The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-07-2015, 12:58 PM

Default I have 2 months to decide.

So my 40th birthday is coming up in less than 2 months and my wife was going to plan a big surprise party. That is until I told her I really didn't want one. She'd asked if there were something special she could do for me and I thought a new electric guitar would be a great 40th birthday present! So basically I have a month and a half to come up with what I want. I will definitely be buying new and my budget is up to $1,200 (not that I have to spend that much).

Right now I only have 1 electric. It is a Mexican Fender Stratocaster with a Seymour Duncan Little 59 in the bridge. The neck and middle are Dragonfire Alnico V magnet pickups that (to me) sound somewhere in between Texas Specials and Vintage Noiseless. I kind of think of it as a utility guitar. It can handle just about anything I throw at it. Heavy metal not so much but just about anything else.

I listen and play all kinds of music from blues, rock, metal so my list of guitars I am considering is fairly vast. Here are a few so far...

Gibson - Les Paul Special double cut with P90's or a Les Paul Studio. Both are high on my list but I am extremely hesitant because I am not a fan of the "G-Force" tuning system which both guitars have.

Fender - The Mexican made Chris Shifflet Telecaster Deluxe. I've always admired his Signature Telecaster (even before Fender started making it).

Gretsch G5135 CVT - I don't know what else to say except everything about this guitar appeals to me.

Ibanez RG655 Prestige - This one is right at the top of the budget. I've always had a love for Ibanez RG's (since I was a kid). I owned one earily 90's Japan made Ibanez that was fantastic but HAD to sell it long ago for financial reasons. I've owned several lower end Ibanez RG's since but have sold them all because they had inferior tremolo systems that just didn't stay in tune and were very hard to set up. The RG655 is Made in Japan and has an original Edge Tremolo system which is arguably one of the best tremolos ever produced. For $1200 this guitar is probably the the highest quality out of what I am looking at.

Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations?
Old 03-07-2015, 01:02 PM

Always a difficult choice to narrow down to a specific guitar. Do you think you're more of a humbucking or a single coil fan?

As far as the Les Paul Studio and the new tuning system goes, there are 2014 models still in the stores so you can always go for them. Last time I checked they were about $100 cheaper than the 2015s (at Long & McQuade).
Old 03-07-2015, 01:43 PM

I either want soap bar p90s or humbuckers. I'd not thought about the fact that there are 2014 Gibsons still floating around. I will surely take that into consideration!
Old 03-07-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider24 View Post
...I've always had a love for Ibanez...I owned one early 90's Japan made Ibanez that was fantastic but HAD to sell it long ago for financial reasons...
Since we're not getting any younger, let's go for something classic - and classy:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-IBA-AR420-LIST
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-IBA-AR100C

Of course, you'll need an amp to go with it:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V55Infinium

Takes you right to the $1200 mark, and should give you just about any tone you're likely to need...

Happy 4-0...
Old 03-07-2015, 05:14 PM

I am thinking a Telecaster with P-90's! It's a great sound, and can cover alot of ground.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:35 PM

Look at the various G&L offerings. Lots of different styles, American-made, and most are available new at or below your price ceiling.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments...tars/index.asp

I own a guitar.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
I am thinking a Telecaster with P-90's! It's a great sound, and can cover alot of ground.
+1 on this, especially if it's a thinline.

I'd strongly encourage you to be imaginative. Use this as an opportunity to get something that you wouldn't necessarily consider otherwise. Mr. DeRosa is leading you in a good direction, methinks.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-07-2015, 07:39 PM

Kick in a couple hundred and get a Rickenbacker 330.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 03-07-2015, 08:11 PM

A Tele with P90's is another option. Not sure about the thin line but I'm open minded. I will have to try out as many as I can.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

I already own two nice, early 70's Gibson electrics, along with a Taylor T-5... but IF I were in the market for a new electric, I would take more than a couple SERIOUS LOOKS at the Reverend line-up... I have played a half-dozen of them and have been VERY impressed, both by the quality, the tone, the playability and the added "features" (which are VERY well thought-out and actually make great sense, while sounding wonderful!).

Both the Reverend Sensei and the Buckshot have been favorites of mine... I think either one comes in well below a Grand, but buying a case for it would bump the price back up a bit...

Do yourself a favor and check out Reverend electric guitars, unless, of course, you are a "slave" to the name on the headstock... in which case, you won't be getting much except a cut-rate Gibson (not new, anyway) or a Mexican Fender...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-07-2015, 09:29 PM

Default Here's a 40th Anniv. model ESP/Ltd. model....

http://www.espguitars.com/products/1...versary-series
Old 03-07-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I already own two nice, early 70's Gibson electrics, along with a Taylor T-5... but IF I were in the market for a new electric, I would take more than a couple SERIOUS LOOKS at the Reverend line-up... I have played a half-dozen of them and have been VERY impressed, both by the quality, the tone, the playability and the added "features" (which are VERY well thought-out and actually make great sense, while sounding wonderful!).

Both the Reverend Sensei and the Buckshot have been favorites of mine... I think either one comes in well below a Grand, but buying a case for it would bump the price back up a bit...

Do yourself a favor and check out Reverend electric guitars, unless, of course, you are a "slave" to the name on the headstock... in which case, you won't be getting much except a cut-rate Gibson (not new, anyway) or a Mexican Fender...
I'd like to second this. I owned a Reverend Sensei for about two years and it is the only guitar I have regretting selling, ever. Excellent guitars--and not just for the money, either.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Since we're not getting any younger, let's go for something classic - and classy:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-IBA-AR420-LIST
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-IBA-AR100C

Of course, you'll need an amp to go with it:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V55Infinium

Takes you right to the $1200 mark, and should give you just about any tone you're likely to need...

Happy 4-0...
Steve, great point.

sportrider24, do you have an amp? Consider the amp is going to be roughly 50% responsible for your tone.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:36 AM

The Reverend Warhawk 390 is pretty sick! I'll have to look into local dealers. Thanks for that suggestion.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Steve, great point.

sportrider24, do you have an amp? Consider the amp is going to be roughly 50% responsible for your tone.
I do have an amp I have a Fender Mustang 1!!! J/K... Well I do have one but I also have a Marshall Class 5 which is a 5 watt all tube combo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars