The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-20-2018, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Any new video lessons or books lately?

In addition to just getting Richard Saslow's "new Art of Ragtime Guitar" I bought yet another video lesson from Homespun. It's Woody Mann's "Do That Guitar Rag." Five intermediate tunes (they say level 2 but I think they sandbagged it to sell it, lol) that are all first position. Nice easy paced stuff with plenty of room to improvise with.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:41 PM

I have six DVDs still waiting for me...to finally use them.

Thanks for reminding me of what a procrastinating loooser I am.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Hi Barry,

I just picked up Beginner Fingerstyle Blues by Berle and Gallo based on a recommendation on another thread. https://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Fin.../dp/0825625564

I like the book. It really does start pretty much at the beginning, assuming you know basic first position chords. The first 75 per cent of the book is all exercises and 12 bar blues in familiar keys, and some of them are pretty musical. I was able to play most of them (not at the author's tempo, LOL) pretty quickly but I found them very worthwhile. There are 5 tunes at the end of the book I have yet to dig into, but they look interesting. Comes with a CD, too.

Another book that I use a lot is one I have never heard mentioned here, I only have it because about half of what my teacher assigns to me is from it. Tommy Flint's Fingerstyle Anthology. https://www.amazon.com/Mel-Bay-Antho.../dp/0871665174

This book also starts at the beginning, and uses exercises as a way to lead into playing tunes. Mostly folk tunes, with some very interesting and tricky arrangements.

I like these books that have more than just the tab to a song. A lot of the fingerings and picking patterns are still new to me, and having exercises as a way to lead into playing new material in the context of a song is very helpful.

I also picked up Saslow's ragtime book right after you did. I think it is great. I'm still toiling away on Ragtime Ramble and it's getting there. I'll be using that book for a long time!
Old 02-20-2018, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I have six DVDs still waiting for me...to finally use them.
I hear ya! I think I have enough books and DVDs waiting for me... I could fill the Library of Congress!

But I'll get there one day... most recently, I got a couple John Hurt DVDs. He's always been one of my favorites.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I hear ya! I think I have enough books and DVDs waiting for me... I could fill the Library of Congress!

But I'll get there one day... most recently, I got a couple John Hurt DVDs. He's always been one of my favorites.
I've got two screens worth of Homespun stuff, lol plus dvds, books and a bunch of Toby Walker's lessons. I'm buried in music.

My SoundCloud page

Old 02-22-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I've got two screens worth of Homespun stuff, lol plus dvds, books and a bunch of Toby Walker's lessons. I'm buried in music.
Glad I'm not the only one. I only play an hour a day...mostly for pleasure.

I recently signed up for Toby's Member's Club and will be trying some of his lessons as well. I am really getting interested in acoustic blues.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:54 PM

I like Ryan Kimm and Bryan Sutton’s lesson websites of which I’m a member of each and on all the time. Bryan’s site usually runs a special around Christmas for 50% off the yearly fee. I also like Steve Kaufman’s material.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Wait, I forgot TrueFire and Grossman......

My SoundCloud page

Old 02-22-2018, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

From Mac Pro Video I got "Deconstructing the Beatle"--chords and progressions.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-25-2018, 05:05 AM

Currently working on a Corey Congilio Truefire course. Really like this one. Progressively structured it works through rhythms, chord voicings and chord progressions.

https://truefire.com/acoustic-guitar...playbook/c1220

New books that have peaked my interest. Will probably purchase after I finish this course.

https://www.halleonard.com/product/v...0&subsiteid=1&

https://www.halleonard.com/product/v...0&subsiteid=1&

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write