

Default Did you start on acoustic then go electric?

I started on electric (a no name bolt on neck Les Paul copy) when I was around 12 having played piano and flute before, started to learn bass as well a year later and then got my Guild D35 when I was 18.

These days I would say I am an acoustic and electric guitarist and bassist, I'm happy to play whichever according to the occasion!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-05-2015, 07:02 AM

I started with an acoustic in 1967 and got my first electric in 1968. I've owned lots of both over the years.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
..and one more thing, I have my heart set on a Gibson Les Paul electric made in America but cannot justify the cost for my needs over similar Epiphone versions.

How do these stack up in quality comparisons?
IMO it's hard to beat a Gibson. Gibson made some affordable LP's in their 2014 model line. Check out the LPJ and the LP Melody Maker.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY000 View Post
IMO it's hard to beat a Gibson. Gibson made some affordable LP's in their 2014 model line. Check out the LPJ and the LP Melody Maker.
That's good to know and I'll check into those. Thanks.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 04-06-2015, 07:18 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
..and one more thing, I have my heart set on a Gibson Les Paul electric made in America but cannot justify the cost for my needs over similar Epiphone versions.

I own more than one Gibson. The last one I bought was a 1960s LP Studio Tribute Faded LP with P-90s.

HERE is my review. The quality, the fretboard, and the feel and sound of these are as good as their high-gloss brothers. The one I found had nice tall frets that were well-leveled on a nice, level fretboard. I bought this as a secondary guitar because I wanted P-90s and didn't want to pay full price to dip my toe in that water. I found it to be an excellent guitar when compared to my other, higher-line Gibsons. As I recall I plunked down about $700-800 on this guitar. I'm more satisfied with the USA Gibsons than with the Epis. They've just felt better and sounded better to me, so far than the two Epis I bought in the '90s.

But it all comes down to how much you have to spend. From everything I've heard Epi quality has been on the rise, so the better Epis could be quite good. Have fun with the pursuit.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-08-2015, 02:43 PM

They are different animals, and I play different stuff on an electric. If you really want to go electric, I say go. I waited for about a year. I play electric about 90% of the time. I still enjoy acoustics now and then, but my passion is electric. I always thought it was because I didn't own a good acoustic. Well I now own a Santa Cruz, and a Gibson J50. I am still an electric nut.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:18 PM

I started acoustic, did that for 3 years, then played electric bass another two, then electric guitar one more, then electrified my acoustics, now im building my own electric. Its been one hell of a joyride and its been fun the whole entire time. I guess thats what matters?

I have equal amounts of fun wether acoustic or electric; if im making music im good!
Paracho Bajo Quinto
Gabbanelli solid body bajo quinto (M1A/DP156)

Amps:
VOX AGA150
Line 6 spider
Old 04-11-2015, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I own more than one Gibson. The last one I bought was a 1960s LP Studio Tribute Faded LP with P-90s.

HERE is my review. The quality, the fretboard, and the feel and sound of these are as good as their high-gloss brothers. The one I found had nice tall frets that were well-leveled on a nice, level fretboard. I bought this as a secondary guitar because I wanted P-90s and didn't want to pay full price to dip my toe in that water. I found it to be an excellent guitar when compared to my other, higher-line Gibsons. As I recall I plunked down about $700-800 on this guitar. I'm more satisfied with the USA Gibsons than with the Epis. They've just felt better and sounded better to me, so far than the two Epis I bought in the '90s.

But it all comes down to how much you have to spend. From everything I've heard Epi quality has been on the rise, so the better Epis could be quite good. Have fun with the pursuit.

Bob

Great looking guitar, thanks for sharing this review!
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 04-11-2015, 08:01 AM

I played acoustic exclusively for at least 10 years before I ever thought of trying an electric. I wanted to get into playing lead and electric blues, and I bought a little Electra solid body.
However, that's when our local music scene essentially disappeared and I ended up selling it.

Just recently, I bought an Ibanez semi-hollow for fingerstyle jazz, my new endeavor. Coupled with a Cube 40 amp...Pretty credible sound.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:

I really can't address the quality of Epiphone Les Pauls as I've never played one. I know there's no substitute for the Gibson model in term of sustain and richness of tone. I got my Les Paul Deluxe in a pawn shop for $600 back in the 1980s. It's not collectible at all; it's got dings and nicks all over the place -- it has seen a lot of wear -- but it sounds beautiful. The only advice I can give you is to keep shopping around until you find the deal you can afford. I wanted a Les Paul for more than 15 years before I found the one I could afford... and I've never looked back or regretted it.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
I really can't address the quality of Epiphone Les Pauls as I've never played one. I know there's no substitute for the Gibson model in term of sustain and richness of tone. I got my Les Paul Deluxe in a pawn shop for $600 back in the 1980s. It's not collectible at all; it's got dings and nicks all over the place -- it has seen a lot of wear -- but it sounds beautiful. The only advice I can give you is to keep shopping around until you find the deal you can afford. I wanted a Les Paul for more than 15 years before I found the one I could afford... and I've never looked back or regretted it.
I hear ya Zabdart. I told myself when I was in university that when I got a good paying job I'd save and get a Gibson Les Paul. I bought it in Jan 2001 and it's a keeper.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:53 PM

Thumbs up

As a voice concentration music major, I started on my roommate's acoustic, got my first from a friend in the dorm within the year, and took a couple terms of lessons from the guitar prof in my classical school (who only taught acoustic technique to beginners, even recommended we use nylon strings, which I did).

I picked up advice early on that starting totally acoustic could prevent getting sidetracked too much by amps, pedals, etc., that figure into electric play. For me, this was good advice - I don't multi-task well, and there's enough difference that they're much like learning different instrument types.

I've been playing acoustic for about 17 years, and the last six months have finally seen me breaking into getting a tube amp, assembling a pedalboard, and getting an electric (G&L ASAT, a Tele-type). And I'm having a blast, both enjoying the different feel of each, as well as all the electric-only techniques (e.g., "playing" the volume knob, and finding which pickup is appropriate for which parts of a song). For me, it was worth the wait.

BUT waiting also meant I had to cough up a lot more coin for my musical ear to be satisfied with the electric I got. If you're just starting out, you might be able to enjoy learning on the Epiphone and save up for the Gibson down the road a little more.

Regardless, welcome to the wonderful world of guitaring!

https://soundcloud.com/mcshepherd

Axe (acoustic): 2013 Gibson J-45 Standard (w/hardware mods)
Pickup: BGM Elevation SBT
Preamp/DI: Archangel x7 (generation 7)
Tube Amp: Peavey Delta Blues 115

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars