The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-18-2015, 12:38 AM

Default Bigsby anyone?

I've ended up liking my Korean Epiphone LP Standard Plus Top so much it went from this:

to this:

Old 04-18-2015, 06:01 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I've always wanted to do that with one of my guitars using the Vibramate system. Just never got around to it.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-18-2015, 06:09 AM

Cool! It's got that vintage vibe going.

Did you install it yourself?
Old 04-18-2015, 07:43 AM

Bob and Dru,

Yah, did it myself. It's embarrassingly easy. Took me ten minutes to mount the Vibramate and Bigsby and then another half-hour to string it because I didn't have the technique down. Now I could do it in five minutes, but it definitely requires an adjustment in mindset. Once I figured out to use a capo, I wrapped up the job quickly. I prefer the look of the B5 to the long-tailed B7, so the Vibramate was the way to go.

It ain't no Floyd Rose, but it definitely provides some good shimmer on the chords and harmonics. And good point, Dru, with the battle scars on the Epiphone, the Bigsby does add to the vintage vibe.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:06 AM

Everything on a guitar has its advantages and drawbacks. I really think Bigsby tailpieces provide the best vibrato lever system out there, but I HATE changing strings on one of them! I just find it to be a real P. I. T. A.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:22 AM

That is SO cool!

I've never had a Bigsby. Expecting on Wednesday, however, my first. Ordered a Silvertone 1478 reissue. Mostly for the novelty, but the seller is giving it a full real (paid-for) setup per what I think I want, and although I'm not expecting any first-rate-playing guitar, I still think/hope it'll be cool. http://www.silvertoneclassic.com/guitars/model-1478/

Sorry for the hijack, OP. I'm just excited and you opened the Bigsby door for my selfish self. Yours looks way cool and fun, though. Enjoy!

(Used "cool" three times. Anyone up to the challenge?)
Old 04-18-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Everything on a guitar has its advantages and drawbacks. I really think Bigsby tailpieces provide the best vibrato lever system out there, but I HATE changing strings on one of them! I just find it to be a real P. I. T. A.
I just use a capo solves the holding issue
Old 04-18-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCamino View Post
That is SO cool!

I've never had a Bigsby. Expecting on Wednesday, however, my first. Ordered a Silvertone 1478 reissue. Mostly for the novelty, but the seller is giving it a full real (paid-for) setup per what I think I want, and although I'm not expecting any first-rate-playing guitar, I still think/hope it'll be cool. http://www.silvertoneclassic.com/guitars/model-1478/

Sorry for the hijack, OP. I'm just excited and you opened the Bigsby door for my selfish self. Yours looks way cool and fun, though.
COOL! You'll love that guitar! I decided to take the Bigsby plunge last week after playing a vintage SG with a factory Bigsby unit.

I'm still waiting for the new strings to settle in. At that point I'll decide whether to go with a roller bridge or leave it alone. I can hear the wound strings "clicking" over the bridge saddles, which I have heard is normal. My local guitar guru doesn't care for the roller units since he feels they tend to throw strings, but I might experiment anyways.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:09 PM

on the recordings I am doing I am playing all the guitar and bass parts...so I am auditioning guitar players right now for live shows.so this cat comes over a good player with a bigsby .. one of the solos I wrote for a tune I need him to play note for note because I am improving on the bass... well the bigsby can not do the dives and screams my floyed does no matter how hard he tried . he is going to get a new guitar now for the gig. just saying.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:09 PM

How's the tuning stability with the Vibramate - I've been toying with the idea of putting one on my own (Gibson) LP, but with only the bridge studs to hold the Bigsby in place I'd think it would be kinda finicky compared to the traditional "tailpiece" setup; if it works it'd be a welcome tradeoff in terms of added weight...
Old 04-18-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
How's the tuning stability with the Vibramate - I've been toying with the idea of putting one on my own (Gibson) LP, but with only the bridge studs to hold the Bigsby in place I'd think it would be kinda finicky compared to the traditional "tailpiece" setup; if it works it'd be a welcome tradeoff in terms of added weight...
Based on my very short-term experience and observations, the ONLY way that the Vibramate itself could contribute to tuning instability is if the shallower string angle between the tone bar and the TOM bridge caused by the Vibramate's thickness reduced tension over the saddle, if that's even possible. I doubt very much that this would happen.

As I play and fiddle with and just stare at the new set up, there are several things to consider or set straight about the Vibramate. First, with the Vibramate the Bigsby will sit about 3/16" higher than without it. Some complain about this, but I'm happy with it because it gives just a little more room to depress the bar. It weighs very little, so I wouldn't sweat it. The Bigsby itself is what adds the weight.

Next is how it anchors the Bigsby to the guitar. I was VERY skeptical that the Vibramate would provide as solid an anchoring point as the traditional direct mounting to the guitar surface and strap button area. Simple physics would suggest it wouldn't--two anchoring points vs. two--but I can confidently say that there does not appear to any movement when I use the bar.

I am currently obsessing over the bridge and tuning stability. Web searches show people divided into three camps: (1) some claiming that that all their problems were solved with one roller bridge or another; (2) others saying that roller bridges either make no difference, or make any problems worse; (3) and the third group saying there are no problems with the Bigsby and TOM bridge and that that tuning problems are most associated with the nut. The nut on my Epi is as perfect as I've ever seen on a guitar--better than my Gibson LP, in fact.

I have noticed that when using the Bigsby the wound strings will subtly "ratchet" over the bridge saddles. I've read this is normal, and it makes perfect sense that this would happen. Nonetheless, as a guy who cut his teeth sharp on locking Floyd Rose units in the 80s, it's something that will take some getting used to. Ditto the fact that the TOM bridge can rock ever so gently when depressing the bar. Some web know-it-alls claim that this is TERRIBLE and will destroy your guitar, but I have to think that guys like Waddy Wachtel--who has been using the same Bigsbified Les Paul for over 40 years--would laugh at this.

Right this second I am experience some tuning instability, but the strings are brand new and usually take a couple days to settle down, for me, at least. I will give it a little time before I decide whether to spend another $40 on a roller bridge.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:29 AM

Put me in the camp that say the roller bridges are better. Get a graphite nut too
Old 04-20-2015, 11:18 AM

I like this combo.

P.S. If stiction is an issue, graphite saddles work quite well.

George

Last edited by Tone Gopher; 04-20-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombras View Post
Based on my very short-term experience and observations, the ONLY way that the Vibramate itself could contribute to tuning instability is if the shallower string angle between the tone bar and the TOM bridge caused by the Vibramate's thickness reduced tension over the saddle, if that's even possible.
A shallower break angle should allow strings to slide backwards and forwards over the saddles more easily as you wang on the bar.

Like you said, it's really important to have a well-cut nut so that strings can move freely across the nut slots as well.

Locking tuners might also help. With normal tuners, the wraps of string around the capstan can tighten and slacken.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:08 AM

Schaller locking roller bridge on the way from Stewmac.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars