The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Telefunken M80 or AKG 214 microphone
Eric,

Can I assume you use the Telefunken when you are somewhat worried about feedback and the AKG when feedback is not an issue? If not, what determines which you use on any given occasion?

Steve
Old 12-14-2012, 09:15 PM

8 channel mixer with a pair of QSC speakers on stands.

TC Helicon Harmony GXT pedal on the chorus of some songs.

Small acoustic amp (Ultrasound as a monitor) or Shure IEM for noisy venues.

Very Good Mics ( Nuemann and Sennheiser)

Martin and Taylor guitars
Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 AM

Adair Neto:

Per your request, here's some pics of my rig:

'06 Guild D-55 with Fishman Matrix Pickup:

BOSS BCB-6 Case with (r to l): BOSS TU-3 tuner, BOSS TR-2 Tremolo, BOSS DM-2 Analog Delay, BOSS CH-1 Super Chorus, BOSS RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay, BOSS GE-7 EQ:

Finally, my wonderful Fender Acoustasonic Jr DSP Amp. The guitar channel sounds quite good and the vocal channel will make anyone sound like a MUCH better singer than they really are. This amp is exactly the same size and weight as a Fender Deluxe Reverb (about 42 lbs). It has Tilt Back legs that get your sound to the back of the room:

I've been gigging for six years with this setup and it's never let me down.

While the amp has a lot of cool effects built in, I find it much faster to use a few stompboxes rather than having to spin dials and remember settings for different songs.

Last edited by 6L6; 12-17-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:23 AM

Lowden O25 or Fylde Custom Alexander with K&K minis...k&K Pure XLR preamp...AER combo or PA as appropriate. Simple!
(Also occasionally use bouzouki and/or mandolin with K&K minis in the same way.)
Keith

Last edited by ocarolan; 12-17-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
Eric,

Can I assume you use the Telefunken when you are somewhat worried about feedback and the AKG when feedback is not an issue? If not, what determines which you use on any given occasion?

Steve
The 214 is a lot more sensitive. Around drums or bass it's too hard, most of the time. But I have done it. For a small concert for a quiet audience I use the 214. This it a few weeks ago http://youtu.be/EpQkKtv02hw The Telefunken is very tight, but also very clear like a good condenser. It's a $250 mic that has a $100 transformer in it. It's almost a loss leader for them. A lot of mic for the money.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
The 214 is a lot more sensitive. Around drums or bass it's too hard, most of the time. But I have done it. For a small concert for a quiet audience I use the 214. This it a few weeks ago http://youtu.be/EpQkKtv02hw The Telefunken is very tight, but also very clear like a good condenser. It's a $250 mic that has a $100 transformer in it. It's almost a loss leader for them. A lot of mic for the money.
Thanks. Helpful as usual.

Steve
Old 12-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Guest 2143

It seems that many on this forum, or at least on this thread, plug into house PA systems regularly and have nothing more than a smallish amplifier. We (duo) sometimes have sound provided for us, but often have to provide our own sound. We perform at some small venues where very little sound reinforcement is required, but also in relatively large/loud spaces inside and outstide. This is why we need a PA that can be scaled up or down according to our needs. I am envious of some of the smaller setups people have, but we just couldn't get some of the gigs we get without our PA system or even be heard at all at some performances without it.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:02 PM

Sorry to give the wrong impression. For bigger settings where I supply the sound, I have a Mackie Mixer, an ancient 550w Sunn powered mixer (for power) and two JBL Eon1500 speakers. I'll typically use the SoloAmp as a monitor. It all takes a lot of schlepping and setup, so I'm grateful that two of my regular places have excellent house sound.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:51 PM

Taylor 414 ce
Alvarez 5021 12 strings

yamaha ac stomp
tc electronics polytune

2 x jbl 615M
Old 01-07-2013, 06:55 PM

Default New Live Rig

Larrivee P-10 Quilted Mahogany parlor with a Baggs pickup (not sure which one) or a 1975 Guild D25 M with a Takamine Tri-Ax sound hole pickup (Basically a black Baggs M1A)

Boss TU-2 Tuner > Fishman Aura Dreadnought (Basically a 16) > Boss GE7 EQ > Yamaha AG Stomp. For solo stuff I use their PA, with a band I use the same pedals but use solid body acoustics like an Alvarac FCF710 or, 'Shudder', a Line 6 Variax Acoustic 700.

Vocals AKG 535 - TC Helicon Mic Mechanic

It's a combination of older low end gear, but it works. The whole PB cost a total of 350$. The AG stomp is nice for the Limiter, Mic Model, Reverb, tweak EQ and a minimal bit of chorus. The Aura is used really sparingly - 3% blend (if at all).
Old 01-09-2013, 04:48 PM

Old 01-07-2018, 03:33 AM

Default Gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha,

My Live Rig (Updated 8/12):

Guitars: Three self-made OO/OOO sized Koa guitars - all 30+ years old. I need three for all the tunings I use. Currently building three new ones.

Dual-Source Guitar Amplification Systems: K&K Mini Pickup/AKG 416 hyper internal condenser mics in all three gigging guitars.

External Instrument Mic: In quieter settings, I'll add a JW-modded AKG 460 condenser or Heil PR 35 dynamic mic at around 4-8" away at the 18th fret. DR Pro low profile stand.

Preamp: Pendulum SPS-1 w/ PU-Mic plug-in module. The best live acoustic guitar preamp available, IMO. Fully parametric EQ prevents ALL feedback in ALL settings I've played to date. Greg's module is pure genius. 1 rack space.

FX: TC Electronics M-2000 Dual Engine Stereo FX Processor. I only use very light doses of FX in most cases, with few exceptions. This unit offers unbelievable control and over 500 presets. 1 rack space.

Power amp: Parasound 2125. Smooth, cool running. 2 rack spaces.

Speakers: Custom Koa Daedalus W803's. Best I've ever heard. Very nice in intimate or Auditorium venues. Proel stands & heavy covers.

Portable Rack: Odyssey BR-418 4-space portable rack with built-in HD handle and wheels. The preamp, FX unit & power amp are easily transported & controlled in this rack.

Cables: Canare/Neutrik, Mogami, Planet Waves.

Vocal Mics: AKG 535 condenser (often). Heil PR 35 dynamic (often). K&H stands.

Loud Band or Gig Pickup: If it gets loud at a gig, I slap in a Duncan Magmic SA-6 magnetic soundhole pickup & either use alone or blend w/ the K&K. I turn off all instrument mic's. Nice sound. No feedback. Not as natural sounding as my regular pickup system. Great for loud settings, tight stages & slide blues.

Accessories: Shubb Capos, self-made glass slides, National thumbpicks, large Fender medium flatpicks, mixed sets of light gauge D'Addario's (high E is .013, B is .017) or sometimes TM GHS's, acrylic nails. CMC music stand w/ Mighty Bright flexible stand lights.

What I bring depends on the gig/venue.

alohachris

You ever play on the B.I. ?

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 01-07-2018, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Guitars/mandolin from my signature list, whatever takes my fancy - all K&K equipped...

For small, solo stuff:-
Roland AC60 - nothing else needed, dedicated guitar channel with inbuilt tone-shaping and effects, dedicated mic channel

For gigs with PA:-
PedalTrain Mini pedal board
TC Electronics PolyTune 2 Mini tuner
Source-Audio 4-Channel Programmable EQ
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Orchid Muting DI (Custom, with mains power instead of battery)
Diago power-supply, mains AC>9v DC

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-07-2018, 07:30 AM

Goodall Grand Concert

with

- 2 Dazzo 80s
- DPA 4061

into Headway EDB-2

Would love to try a Grace Felix and ToneDexter though.

In process of construction:
0-12 (own build)
Old 01-07-2018, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Someone is sure to point out that this is a zombie thread, so let me get that out of the way.

I have several PAs, one with a powered mixer and the classic speakers-on-sticks which I use for outdoor venues, for most things I use one of a couple of L1 rigs, including an L1 Compact, with a small external mixer for small, tight indoor gigs.

Because of some of the venue imposed constraints on set up, I have given up on various pick up systems, including but not limited to the much touted K&K and various sound hole magnetics, and recently gone to a Godin A6 Ultra. So far so good. My vocal mic of choice remains the time tested and reliable SM58.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification