The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-11-2007, 08:51 PM

Default resonator string q?

I was one of the lucky folks ,at Musicians Friend,blowout ,to get one of those Johnson brass resonators. I have had many esteemed folks past summer ,come and wear those strings out!! Backporch jams...?? Despite my years experiences ,have had none w/resonators cares and feedings,yea ,placed many a mic..but now I own one ,for mine tone pallettes,!! q#1 strings?? q#2 cleaning /care HELP ??
Old 10-12-2007, 08:20 AM

I had a little trouble wading through you post, but are you asking what strings to run on your reso? Gauge or composition?

Much depends on the way you will tune it and your set up. First, if you are tuning to standard, any good set of mediums or lights will do - many reso players prefer PB's. If you are down tuning two steps (like Blind Boy Fuller) mediums for sure. For open D or G and slide, mediums, maybe with a 14 or 15 on top. I happen to like the sound of an unwound third for slide - I think it is a 22 or 24 on mine. If you happen to be tuning to dobro G for lap slide consider the special sets (you'll want slightly lighter strings on the 5th and 6th because they will be tuned up).

A few biscuit players (like Scott Ainsley) tune up to open A, but they run lights and a very low break angle on the biscuit. A friend once tuned mine to A and crushed the cone - gave an excuse for a new Quarterman LOL. A spider can withstand a lot more tension than a biscuit, so string gauges are often a little heavier on them.

One last though, there are some reso players that say the original National strings were nickle and so that is what they run on theirs. I've never experimented with nickle strings - PB's sound fine on mine. There are also a few that argue that old strings sound the best - maybe a good reason to not use coated.

As far as cleaning it - a damp rag just like any other git.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments