The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-04-2008, 05:38 AM

Default Need Help Identifying Old Resonator

Howdy folks! I'm hoping to tap into the vast knowledge base of those who frequent this forum by asking for help in identifying a guitar that was given to me by my father-in-law.

Thirty five years ago when my wife and I got married her dad gave me an old mandolin and resonator guitar that he said he played in a "hillbilly band" when he was younger. My wife, being twenty two years old at the time, said she had no recollection of her father playing either instrument when she was growing up, so I assumed his music playing days probably started in the 1930's when he also began working as a coal miner and stopped about the time he became a father for the first time in 1947.

Since Bob's passing in 2002 we've had the old resonator hanging on the wall next to our fireplace in his memory. Over the years lots of musician friends of mine have seen it but none has ever claimed to have any insight to its origins or to have seen anything similar to it.

Then two weeks ago at Papadeaux's Restaurant in Atlanta while visiting my sister, we were seated at a table that had an old picture (circa 1930's I'm guessing) of a string band hanging on the pillar next to my chair. In this photo was a young guy holding what looked to be an exact twin of the old resonotor that hangs by our fireplace. The photo was of a musical group from Louisiana according to the information there.

I guess I've kind of had the belief over the years that this was a sort of home made instrument that one of my father-in-law's friends might have made but since seeing that photo at the restaurant I'm convinced it may have been a part of some company's product line.

Below is a photo (please excuse the poor quality) of the old reso and a closeup of the headstock. Any insights that anyone might be able to offer regarding the manufacturer, construction, etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 06-04-2008, 08:05 AM

catdaddy,
I have its cousin, except mine is a blond vs. your sunburst. Mine has black tuner key knobs and black binding. The resonator plate on mine has the same hole pattern. Same black painted, 12 fret above the body, fret-board, with 7 frets below. Same f-hole pattern, in the upper bouts with a hole above and below. Same shape, paddle style headstock, but with a painted label at the top.
The label is a red shield resting on two gold, criss-crossed gold trumpetts.
The face of the red shield is divided into 4 areas. Upper left has a capitol letter B, lower right has a capitol letter F. The upper right and lower left quarters each feature a double musical note. Above the shield is a gold banner, with the printed word...musketeer. The covered bridge plate and raised string holder is exact.
I could never find out anything about this guitars background, but heres its story. My paternal grand father played clawhammer banjo, sometime during the great depression, he purchased it, used, from a older sister for 5 dollars, and learned to play guitar.
He later gave it to my dad who learned to play it before WW11. Dad teaches me to play on it during the early 60s. I then teach my son to play guitar on it in the 80s. Not bad, 4 generations learn guitar for a $5.00 investment.
About 20 years ago I had a local shop install a pick-up, to increase its volumn, and I asked the shop owner what he felt it was worth, he commented, about $5.00, same as when newer.
Its plays hard, frets eat the fingers, sounds like its full of socks, its hard to see how any of us stuck with it. But in those days, in southwest Va. there was not too many good guitars floating around, mostly old Kays and Stellas, so who would notice its defects.
I keep it stringed up and once in a while beat out a few blues tunes. And because of its family history, its valued at far more than its orginal price.
I would post a picture, but it was either a computer or a camera.
Good luck on your search for info, I,ll be watching.
Dale.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:38 AM

It sort of looks like an early Dobro model 27 to me.
http://www.vintageguitar.com/feature...s.asp?AID=1086
Except the headstock is a little different. Most were sold through catalogs; Dobros through Montgomery-Ward and Nationals through Sears and both made on the same assembly line in LA.

If Dobro made it it should have a serial number on top of the headstock and look for a small stamping on the coverplate giving the patent number or 'pat. applied for' - pre 1932.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:48 AM

Hey Dale thanks for the reply!!

That's a great story about the four generations of your family all getting their musical introductions on the same guitar! I understand what you mean about its value being measured in sentiment rather than dollars. I would never part with the guitar that my father-in-law gave to me regardless of monitary value. Having it here makes our home and our lives a little brighter each day. Hopefully by getting some information about the guitar's origins, my wife and I may be able to perhaps add some insight into her father's early life about which we unfortunately know so little.

JohnZ:

Thank you for the info and the link! A very informative article. After reading it however I'm more inclined to think that the guitar might be a Dobro Model 19 or 25. The picture at the top of the page is very similar to the guitar that I have and the author identifies that one as a model 19. It is mentioned in the article that that model was made from 1934 to 1937 at which time it was replaced by the Model 25. Unfortunately there is no picture of the Model 25 but its description in the text makes it clear that it was a very similar instrument.

Thank you both again,

Walt

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments