The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-08-2015, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Okay, I made a few adjustments. The couch is now backed against the wall and the desk has been centered and moved away from the wall a bit. The instruments are now against the opposite wall.

I have ordered some monitor isolation stands for the desk.

I can't do the panels just yet.

Am I moving in the right direction here? If I understand correctly, I may need to turn the desk 180 degrees from what I have it now?

Todd

Sent from a cell phone. Sorry for any typos.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:26 PM

Your desk is still facing the wrong way per Kevwind's suggestion. Turn it around 180 degrees, then that whole area you are facing is the recording area.

If you make 2'x4' x 4" bass traps (Roxul 80 or OC 703/705) with frames, you can use eye hooks so that you can hang them or take them down and position them as movable gobos (that's what I do). You'll want panels at the points of first reflection on the walls to left and right for mixing, but these can be used as gobos when recording. End wall panels (front wall you are facing when at desk and back wall behind you when seated) will benefit from absorption, too.

Because of the doors/windows/wall-mounted a/c positioning of panels may be tricky - too late now, as those are things that should have been thought of at the building design stage. Still, you've got a great space to work with! I'd get rid of the leather furniture though - its squeaky, and that noise will get picked up when recording if anyone is hanging out at the time.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Last edited by MikeBmusic; 10-08-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Yes 180 degrees rotation and it looks in the top photo like the speakers are not quite equal distance from the side walls (or is that just camera angle) any way measure to make sure the speakers are exactly the same distance from the side walls. It sounds anal I know but it will pay big dividends in hearing the mix more accurately and making more informed mix decisions

Then you can easily find the first reflection location, Fran was talking about. Start by sitting in your listening position and have someone hold a medium size mirror on the side walls aprox 90 degrees to your right and left centered at eye level. Then have them move the mirror slightly back and forth until from your mixing position you can see the speakers drivers centered in the mirror ... this is the location of the first reflection point and where you should definitely place some 2 ft by 4 ft absorbers

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-08-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone! Great info and plenty to work with.

Todd

Sent from a cell phone. Sorry for any typos.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:51 PM

All good info . I'm building a new work desk but I'm a lost cause being stuck in an open floor plan home with the living room / dinning room as my recording space with noisy computer , kitchen refrigerator , heat and air always kicking on kids running around , Cartoon Network blaring in the back round lmao . I am so jealous you have a room ... My wife said I can't have the spare bed room it's for guests ..... Guess how often that happens .

Like to hear your work when the rooms done nice work
Old 10-10-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
All good info . I'm building a new work desk but I'm a lost cause being stuck in an open floor plan home with the living room / dinning room as my recording space with noisy computer , kitchen refrigerator , heat and air always kicking on kids running around , Cartoon Network blaring in the back round lmao . I am so jealous you have a room ... My wife said I can't have the spare bed room it's for guests ..... Guess how often that happens .

Like to hear your work when the rooms done nice work
Get two OC703 panels and a portable recorder. You can be up and recording in 10 minutes, torn down and ready for guests in 10 more.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 10-11-2015, 07:35 AM

Go you have a link to those things . My new desk will help with computer noise it will be 8 ft wide moving things away from a/c vent and tad farther from the fridge . But those Mics pick up every thing as you all know lol I'll try to find those panels you speak of .
Thanks .

Bonedigger that's on nice room . If you keep your desk like that I guess you need some damping on the back wall ?

I've wondered since I use a PC how do record in the middle of the room when your system or mine would be based over at the desk . I end up deleting multiple tracks do getting up every time won't cut it so how do you folks do it ? Long cables or laptops ?

Edit ; sorry don't mean to crash the thread .

Last edited by Riakstonic; 10-11-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I've wondered since I use a PC how do record in the middle of the room when your system or mine would be based over at the desk . I end up deleting multiple tracks do getting up every time won't cut it so how do you folks do it ? Long cables or laptops ?

Edit ; sorry don't mean to crash the thread .
Depending on what actual DAW you use and If you have a tablet or smart phone I have found the "V Control Pro" remote DAW control appication very handy for recording away from the computer . The Pro version is $49.99 but they also have a free version that is more limited but works for basic remote recording .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-14-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:

Wireless keyboard?

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD