The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-21-2010, 10:26 AM

Default Who has built a guitar from a kit?

I have been pondering building a guitar from one of the kits that are available from various web sites. I'm thinking of doing it just for fun and not starting any sort of business. I have reasonable woodworking skills and tools so I'm confident in my abilities of that sort. I would probably find someone to do the finish work as I don't have any of that equipment. I'm just wondering what people's impressions have been with the outcome. My expectations are certainly not to have an instrument the quality of what the builders that make guitars for a living are capable of, but I would definitely hope that it would be nice enough to want to keep around to play.

2008 Taylor 714ce Fall Ltd. Koa/Cedar
Old 12-21-2010, 10:59 AM

Never built a guitar, but I've been thinking about it.

I did build a tenor uke from a Stew Mac kit. If the guitar kits are anything like the uke kit, which I'm sure they are, you should end up with a decent instrument.

With a little bit of skill and time, you can do it. Just follow the directions. Their videos help a lot too.

Erik

2010 NS72CE
1969 Gibson J-50-D
1967 Martin d-12-35
Peavey Millenium 4 Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/partyofonemusic
Old 12-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

I built a Martin kit guitar about 15 years ago; before the days of readily available information. While the guitar I made was playable, it really wasn't worth the time/effort/cost as far as an instrument. It was fun though, as I had never worked before with chisels, scrapers, spokeshave, etc. It also provided me a greater understanding of the instrument. You'll have the cost of the kit, tools, jigs, etc plus all the time you spend (for me it really took away from my playing time). I guess it really boils down to why do you want to do it. If it is only to get a fair instrument for a minimal price you'd be better off buying something like an Eastman. If you want to do it for the fun and experience, go for it.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 12-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I started in the direction of building a kit, then bought an equipped Luthier out so my first build was a hybrid of scratch and prefab (neck, Bridge).
I would say with confidence I learned more building from scratch. But, thats because I did everything over 3 times. With a kit you don't have many of the hurdles I faced.
LMI sells a serviced kit. Meaning you pull from a menu what you would like pre done. You can get a fret board blank, or a fretboard slotted, or fretboard slotted/radiused....
There are a couple fellows that sell serviced kits. My preference is for John Hall because I know him and know how helpful he can be. He teaches build classes a few times a year and can anticipate your questions. You'll have them. I can't speak from experience I don't know if you get the behind the scenes advice from LMI that you do from John.
Have fun!
Old 12-21-2010, 12:46 PM

I'm just finishing my first kit and starting my second. Both are Blues Creek Kits from John Hall. My skill set was much like yours when I started. I've loved the experience and have a nice looking and I anticiipate what will be a nice sounding intrument. I second what Kitchen says about John being helpful. I also thought his materials quality was fantastic and his prices very good.

I also wouldn't automatically assume you'll need to farm out the finishing. I'm using the Stewmac brush on waterbased varnish. It's easy to work with and doesn't require and special equipment.

I'd say this, for the money you'll spend on the kit, you'll get a guitar that is about 90% as good cosmetically and much better soundwise than what you could buy for the same money. Now, that doesn't count what you'll probably spend on tools which could be as much as you'll spend on the kit. If you already have some things like, a tablesaw, bandsaw, drill press, dremel tool, you've got a jump on it. Files and rasps help. But I'm guessing you don't have cam clamps, nut files, go bar deck, etc. But hey, who doesn't need an excuse to buy more tools??!!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:15 PM

I'm getting ready to rub out the finish on my 4th guitar built from a kit and have started on #5. All of mine are from LMI serviced kits. The first two were fully serviced but with #3 I've been getting them with just the sides bent and top & back joined and doing the rest myself. The 1st was a parlor & the 2nd an OM cutaway, for these I pretty much followed the provided plans. The guitars came out well and sound good but I feel they are overbuilt and could be better. Before I started #3, another parlor I got a drum sander so I could have more control when I thickness the top and back. I also started drawing up my own plans for bracing. I built #3 much lighter than the earlier ones and it came out much better than the first parlor. For number 4, a noncutaway OM, I decided to build it very, very light incorporating a brace pattern and some other ideas based on Somogyi's "The Responsive Guitar". If it doesn't implode it should be a very nice instrument. Number 5 will be a small body 14 fret, 24.9" scale, steel string with a body shape the same as Hauser's 1937 classical guitar.

Kits are a good way to get started in guitar building and as you add more tools you can move towards scratch builds if you like. I've just about got everything I need to start building from scratch and #5 may be my last kit. For me the first couple of guitars were an exercise in learning building techniques and mechanics. Now I'm working on getting the sound I want from my guitars. After number 5 I'm planning on building a series of guitars with the same body size and shape but playing with the bracing to try to zero in on getting the sound I want.

If you start with a good kit, take your time and are careful you can build a good guitar. Be forewarned it is addictive.

Regards,
Ed
Old 12-21-2010, 11:14 PM

I bought an LMI kit 5 years ago. I had so much fun that I had to build another only this time from scratch. Now, I just strung up #29 tonite. It turned out absolutely beautiful and sounds like a "choir of angels". I have never built anything harder than instruments or more rewarding. I wanna quit my job and build full time (maybe in a year or two).
Try it you'll like it, although they're like potato chips, ya can't build just one!
Mikey
Old 12-30-2010, 04:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Tim built his first one from a Martin kit.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:55 PM

A lot of good thoughts here but I can speak from experience. Dont expect to like what you wind up with or even that you will succeed. The reason for doing this is for fun and learning. But if you are really into guitar you will love doing it. It is the process not the outcome.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:13 PM

I'm tickled with the first one I did, that I finished last March. It sounds very nice to me. It's a bit overbuilt because I didn't know better. I've finished my second, for my daughter, and will post pics of it soon. It sounds much better, thanks to Steve Kinnaird and Ryan Middlebrook who guided me on the top bracing.
But both the journey and the results were great for me.
Now on to the 3rd and 4th.
Bob
Old 01-07-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
A lot of good thoughts here but I can speak from experience. Dont expect to like what you wind up with or even that you will succeed. The reason for doing this is for fun and learning. But if you are really into guitar you will love doing it. It is the process not the outcome.
Why would you say that? I think it's reasonable to say that when finished I would feel it could be better since it would be my first build, but I'd be surprised if I didn't like it. My woodworking skills are such that I don't feel any shortcomings there, but certainly things such as bracing and finish could improve with additional builds.

2008 Taylor 714ce Fall Ltd. Koa/Cedar
Old 01-07-2011, 10:56 PM

I've toy'd with the idea for years but always thought the tools, jigs, etc. would cost too much. May I ask what the total build cost was?
Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner
‘96 Gibson J-100
Old 01-10-2011, 09:52 AM

I built a Martin HD-28 kit a year ago and am now building two more and am collecting parts for number 3. I put an adirondack spruce top on mine and it is a very nice sounding guitar. It's fun and you get to pick out everything on the guitar if you want. I have an Osage Orange/Sinker Redwood D-28 style guitar I am working on and just have to sand and buff the finish. I have an OO model Mahogany/Sinker Redwood I am making for my daughter. She picked out all the purfling and back strip. These were all kits.

I am now going to build one from scratch with peruvian walnut and Carpathian Spruce.

The tools are the most expensive part. You will need a band saw preferably 10" at a minimum. You can buy a lot of clamps at Harbor Freight and not break the bank. You will need a mold which will run $70-100 depending on where you buy it.

Give it a shot. you'll end up with a nice guitar in the end.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Hack View Post

The tools are the most expensive part. You will need a band saw preferably 10" at a minimum.
Howdy folks. Long time lurker, first time poster. I know a couple of the people who posted in this thread from another forum I frequent, the kitguitarforum.com. I must respectfully disagree with this band saw comment Mr. Hack. I do not have one, nor a table saw, nor a drill press. Why do you feel the band saw is necessary?
For tools, I can list what I had when I made my first two kits.
X-acto razor saw with fine tooth blade
3 cam clamps
4 ratchet clamps from Home Depot $5.00 per clamp.
1/2 inch chisel from Buck Brothers...Home Depot.
Hobby files from HD as well

I already owned a router, so I wont include that as a purchase for the guitar making.

I have to add that I bought a KennethMichaelGuitars Success Kit which includes some very important items for building a guitar:
The mold, cam clamps, bridge clamp and a bridge setting fixture, fret board emulator/ gluing caul and a few more things I cant remember, which were all invaluable, as were his online instructions and the simple, common sense methods he uses.
All in for my first guitar, I spent about $800 including sandpaper and finishing supplies. The guitar part of the cost was $400 (Sapele and Engelmann Spruce) and the Success Kit with its tools and fixtures added to that. This was also 2009, so prices probably went up. Ken Cierpilowski was there for me at every turn and my first guitar came out beautifully. I am at work, so I cant post pics, but others here can vouch for my two completed guitars. I can also post pics later today.
I should add that my "work shop" was my living room floor and a cheap Ikea chair, and sometimes, my couch. Slowed me down maybe, but its proff that you can do it without a fancy workshop.
What you do not need to build a guitar (especially if you do not know if you will want to build more)
A radius dish for the top and back
A Go-Bar deck
Special tape, rubber bands, etc from Stew Mac or LMI

If you have some basic hand tools and a router of some kind, you rpobably wont need to buy anything else and keep your costs down. I knew I wanted to build when I realized I might be able to actually pull it off.
I am currently working on an all koa, wedge OM, an all koa dread, and a curly claro walnut and cedar dread. I learned inlay, fine detail work, and patience from building. Prior to starting my first guitar, the only thing I had built out of wood was a pile of it. So, if I can do it, anyone can. Well...maybe not anyone, but surely a lot of people!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair