The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-26-2008, 07:05 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default Can anyone help ID a Resonator guitar and a Mandolin?

Hi,
I am trying to help a fellow find out info on these. He wants to take the resonator apart and use it on another guitar. There are 2 full front splits and a few on the back. It is a National isn't it? the Fretboard is the Toilet seat swirly stuff. It is in pretty bad shape but I told him it could be a mistake to part it out. Are either of these of any value?

The Mandolin is cool looking. Someday I may have to add one to the coral. Did Yamaha ever make a mandolin...hmmm
Anyway, anyone? Can you ID her?

Sorry for the small images.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:42 AM

I'll make a WAG on the mandolin and say it's probably some kind of Lyon Healy. Here is a picture of a bowl back mando with a similarly shaped pickguard.

http://www.topshelfmusic.com/T9911960052.jpg

You can post your pictures on mandolincafe.com. I'm certain there will be someone there who can tell you for sure.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:10 AM

Generally speaking bowlback mandolins are of little value in the USA, not much in Europe either unless they are a good model of one of the best brands.
Most bowlbacks are unplayable- the neck has lifted and the top warped from modern strings which are too heavy for the way they are constructed.
I can't tell the make on yours. It has 16 ribs or so, making it a mid grade instrument. The best ones have many more ribs, the cheaper ones fewer.
If it is in ok shape and you want to play it be very careful about what strings you put on it. Even light gauge mandolin strings generally sold here in the US have too much string tension for an old bowlback.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments