The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-25-2018, 10:41 AM

Default Sudden/Suprise Picking Awareness/ability

I NEVER use a pick. Never. I have a handful of different ones that I tried for a few minutes and then tossed in a drawer, thinking, nope - still hate it.

Today, about two years into playing at all and using only my fingers for everything, I got out a pick to try for a certain song and lo and behold, I can pick with it - just simple "boom chucka pick a high note on the upstroke" stuff, but I'm surprised. I thought I would feel rather blind - not knowing where the strings are with the pick in my hand, because that's how it felt when I tried it in the past, but, no, the pick goes right to the string I want. It's a by-product of spatial awareness from playing only with fingers, I imagine, which should mean that starting with fingers would be fine even if you want to develop picking skills later. Anyone else seen this? Thoughts?

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 02-25-2018, 10:50 AM

Probably something to the spatial awareness angle.You may find it a bit more challenging doing string skipping or rolls that would only involve sequential finger activation playing without a pick.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Probably something to the spatial awareness angle.You may find it a bit more challenging doing string skipping or rolls that would only involve sequential finger activation playing without a pick.
Undoubtedly. My fingerpicking is pretty intricate, but I don't have much interest in getting good with the pick so... yeah.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 02-25-2018, 11:35 AM

My experience is that things happen like that sometimes. You're unaware that somewhere in the unconscious background you're learning something.

When I first started playing the guitar I was under the impression that real acoustic guitar players were fingerpickers. I practiced and eventually got where I could pick with three fingers and thumb, although very mechanically--like a music box really--and that's not how good players play.

Long story, off topic of your post, but I eventually concentrated on thumb and one finger learning to make the high strings more interesting, and when I transitioned to cross-picking with a flat pick, I already had that string location thing down pretty well.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write